this is getting ridiculous. Not 1 lb shed since June 18th (2

It has been 28 days since i've shed any weight. I started my diet on June 5th and lost a lot of weight right away by cutting calories. I am now at a complete standstill .. its getting really annoying. Im trying to increase my calories as per everyone suggestions but find it really hard to even eat 1200 calories ... im just not that hungry and get full quick. please help

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    What are you burning everyday? You might be undereating which will cause you to plateau. If you need to eat more but aren't as hungry, eat more calorie dense foods.
  • Esq88
    Esq88 Posts: 54
    i work out roughly 3 times a week and do about 25 minutes of fitness dvds (aerobics, buns thighs, abs) .. nothing crazy only burning about 150 calories.
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    thats probably the problem, you need to switch your workouts up and go harder. and make sure you eat 1200 calories. if it seems too much to "eat", then add more by eating things that are higher in calories, so you can eat jsut as much stuff, but end up with a higher calorie count
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    You should probably step up your workouts a little. Your body is plateauing because it's used to what you're doing.
  • maggieschuck
    maggieschuck Posts: 174
    What kind of exercise do you do? Try eating foods with a higher cal count. If you stay below 1200 on a regular basis then you will have a harder time dropping lbs. Your body needs cals to function with your normals actives and if you add exercise into the mix then you needs to eat 1200 for sure to support your body.

You have to train your body to accept more food. Shrinking your stomach is not going to help you. Nuts, trail mix, avocado or try a shake for a quick cal boost. Try to eat more often and graze or snacks are going to be your best friend. You can get stuck at plateaus for months if you don't make changes. It could be that you need to eat more or do different exercises. Either way the weight will come off eventually. You just have to stuck with it and know that we have all been there.
  • V44V
    V44V Posts: 366 Member
    What are you eating? Is your sodium high etc? Open up your diary and people might be able to help a little more :D
  • LBL07
    LBL07 Posts: 1
    Try splurging one day, sometimes bumping up your calories by about 400 will break your plateau
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    I would say try to burn more calories. Add some weight training and build some muscle. As we all know, muscle helps you burn more fat. You may want to up your calories more as well. 1200 seems very low. You may be in 'starvation mode'.

And keep a super close eye on your sugar intake and sodium intake. Those two things are crucial.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    hello =] i'm your height. I was stuck at 138 for about the same amount of time. I notice in your past 2 diaries you have not worked out. You should try going on a walk every day or something small like that to boost your metabolism.

Since your at a stand still-- you need to switch it up. For me, I had to up my calories, but that was because I was working out for 2 hours everyday, but for you I would say take a 30 min walk! =]
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Alrighty! Help is on the way. LOL! You aren't eating nearly enough. You are an inch taller than me so you are at a perfect weight. It's the last vanity pounds that will kill you so, first things first...what is your goal set at? When as close to your goal as you are you will need to be set on no more than 1/2 pound a week. You're not eating enough, so your body is holding on. I was stuck at the same weight for over a year doing the same thing. Try and keep the processed foods to a minimum..easier said than done! But try, as the sodium will cause serious weight gain. Drinking lots of water? Super important. As a fitness instructor (once champion couch potato) the amount of exercise almost isn't worth your time that you're doing...don't get me wrong...it's better than nothing for sure, but by the 25 minute mark you should be just about half way through your workout. Not done. The heart needs to pump and the body get warm, and then get pushed out of it's comfort zone. Results only occur when you push your body. So beef up the exercise and beef up the calories. Set your goal to half a pound a week, make sure you are netting at LEAST 1200, drink water galore and see what happens! You can do it!
  • jwbuffy
    jwbuffy Posts: 3
    Eating well can only do so much without exercise. You should be doing at least 4 days of cardio each week. No less than 30 min each time.

I think you have the hardest part down. My daily calorie limit is my nemesis.
  • Esq88
    i opened my diary & am open to any advice about my nutrition

as for the exercise i dont really enjoy working out thats why i dont really do much of it. I was able to lose weight before just by watching what i eat .. i thought exercise just "speeds" up the process
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    thats what happened to me. i plateued for 3 yrs and come to find out was that i was undereating and my body was going to starvation mode. i was also not eating enough protien. Have you been eating the calories that you burn off from exercise?
  • Esq88
    Alrighty! Help is on the way. LOL! You aren't eating nearly enough. You are an inch taller than me so you are at a perfect weight. It's the last vanity pounds that will kill you so, first things first...what is your goal set at? When as close to your goal as you are you will need to be set on no more than 1/2 pound a week. You're not eating enough, so your body is holding on. I was stuck at the same weight for over a year doing the same thing. Try and keep the processed foods to a minimum..easier said than done! But try, as the sodium will cause serious weight gain. Drinking lots of water? Super important. As a fitness instructor (once champion couch potato) the amount of exercise almost isn't worth your time that you're doing...don't get me wrong...it's better than nothing for sure, but by the 25 minute mark you should be just about half way through your workout. Not done. The heart needs to pump and the body get warm, and then get pushed out of it's comfort zone. Results only occur when you push your body. So beef up the exercise and beef up the calories. Set your goal to half a pound a week, make sure you are netting at LEAST 1200, drink water galore and see what happens! You can do it!

- i am at 142 right now and 5'7 with a small frame and a large chest/butt
    My realistic goal weight is to reach 135 lbs but my ultimate weight is 125-130

- i think i eat pretty "clean".. lots of fruits , veggies and my dinners are mostly smartones (im a law student barely any time to cook)

- i drink TOO much water .. is that possible? well its not water cuz i hate water .. i drink diet ice tea w/ ginseng either arizona or publix brand.. i go through a gallon in 2 days

im gonna try setting my goal to 1/2 a week and *Maybe try exercising more
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Eating well can only do so much without exercise. You should be doing at least 4 days of cardio each week. No less than 30 min each time.

So true. Gotta get a good calorie burn in I'd say 4-5 times a week and eat most of those calories back. I know, I know.... it sounds counter productive. But I swear it works. It worked for me.
  • Here is my advice for you:

1) Start with some positive thinking and focus on what you want and think and act as if it a reality.
    2) Delete deep fried food from your life forever.
    3) Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.
    4) Delete all junk food from your life forever.
    5) Eat more fruits and vegetables.
    6) Monitor your digestion. Goal: three #2's a day - eating more fruit and vegetables will help with this.
    7) Are your workouts challenging or are you just going through the motions? You should feel, at the very least, uncomfortable, hopefully challenged.
    8) Measure your food, you may be eating more than you think.
    9) Cut the carbs, replace rice and potatoes with vegetables or salad.
    10) Relax and be happy! Stress activates the cortisol hormone which increases abdominal fat.

Good luck, stay positive and it will happen!

www.fitnessali.com

myblog:
    http://fitnessali.wordpress.com/
  • Esq88
    Here is my advice for you:

1) Start with some positive thinking and focus on what you want and think and act as if it a reality.
    2) Delete deep fried food from your life forever.
    3) Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.
    4) Delete all junk food from your life forever.
    5) Eat more fruits and vegetables.
    6) Monitor your digestion. Goal: three #2's a day - eating more fruit and vegetables will help with this.
    7) Are your workouts challenging or are you just going through the motions? You should feel, at the very least, uncomfortable, hopefully challenged.
    8) Measure your food, you may be eating more than you think.
    9) Cut the carbs, replace rice and potatoes with vegetables or salad.
    10) Relax and be happy! Stress activates the cortisol hormone which increases abdominal fat.

Good luck, stay positive and it will happen!

www.fitnessali.com

myblog:
    http://fitnessali.wordpress.com/

as to advice #6 .. yeah right =X ill be glad if that happens that much per week =\
    as for the others i already do all of that and still dont see results
  • Esq88
    thats what happened to me. i plateued for 3 yrs and come to find out was that i was undereating and my body was going to starvation mode. i was also not eating enough protien. Have you been eating the calories that you burn off from exercise?

3 years sounds terrible :(
    i eat mostly protein
  • Esq88
    Try splurging one day, sometimes bumping up your calories by about 400 will break your plateau

i keep telling myself that if i splurge maybe it will kick the plateau BUT at the same time my head is telling me ive come this far i eat so clean how dare i go grab a pack of chips or candy =\
  • Either wait 1 more week, trust me, or slightly up your calories. Sub in more calorie dense foods like a beef dinner. Eating candy is not a good habit to 'add more calories' because they're useless nutritionally..

Thin people do not lose weight linearly (i.e. consistent). Your body is holding on. Up your calories a bit, say 1800-2000 every 3 or 4 days.

BTW I am 5' 8", 150 and I burn 2200 calories just sitting around (I monitor using Bodymedia FIT 24/7). I plateau for 3 weeks, then drop a few, repeat. Slightly up your cals and keep your chin up...