this is getting ridiculous. Not 1 lb shed since June 18th (2

Options

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    i work out roughly 3 times a week and do about 25 minutes of fitness dvds (aerobics, buns thighs, abs) .. nothing crazy only burning about 150 calories.

No I mean what are you burning everyday. Not just your workouts but everything you do during the day. It matters.

I'll give you an example. You burn calories doing anything during the day from walking, eating, sleeping, playing ball, doing the dishes, cooking, working out....EVERYTHING.

You need to know what you are BURNING throughout the day in a 24 hour period. Then you eat a 500-1000 calorie deficit from there.
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Always eat at least 1200 calories, no less, my doctor told me that. You have many days that are less. Your body can get used to those low calories and your metabolism slows down.

I yo yo with my calories and exercise. One day 1200 calories, the next 1400, same with exercise. Walk, bike, stairs, aerobics. Never let your body know what you are going to do.

Also take one day off a week where you might eat 1600 calories. Not junk, but good food.

You really do not have much weight to loose, it does get harder the closer you get to your goal, but try eating more.
  • Esq88
    Esq88 Posts: 54
    Options
    Either wait 1 more week, trust me, or slightly up your calories. Sub in more calorie dense foods like a beef dinner. Eating candy is not a good habit to 'add more calories' because they're useless nutritionally..

Thin people do not lose weight linearly (i.e. consistent). Your body is holding on. Up your calories a bit, say 1800-2000 every 3 or 4 days.

BTW I am 5' 8", 150 and I burn 2200 calories just sitting around (I monitor using Bodymedia FIT 24/7). I plateau for 3 weeks, then drop a few, repeat. Slightly up your cals and keep your chin up...

thanks for the advice everyone!!!
    i changed my goal from 2 lbs to 1 lbs loss a week so it is set at 1430 calories a day now

im gonna go out to dinner tonight and take that advice :)

what do you mean wait one more week? is there some sort of cycle you go through where you pleateau?

Also ...

does eating before and after 6 make really any difference? should i maybe shut my mouth by 6 pm? i mean i do go to sleep pretty late like 2 AM most days
  • Esq88
    Options
    i work out roughly 3 times a week and do about 25 minutes of fitness dvds (aerobics, buns thighs, abs) .. nothing crazy only burning about 150 calories.

No I mean what are you burning everyday. Not just your workouts but everything you do during the day. It matters.

I'll give you an example. You burn calories doing anything during the day from walking, eating, sleeping, playing ball, doing the dishes, cooking, working out....EVERYTHING.

You need to know what you are BURNING throughout the day in a 24 hour period. Then you eat a 500-1000 calorie deficit from there.

last time i checked i think it was 1750- 1800 a day
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    are your clothes changing? You might be losing inches
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    SHBoss is a friend of mine on this site and has been very helpful to me and countless others here. Very knowledgable on weight loss and nutrition. He has a blog and here's a topic you may want to check out. He has some very good information. I enjoy reading his entries.

http://bankshealth.wordpress.com/category/starvation-mode/
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I notice in your diary there are days when you're taking in way too much sodium. May be one of the reasons why... MFP's sodium limit set way too high already as it is.
  • Esq88
    Options
    Thank You for everyones input and suggestions. I really appreciate each and every one!!
  • Esq88
    Options
    are your clothes changing? You might be losing inches

not a major difference in the fit of my clothes. I live in FL now so i barely wear jeans (which used to be my indicator in NY as to how they fit)

i did take my measurements and i noticed a small change .. im at 27" waist 35" bust 38" hips
  • joejccva71
    Options

Not trying to be a smartass, but how did you check? Did you go by a formula on a website or did you go by what MFP tells you?

Just to give you an idea.

I workout for an hour at the gym in the morning, I walk 5 blocks from the gym to work, and walk 5 blocks back to the subway to go home. I sit down most of the day as I work in IT at my job. I mean I occasionally walk around at work but mostly a sit down job, and I burn 3500-3800 calories a day.

Granted I'm a male, but still. I'll be willing to bet that you burn more than you think you do and you're undereating severely. If I were to guess I'd say you're burning around 2200-2400 calories a day unless you do nothing all day.

Eat more calorie dense foods.
  • Esq88
    Options
    I notice in your diary there are days when you're taking in way too much sodium. May be one of the reasons why... MFP's sodium limit set way too high already as it is.

if i take in too much sodium i really dont notice it =\
    there was one day where i had 2 margaritas with salt on the rim and i was like 2000 over my sodium =X
  • Esq88
    Options
    SHBoss is a friend of mine on this site and has been very helpful to me and countless others here. Very knowledgable on weight loss and nutrition. He has a blog and here's a topic you may want to check out. He has some very good information. I enjoy reading his entries.

http://bankshealth.wordpress.com/category/starvation-mode/

thank you for the advice im gonna read it right now
  • Esq88
    Options

Not trying to be a smartass, but how did you check? Did you go by a formula on a website or did you go by what MFP tells you?

Just to give you an idea.

I workout for an hour at the gym in the morning, I walk 5 blocks from the gym to work, and walk 5 blocks back to the subway to go home. I sit down most of the day as I work in IT at my job. I mean I occasionally walk around at work but mostly a sit down job, and I burn 3500-3800 calories a day.

Granted I'm a male, but still. I'll be willing to bet that you burn more than you think you do and you're undereating severely. If I were to guess I'd say you're burning around 2200-2400 calories a day unless you do nothing all day.

Eat more calorie dense foods.

i did check a website - caloriecontrol.org - 1892.8 calories
  • joejccva71
    Options

If you drink plenty of water per day it does not matter as much as you think it does. I eat double the amount of sodium intake that MFP suggest and drink 1-1.5 gallons of water a day as a bodybuilder and it's fine.
  • Esq88
    Options

If you drink plenty of water per day it does not matter as much as you think it does. I eat double the amount of sodium intake that MFP suggest and drink 1-1.5 gallons of water a day as a bodybuilder and it's fine.

does my body retain all the water i drink ?
  • joejccva71
    Options

The more water you drink, the more comes out. Thats essentially why they recommend you drink enough per day. This releases water retention in your body.

If you've ever been in a sauna, and you take a water jug with you and stay in their for 15 minutes...you sweat so much that right before you come out, lick your arm or the back of your hand and see if it still tastes salty. If you are drinking alot of water while in the sauna, you will sweat alot of that salt out of your body. Make sure you replenish your sodium intake after you come out of the sauna though.

Back on topic.....

Your body retains water but if you drink enough, you'll pee it out.
  • tamiller93
    Options

If your body thinks it isn't getting enough water, it will hold onto whatever water it can. Thus, water weight gain. Give it plenty of water, and it will turn loose what water is stored. 8 cups a day (equals about 4 bottles of water).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    It has been 28 days since i've shed any weight. I started my diet on June 5th and lost a lot of weight right away by cutting calories. I am now at a complete standstill .. its getting really annoying. Im trying to increase my calories as per everyone suggestions but find it really hard to even eat 1200 calories ... im just not that hungry and get full quick. please help
    So are you just dieting or do you exercise too? Dieting alone will stall usually within 4 weeks.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    i opened my diary & am open to any advice about my nutrition

as for the exercise i dont really enjoy working out thats why i dont really do much of it. I was able to lose weight before just by watching what i eat .. i thought exercise just "speeds" up the process
    Okay, just saw this. Dieting alone stalls in about 4 weeks of consistent calories deficit. Not to mention that if you are just dieting alone without exercise, there will a good amount of lean muscle tissue catabolized. The less lean muscle you have, the slower your metabolic rate will be which is why many who just diet to lose weight stall within 4 weeks. Your body is burning significantly less calories per day than 4 weeks ago.
    Find an exercise activity you like to do.
  • tamiller93
    Options
    Here's another thread from the MFP Message Boards you may find interesting:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits