How to vegetarians get past the bugs? HELP!

Options
I've been trying to incorporate alot more veggies in my diet. But, I can't get past the bugs/worms thing. I just cut into a big red radish to find a big brown worm inside it. YULK!! In my brussel sprout, same thing, worms, except I actually found a live green worm. YULK! Then, romaine lettuce, cabbage, cut it in half, and bugs/worms!!! YULK!! Husked corn, bugs. Yulk! This is however over a 6 mo. period of time, but it's still really gross! How in the world do you get beyond the slimy little creatures eating my fresh veggies?? It's enough to turn anyone away from veggies!!! How does everyone get past this? I need help because I really need to eat more veggies for 'empty/free healthy calories'!!
How is it I can eat almost everything else, no matter how unhealthy, but bugs really get to me??

Replies

• bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    as a vegetarian my entire life, I can assure you i have ever come across this issue...
  • BettyMargaret
    BettyMargaret Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I break down and wash everything before I eat it. What I hate the most is the grit, but I haven't found any critters like you have! My Goodness!
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    This has never happened in my life, where the hell you get your veggies from?!
  • ruffledviolet
    Options
    That's happened to me maybe 3x in my life. If you buy packaged stuff you'd probably be better off.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I've never found bugs or worms in my fresh fruits and veggies, so it hasn't been a problem for me. When I pick stuff from the garden or bring it home from the farmers market, or even the stuff I buy in the produce section of the grocery store, I wash it immediately and store it in the fridge. Maybe that can help?
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I've never come across bugs in my veggies..I'd stop buying them wherever you are buying them..
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    as a vegetarian my entire life, I can assure you i have ever come across this issue...

I want to shop where you shop! :smile: (I assume you meant 'never'?)
  • ruffledviolet
    Options
    You could also not look. haha.
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My grandmother often commented that if there are bugs in your food then you know it's fresh! LOL, not a lot of help, but it always made me laugh.
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    I think you just need a new place to shop for veggies or a new place to store them. Have never had this problem except for crab apples from my aunts tree
  • jessimacar
    jessimacar Posts: 291
    Options
    You might want to reconsider where you're getting your veggies from. I have never once found a bug in my vegetables!
  • Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for about 3 years and I have NEVER had that problem! I would recommend that you stop buying your veggies whereever you are buying your veggies and go somewhere else?
  • Uk_Yogini
    Uk_Yogini Posts: 167
    Options
    Maybe I have been lucky, but I am yet to find creepy crawlies in my produce :) I can see how you would be grossed out by that though ! I would say, don't let that stop you buying fresh fruit/veggies, just make sure you wash everything really well and maybe you need to take a close look at everything before you plate it, just to be sure nothing got past you.
    Good Luck !
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    This has never happened in my life, where the hell you get your veggies from?!

My thoughts exactly.
  • jazzyminx
    jazzyminx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian since 1989 and I've never had this happen. I've had some sand in my leeks or pebbles in bulk lentils, but never bugs/worms in my fresh vegetables.
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    The only time that has ever hapened to me is with fresh vegetable my father in law bring me straight from his garden. Just make sure you wash them well and check them and it will be fine.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    .....that's not normal.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    The only fresh produce I've ever found a little worm in was organic bicolor sweet corn from my neighbor's garden. Where are you shopping?
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I have only found a worm in a cob of corn but the grossest was when I found worms in a Mr Good Candy bar now that was unexpected.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    These are not the comments I was expecting! What's my problem??? I shop at two major food chain stores - I won't mention names (I don't know why, but). After shopping, the first thing I do is wash veggies and package ready for use. It's not until cutting for prep that I find the dead little buggers. I know they aren't in my fridg! I had to return an entire bag of brussels sprouts about a month ago because 19 out of 27 had worms, and told the produce manager about it. He didn't seem concerned, and just had his latest delivery removed from the shelf! Are local Farmer's Markets a better bet?