How to vegetarians get past the bugs? HELP!

Options

Replies

• Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    This has never happened in my life, where the hell you get your veggies from?!

Seriously my thoughts as well. . I have never had this happen. . where are you getting veggies from???
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    im a pescatarian but i never had the bug thing ever happen to me (shudders) i would consider changing where i get my veggies from or stick to frozen
  • Eirhren
    Eirhren Posts: 18
    Options
    as a vegetarian my entire life, I can assure you i have ever come across this issue...

I've been vegetarian for over 5 years now, and I've never had that issue. So sorry it's soiling your image of vegetarian eating. I would suggest never again buying your vegetables from wherever you bought them in the first place. Good luck : )
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    You could also not look. haha.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I eat a lot of produce.

I am a big fan of local Farmer's Markets - except you still have the critters, but they are ALIVE still.
    But at least you know they are there because there are no pesticides. :laugh:
    And they are moving, so you can be sure you will notice and remove them right away!

Good luck - don't let 'nature' prevent you from enjoying the bounty.
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Honestly, that's not normal. I've never once had that issue, and I get my veggies from a few different places - farmer's markets, a small local store, and from growing them in my own backyard. I'd change where you shop, to be honest. D:
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    That ain't right... I'd have to wonder about your veggie source.

I'm a good Southern boy and have for years eaten veggies right out of the ground, during the humid buggy summer, in perhaps the second most bug loved place in the world, next to the Amazonian rain forest. I've found wormies in corn a few times, and occasionally on leafy greens, but never anything like what you've described. Ever.

I now live in a (sorta) city, and buy veggies at times from our local farmer's market. All fresh goodies. I've found no more nor no fewer bugs in that arena than when I grazed in granny's garden for snacks.

You gotta change where you get your stuff!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Yep I'd have to agree with everyone else here. Maybe you should get veggies somewhere else.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I eat a lot of veggies and have never had that problem. From time to time I'll have a bug on the veggies, but that has only been when it comes from an outdoor farmers market.
  • Sweetlux
    Sweetlux Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Count them as protein.
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Ya, shop elsewhere and wash before you eat.

Might be an odd question.... Why address just vegetarians? :huh: Just curious.
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Count them as protein.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:tongue:
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Count them as protein.

:laugh: Nice try!! :laugh:
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    at least your not finding only half a bug. I can't believe no has mentioned that yet.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it IS normal to find bugs in fresh produce. It comes from the ground/outside! Bugs need to eat too! I used to work at Boston Market, which was inside a grocery store, and we'd get our lettuce/other fresh produce from the store itself, and I came across tons of bugs. But that was my job- to wash everything thoroughly and make sure all the bugs were gone.

Are they dead bugs? The ones I see are always alive. I saw it a lot more when I was working there (as we went through a lot of produce), but I've still found worms in my lettuce and celery over the years recently as well. Yeah, it is gross, and I make my husband deal with it, but it is normal, and natural, and I'm a bit concerned about all the people saying to buy your food elsewhere.

You can use a vegetable wash if you are concerned.
  • meka325
    meka325 Posts: 47
    Options
    Uh...never had a bug in my veggies.
  • runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    Options
    I get a lot of fruit and vegetables. I purchase mine from, more than one major food chain, farmer's markets and road side stands. I have never come across and bugs in my produce.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    You're more likely to find bugs if you buy organic. So if you're finding bugs, at least you know you're not eating pesticide. Silver lining?

But if it's a common problem, I would consider changing where you shop. What kind of worms are they? Like regular worms, or maggots? Maggots are a problem.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Stop buying organic, buy the normal stuff. The health benefits of organic are greatly overrated.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate all of your feedback. They are standard veggie eating bugs, mostly worms - no maggots. I'm guessing the veggies were just harvested while the buggies were munching away. I guess they are just a part of nature. :ohwell: I'll try to get past it!! Might have to have a conversation with the Produce Managers at both stores though. I'll try to continue on... :smile:
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Why bother talking to the produce managers, just change stores, ew. Honestly they should be begging at your feet for you not to advertise this I have never heard of such a thing!

I shop at a standing farm market in Phoenix, Sprouts, Pro-Ranch's, Food City, Safeway, and Fry's (Kroger) and never ever had this kind of aproblem. In Ohio I shopped at Topps, Giant Eagle, Marc's and Heinene's. In CT I shopped at Big Y, Stop Shop, A&P, Price Chopper and Waldbaums. Some of these are all natural stores, some are cheapo discount stores, some are overly pricey and others' are normal grocery stores. I have shopped at farm stands and gotten produce from my grandpa's garden. I have never ever ever had a bug in my produce from a store.

I did have one once when I ate a pita sandwich thing at Oscar's 10 years ago. (Phoenix)

Now I guess a living bug could be a natural occurance, but 20ish??? In one bag?? That seems insane.

Maybe find someone who lives near you and ask where they shop?
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm about 98.9999% vegetarian and I've never run across the problems you have. I always break down and wash my stuff real well when I first bring it home .... but I've never seen any critters rinse off.

As it's already been mentioned .... organic might be why you're running into such infestations. Organic is overrated. If you're still having problems, consider switching produce stores :laugh: