Who lost lbs eating exercise calories that MFP gives?

Options
13»

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I am curious to know who does NOT use a heart rate monitor, yet goes by MFP's exercise calories and eats them back and continues to lose weight? I have 2 heart rate monitors. I know that I am big but walking outside for 60 mins one says I burn 900 calories, mfp says I burn 400 and the other hrm does not take my weight into consideration says I only burn like 300... which one is correct? i want to just use mfp's numbers but I want to know if anyone has actually lost using their numbers. thanks!

I only had about 35 pounds to lose, and I have always eaten about half the calories that MFP calculates for my exercise. I lost very steadily and never platueaed.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    HRM with a chest strap should be the most accurate if you input your info correctly and it is working- check it periodically while you are working out. If it shifts, it may be measuring your heart rate wrong. If you are going to use that, make sure to subtract the calories that you would have burned in that time if you weren't exercising so that you don't overeat!

If you are going to use the MFP calculations, I'd suggest only eating about half of them back. It does take your weight into consideration, and you will burn less doing the same thing the less you weigh, but it can't take everything into consideration. It has no idea how hard you pushed yourself- or didn't! I figure that eating about half of them back will make sure that you aren't eating too little, but also ensure that you aren't overeating either.

And listen to your body, too. If you are hungry after a work out, it is ok to eat more- your body needs the fuel!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I dont trust MFPs exercise calories at all. Its too general.

Example. I play badminton, in leagues. MFP says 100 minutes of competitive badminton will burn 1275 calories for me.

...really?

So, is that singles or doubles? What about downtime between games? Between points? Easy or hard games? Some nights we get thrashed and i barely break sweat, other nights i can barely breath after a game. 30 mins on a treadmil/Bike totals about 300 calories according to the machines at the gym that take my height weight etc, and my heartrate gets far higher and i feel more exhausted on those.

This is why i never eat back my exercise calories, as if i were to eat back what MFP said i burned, it'd soon start piling back on again!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    When I first started my weightless journey in January I did not have an HRM and lost about 15 pounds using just the machine calories. I feel that I lost weight faster with an HRM because I knew more accurately what I was burning.

You also need to remember that males burn more then females, larger people burn more then smaller people, tall people burn different then short people and so on down the line.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I don`t own a HR monitor and am down more than 20pounds so far I just use the gym machines or MFP and eat back some to all my exercise cal.