Fat and muscle...HOW?

Options
124»

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've been reading on the message boards that running helps a lot with shedding belly fat so I started running two weeks ago......it works! My stomach is getting smaller! :flowerforyou:

Read this hun:

http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/The_Final_Nail_in_the_Cardio_Coffin.cfm

I go by MY results and I just took my measurements today and I've lost 2.8 this week and 1.5" off both my waist and my hips........not bad for a myth. :laugh:

I'm not saying it doesn't work...I'm saying there's better ways. I'm also not saying that you shouldn't do cardio...I'm saying that the cardio you should do should be in interval format for best results.
    Calories in < calories out = fat loss

This is true...in a very, very simplistic manner. There's all kinds of other thigns going on in your body. Hormones control all of it. Basic format, steady state cardio actually produces hormones that chew up your muscles. Yes, you're burning calories...but you're doing it in a very ineffecient manner. This is a proven fact. Interval format cardio (along with weight training)...produces hormones that SHED FAT. Your body says 'HOLY CRAP...all this fat is making my job HARDER!!!' and bam, here comes the growth hormone etc to get rid of it.

I don't run, don't use the elliptical, don't ride the bikes, and don't do ANY FORM of steady state cardio. I've lost 30lbs (I'm 177 today) in about 3mos...6 weeks of which I was on a plateau, because I was eating wrong. In the last three weeks, I've cut 5" off my waist, along with gaining 3/8" on my biceps. I do bodyweight strength training, and interval format (my favorite is tabata) heavy bag work...pretty much exclusively. I burn 350-380cal in a 30 minute workout...and only work out 3 days a week. I eat like a horse for the most part (though I've started 'Eat Stop Eat' recently).

Believe me, you can run to your hearts content, and over time it will cut weight if coupled with the right diet. Or you can do interval format cardio along with strength training...and see real, FAST results.

By the way, I'm not telling anyone they are wrong...I'm telling you all how I've done it...and how many others are doing it as well.

I think it needs to be said that how men lose weight and how women lose weight is TOTALLY different. Because a woman's body wants to always be prepared for a possible pregnancy, you will notice that (as a rule) our bodies fight us when it comes to fat burning through the middle region. Is it possible to burn it? Yes, but it is likely going to be more difficult than it will be for a man. It's just how life works, unfortunately. I've done hard core cardio and burned almost all the fat off my body. All that's left is in my love handles and some in my belly. It's getting harder and harder to convince my body to burn it off. I've started doing cardio AND strength training ... it is definitely helping. But, I won't discount cardio because running is how I've burned the majority of the fat off my body.

We are all different (especially male to female) when it comes to weight loss. Experiment to see what works for YOU.

(BTW, my boyfriend NEVER does cardio and doesn't have much fat on him (if any... pffft) and he does just fine. If *I* didn't do cardio - I know I wouldn't have burned the fat off me that I have...).
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I gained 21lbs of muscle and lost 25lbs of fat this month.

Pffft I did this once in about 26 minutes. I got on the scale and it said I was at 23% BF and then I brushed my teeth drank a glass of water, did my business, took a shower, step back on the scale out of idle curiosity and bam I was at 16% with only a 1lb weight difference.

Ever since then I've been brushing my teeth like a mad man, and taking a ton of laxitives. And since this is obviously the best form of exercise on the planet it's the only thing I do now. Laxatives and toothpaste for everybody I say!!

Please allow that there are massive magin of errors when measuring body fat. Especially if the starting point is up near 50%.

These measurments have been pretty consistant over the last 5 days. Except today because last night I had a free day.

LOL

ok so one free day caused you to put on what percentage of body fat? Did it also cause you too lose muscle? How many times did you check your starting measurement?

And after you wake up tomorrow and get back to your pretty consistent numbers are you going to say that whatever exercise you did today makes you drop 1? 2? 3%? BF over night?

Yeah that's like saying diuretics makes you build musle mass. I know when to expect water weight and when not to. Isaw your profile. I give you props on your weight loss. You're the one who should be the MOST supportive and encouraging, you're the least just so you know. Sometimes weight loss changes people for the worse.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I think it needs to be said that how men lose weight and how women lose weight is TOTALLY different. Because a woman's body wants to always be prepared for a possible pregnancy, you will notice that (as a rule) our bodies fight us when it comes to fat burning through the middle region. Is it possible to burn it? Yes, but it is likely going to be more difficult than it will be for a man. It's just how life works, unfortunately. I've done hard core cardio and burned almost all the fat off my body. All that's left is in my love handles and some in my belly. It's getting harder and harder to convince my body to burn it off. I've started doing cardio AND strength training ... it is definitely helping. But, I won't discount cardio because running is how I've burned the majority of the fat off my body.

We are all different (especially male to female) when it comes to weight loss. Experiment to see what works for YOU.

(BTW, my boyfriend NEVER does cardio and doesn't have much fat on him (if any... pffft) and he does just fine. If *I* didn't do cardio - I know I wouldn't have burned the fat off me that I have...).

Did you try strength training and intervals? MANY women out there have excellent success with it. Far more success than they had with pure steady state cardio.

Again:

http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/The_Final_Nail_in_the_Cardio_Coffin.cfm

That's just one example of many all over the web.
  • portexploit
    Options

Did you try strength training and intervals? MANY women out there have excellent success with it. Far more success than they had with pure steady state cardio.

Again:

I saw your link of your results in your footer notes, you done great so far, just wanted to congratulate you. Not sure if you’re aware, but you can make your pics smaller. I use this free tool call “pix resizer” You can start to paste them in to paint and make one big image out of it, assuming you want that.
  • tiffanyrose519
    tiffanyrose519 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I wish we could spot reduce! It seems like my thighs will never shrink! :(
    For my belly, though, I did notice once I was combing cardio and strength training (thanks Jillian Michaels!) my stomach has a lot less fat and much more definition!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I am also a PT, I don't think you're understanding what I am saying. It's not about getting your "TRUE" bodyfat %. You guys are saying it's inaccurate. My bodyfat is inaccurate or my measurements? If I stand on a scale weighing 200lbs and the scale shows I weigh 400lbs. I workout for a month, the scale shows I lost 20lbs. This is in inaccurate scale obviously. What is the difference .05%. Doesn’t matter where you start from, if the scale says I weigh 1000lbs or 10lbs doesn’t matter, what matter Is that the end result is a .05% difference from WHERE EVER you start. This is what I am talking about, the ratio is still the same. My ratios are for every lbs of fat I lost I gained 83% of muscle. This means if I only lost 10lbs of fat I gained 8.3lbs of muscle. Like I said before I don’t care about the % of fat loss, I care about my measurements.

Trust me, as a PT myself, I have been in this game a long time. I went through this many times in my head. It just doesn’t make sense, you can’t argue with math. The more I think about it, the more true it becomes. First thing I did is I weighed myself, showed I lost 4lbs. An hour later, I remember I have a body fat measurement, I do the math compare it to my old results, it said I lost 25lbs of fat and gained 21lbs of muscle. What is the difference 4lbs, exactly what the scale said, If these calculation where wrong, they wouldn’t line up with the scale. A few days later, I use another method to measure my body fat it’s pretty consistent with the tape measure method. I lost about 2inches from my stomach, maybe a little more. How much weight loss is 1inch from the stomach about 10lbs. I lost 2inches that’s about 20lbs. I know someone is going to try to be a smart *kitten* and say “so if I don’t eat dinner I’ll lose 10lbs?” I measure it every morning. 20lbs is pretty close to my calculation, yet the scale only shows 4lbs.

Also I use ketosis which will reduce water retention. It’s not water retention trust me. I am experienced in this field, and like I said it doesn’t make sense to me. I know what you’re saying about the calorie surplus. I talked to my friend about my results, he is a physiology major, I asked him about my results, I tried to explain my theory of why it happened , he said to me an exact quote from email, “I wouldn't think about it too much and keep doing what you're doing. There is obviously improvement and we don't have to exactly explain it to see it.”

My only real explanation is cAMP(cyclic AMP). In my fasted state this triggers an anabolic state, fasting is a form of stress releasing growth hormone and from my understanding even IGF-1, of course the adrenal receptors too. When cAMP is activated it activates protein synthesis(muscle building) and energy production(your fat burning), while stimulating all these hormones like GH. The body works on a biofeed back mechanism. In this fasted state exercised state my body is under a lot of stress, it’s doing whatever it can to hold on to that muscle, looking everywhere in the body for nutrients. It releases growth hormone to preserve the muscle, adrenaline to keep me going, both of these burn fat. It’s trying to synthesis protein, in this peak state of my body craving nutrients; I finish my workout and eat about 2500 calories. The body will race to repair the muscle since it is interpreting a lot of damage to it. I also have a free day, i have to be in ketosis a minimum of 5 days to have my free day. Which aids in leptin, and prevents thyroid issues (such as a slower metabolism).

My diet and workout are based around my body’s hormones, obviously this isn’t your standard diet. I took all my experience, ideas, knowledge, education, and wrapped it in to this package. About my results, as I said I am skeptical myself, but I can’t argue with the numbers. All I can do is see next months results, and see how they relate to my other results to catch any flaws or inaccuracies.
    Please understand that what you've posted is so out of the ordinary even with the explanation of why you may think may have gained so much muscle.
    Since there is much more evidence from pro and amateur bodybuilders (whose job is to put on size and cut down for comps) and knowing that even with the strictness of their nutrition, workouts and rest, that putting on even 10lbs of pure muscle in a year is a HUGE feat in itself and that they up their calories immensely to do it, I'm inclined to stick to the numerous proofs they provide.
    Again I've seen where a couple of people added muscle while on deficit, but they were very big to begin with, little to no training experience and the muscle gained wasn't more than 7lbs max.
    Good luck to you on your goals.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Again:

I saw your link of your results in your footer notes, you done great so far, just wanted to congratulate you. Not sure if you’re aware, but you can make your pics smaller. I use this free tool call “pix resizer” You can start to paste them in to paint and make one big image out of it, assuming you want that.

Thank you...I'm still working very hard...and it seems the results are coming faster now, rather than slower (which is what people expect)...which in my opinion lol, is great.

Photo editing is something of a hobby of mine lol...I have multiple versions of Photoshop, along with a few other programs I use to do specific tasks. The reason I didn't post those as a collage, is first...MFP requires very smallish pictures...so posting them one above the other etc gives more viewing room for each picture. Second, I wanted to tell something of a story as well...with the captions.
  • portexploit
    Options
    I am also a PT, I don't think you're understanding what I am saying. It's not about getting your "TRUE" bodyfat %. You guys are saying it's inaccurate. My bodyfat is inaccurate or my measurements? If I stand on a scale weighing 200lbs and the scale shows I weigh 400lbs. I workout for a month, the scale shows I lost 20lbs. This is in inaccurate scale obviously. What is the difference .05%. Doesn’t matter where you start from, if the scale says I weigh 1000lbs or 10lbs doesn’t matter, what matter Is that the end result is a .05% difference from WHERE EVER you start. This is what I am talking about, the ratio is still the same. My ratios are for every lbs of fat I lost I gained 83% of muscle. This means if I only lost 10lbs of fat I gained 8.3lbs of muscle. Like I said before I don’t care about the % of fat loss, I care about my measurements.

Trust me, as a PT myself, I have been in this game a long time. I went through this many times in my head. It just doesn’t make sense, you can’t argue with math. The more I think about it, the more true it becomes. First thing I did is I weighed myself, showed I lost 4lbs. An hour later, I remember I have a body fat measurement, I do the math compare it to my old results, it said I lost 25lbs of fat and gained 21lbs of muscle. What is the difference 4lbs, exactly what the scale said, If these calculation where wrong, they wouldn’t line up with the scale. A few days later, I use another method to measure my body fat it’s pretty consistent with the tape measure method. I lost about 2inches from my stomach, maybe a little more. How much weight loss is 1inch from the stomach about 10lbs. I lost 2inches that’s about 20lbs. I know someone is going to try to be a smart *kitten* and say “so if I don’t eat dinner I’ll lose 10lbs?” I measure it every morning. 20lbs is pretty close to my calculation, yet the scale only shows 4lbs.

Also I use ketosis which will reduce water retention. It’s not water retention trust me. I am experienced in this field, and like I said it doesn’t make sense to me. I know what you’re saying about the calorie surplus. I talked to my friend about my results, he is a physiology major, I asked him about my results, I tried to explain my theory of why it happened , he said to me an exact quote from email, “I wouldn't think about it too much and keep doing what you're doing. There is obviously improvement and we don't have to exactly explain it to see it.”

My only real explanation is cAMP(cyclic AMP). In my fasted state this triggers an anabolic state, fasting is a form of stress releasing growth hormone and from my understanding even IGF-1, of course the adrenal receptors too. When cAMP is activated it activates protein synthesis(muscle building) and energy production(your fat burning), while stimulating all these hormones like GH. The body works on a biofeed back mechanism. In this fasted state exercised state my body is under a lot of stress, it’s doing whatever it can to hold on to that muscle, looking everywhere in the body for nutrients. It releases growth hormone to preserve the muscle, adrenaline to keep me going, both of these burn fat. It’s trying to synthesis protein, in this peak state of my body craving nutrients; I finish my workout and eat about 2500 calories. The body will race to repair the muscle since it is interpreting a lot of damage to it. I also have a free day, i have to be in ketosis a minimum of 5 days to have my free day. Which aids in leptin, and prevents thyroid issues (such as a slower metabolism).

My diet and workout are based around my body’s hormones, obviously this isn’t your standard diet. I took all my experience, ideas, knowledge, education, and wrapped it in to this package. About my results, as I said I am skeptical myself, but I can’t argue with the numbers. All I can do is see next months results, and see how they relate to my other results to catch any flaws or inaccuracies.
    Please understand that what you've posted is so out of the ordinary even with the explanation of why you may think may have gained so much muscle.
    Since there is much more evidence from pro and amateur bodybuilders (whose job is to put on size and cut down for comps) and knowing that even with the strictness of their nutrition, workouts and rest, that putting on even 10lbs of pure muscle in a year is a HUGE feat in itself and that they up their calories immensely to do it, I'm inclined to stick to the numerous proofs they provide.
    Again I've seen where a couple of people added muscle while on deficit, but they were very big to begin with, little to no training experience and the muscle gained wasn't more than 7lbs max.
    Good luck to you on your goals.

Thanks, yes i contribute most things to me just starting working out again, yes I am bigger. I am 72inches at 319. Of course these gains if they're even accurate will continute at this rate. A person just started out running will make a bigger % in improvment than a olympic athlete, they are at their peak, it's hard to go beyond that. Time will tell in the long run, if these results are inaccurate. Once again thanks.
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options

Stopped reading at "I am also a PT."

You said you started lifting a month ago and a lot of the stuff you're saying is impossible even on steroids.

All of the folks in this thread are 100% right, you're either miscalculating your bodyfat on a grand scale or trolling.
  • portexploit
    Options

Stopped reading at "I am also a PT."

You said you started lifting a month ago and a lot of the stuff you're saying is impossible even on steroids.

All of the folks in this thread are 100% right, you're either miscalculating your bodyfat on a grand scale or trolling.

Doesn't matter if i miscalculated it, the ratio is still the same. I think the ratio was a 78% gain of muscle for every pound of fat loss. Assuming I got "half" of what i calculated, despite my 3 different methods of testing which all seemed to fit perfectly together. If i got half the results, that would be 12.5lbs of fat loss, and a gain of 10.5lbs of muscle, so be it.
  • Skaren
    Skaren Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are amazing...they adapt very quickly...this is what we call a plateau...so you have to keep changing things to keep 'Stressing' the body so it continues to be inefficient and thus burns through more calories.

FITT
    frequency (how many days a week)
    Intensity (intervals, endurance, sprints)
    type (gym, classes, hiking, canoeing...)
    time (30 minute workouts, 75 minute workouts, 10 minute workouts...)

You can switch any one or more of these four parameters in your workout routine regularly.

Keep in mind that millions of years ago, when there were only lions and no grocery stores, our survival depended on catching lions. So the more efficiently we burned calories, the less energy we spent running after the lion so the chances of catching him were good and thus my family survives.

Keep changing your lion.