Big Black Women

Options

Replies

• takemeaway10
    Options
    In all honesty, America is FAT, and it has been getting fatter since the '70s at a terrifying rate. EVEN ASIANS ARE FAT IN AMERICA!! This applies to ALL races in America; if you don't believe it, take a look at some photos of people in the early 70s or before -- yourself, your family, any random people at all--how do they look? a bit different than the general population today, eh?

We are fat because we eat junk. We make excuses that it's cheaper, easier, whatever, but it is what it is. My great grandmother had 14 children. FOURTEEN CHILDREN. She lived on a farm and they grew all their own food. She did not have a car, she did not have a dishwasher, she did not have INDOOR PLUMBING. She was poor. She was thin.

Poor people used to be thin. Now poor people are fat? No. Americans are fat because we have become lazy and forgotten what real food is and how to prepare it.

Tell you what, a few years ago I visited Armenia 3 times. I am 5'4 and weighed about 130 lbs (right what I weigh now) at the time. I was a fitness instructor then, as I am now. Guess what? I was F-A-T in Armenia. My luggage was lost and after 5 days I went to shop for a new skirt. I could not fit in size large there. That's right, Miss Size 4 (American fake-vanity size 4, of course) could not fit into an Armenian size large.

They do not have McDonald's, they do not use microwaves, they do not have partially hydrogenated oils or even prepared foods in their grocery stores! You want a jar of spaghetti sauce? forget it! Buy some tomatoes, onions and herbs and make it yourself. Interesting, in the capital city, Yerevan, there are very few middle class people--you see rich people in Hummers, and you see old ladies walking with donkeys, but NO ONE IS FAT.

There is no solution in "accepting" that you will always be fat, or that your certain race is meant to be fat, or skinny or whatever.

You control what you eat. You decide what to buy. A meal at McDonald's for my family of 6 is NOT cheap. It would cost over $45 and have essentially no nutritional value. However, tonight I will grill a 2-lb. organic marinated tri tip from Whole Foods for about $23, a 1/4 lb. of cabbage slaw from their salad bar ($1.75) and a bag of organic tortillas for about $4. I will make guacamole from 2 avocados ($1.50) a some chopped onion and tomato and a squeeze of lemon. Also I think I will grill some asparagus (2.99 for a pound), and serve some fresh strawberries and raspberries ($5 from farmers market).

So tonight for LESS THAN $40, my family of 6 will enjoy tri-tip soft tacos with homemade guacamole, asparagus, and fresh berries for dinner. And we will have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

blessings.

Why is that when one poses a question about a certain race, someone comes in and says, "That doesn't only apply to that race! It's applies, to X, Y, and Z!" That's fine and dandy, but not the point. Understand that African-Americans have a unique relationship with food. Also, you could feed a family of 6 with much less than $5 if everyone got 4 or 5 items off the dollar menu. Yes, Whole Foods is an option, but not everyone has transportation.

And then you compare our country to a completely different country, one with different resources, work ethics, GDP per capita, etc.... not relevant.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    well, you can be angry and whine, or you can take action. your choice. also, if you are trying to make a socio-economic point, then comparing ourselves to a poorer country IS relevant. comparing ourselves to our own country 30 or more years ago is also relevant.

Also, everyone chooses how they spend their money, and I do choose to shop at Whole Foods for certain items, not because I am rich, (in fact both my husband and I have been out of work for about a year -- we budget VERY carefully) but because we choose to make healthy good food a priority for our family of 6. Also I walk there, so my transportation is free, so you may get down off your high horse, thankyouverymuch.

anyway, I did not ignore OP's point about her community. I am pointing out the obvious fact that America is fat and much of America denies that it is fat. You will not find fatter people anywhere in the world than in America and Australia -- white, black or otherwise.

So ya, btw if you noticed my edit, I ended up getting tilapia instead, and fed everyone for about $20 with leftovers for tomorrow. So that is under $2 per person and they each get 2 meals. 2 meals x 6 people off the dollar menu for less? I don't think so. Also, I'd have to drive to McDonald's = gas money.

blessings.
  • sleepytexan
    Options

Are you really trying to say that socioeconomic status has nothing to do with healthy food availability and then trying to say Whole Foods is affordable?

yes. I am. In fact, if you looked at socio-economic status in rural America where people do not have access to fast foods you might see something different. Access vs. educated food choices and cooking healthy food for yourself instead of buying junk. hmmmmmmm.

Budget carefully and choose what you will spend where. I certainly do not buy TP and dish soap there but guess what, their organic grass-fed marinated tri-tip is only $1 more per pound than Albertson's mystery meat. So, for $2 extra dollars split by 6 people, I'd say it's affordable. Plus I can walk there and I have to drive to the supermarket and spend money on gas. There you go.
  • Christina269
    Christina269 Posts: 110
    Options
    I love this post and the point you made... Be the change you want to see, right?

It's hard to change your ways when everyone in your life doesn't see why things need to change.
    I fight that issue in my own home!

I'm proud of you.
  • LLaDonna
    LLaDonna Posts: 126
    Options

Are you really trying to say that socioeconomic status has nothing to do with healthy food availability and then trying to say Whole Foods is affordable?

yes. I am. In fact, if you looked at socio-economic status in rural America where people do not have access to fast foods you might see something different. Access vs. educated food choices and cooking healthy food for yourself instead of buying junk. hmmmmmmm.

Budget carefully and choose what you will spend where. I certainly do not buy TP and dish soap there but guess what, their organic grass-fed marinated tri-tip is only $1 more per pound than Albertson's mystery meat. So, for $2 extra dollars split by 6 people, I'd say it's affordable. Plus I can walk there and I have to drive to the supermarket and spend money on gas. There you go.

^ This is the next stage of socioeconomic/race conversations in America. First, we can wax nostalgic talking about impacts of slavery, superficial tenets of culture and using all kind of touchy rhetoric. When that wears out, we can start sharing the ways we own our choices and "walk our talk"...and see where that takes us.
  • fontrella
    fontrella Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I just started this site tonight. I have been heavy all my life. I am willing and wanting to lose this weight.
  • monalisa64
    monalisa64 Posts: 15
    Options
    I loved your post it was absolutely nicely put.
  • sleepytexan
    Options

^ This is the next stage of socioeconomic/race conversations in America. First, we can wax nostalgic talking about impacts of slavery, superficial tenets of culture and using all kind of touchy rhetoric. When that wears out, we can start sharing the ways we own our choices and "walk our talk"...and see where that takes us.

ok well, be as you choose to be. Congrats to the OP for choosing to be healthy. blessings.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    This topic is what one of my girlfriends and I just talked about. Were were laughing and saying as a community we need to get real and start calling "thick" what it usually means- overweight. There is a difference between curvy and overweight and if we keep it real, we can recognize it. Beyonce and Serena Williams, give me those bodies anyday. I want people (specifically black people) to stop speaking negatively about Jennifer Hudson; she was overweight and she took action. She looks great. Monique has lost weight, but she could stand to keep it up and stay in the gym. Gabourey Sidibe is morbidly obese and needs to lose weight; she shouldn't ignore it. I think everyone should love themselves, BUT love yourself enough to be honest and know that you are putting yourself in danger. People keep telling me, "Don't lose that much weight you are gonna look sick," but the fact is I AM SICK NOW. If I can be lean and not take hypertension and cholesterol medications and be scared to death of developing diabetes, I say let me LOOK sick. I am a size 14 right now and absolutely miserable. I am the smallest person in my biological family and they really don't understand me at all. I love my husband for being a very healthy and very real man and encouraging me to be the same. I am a black woman and I LOVED being an 8. 14, yeah right! I like my curves, but not the rolls of fat that I have gotten with them. In a perfect world, I'd love to keep my boobs and butt, but if I can get rid of the back fat, jiggle belly, and untoned thighs, it will be well worth the sacrifice.
  • HankFit247
    HankFit247 Posts: 139
    Options
    Welcome!

We're all here to provide assistance and support. Just let me know how I can be of personal assistance.

Hank
  • adoreclaire
    Options
    How is Beyonce overweight? She is like 130 lbs.
  • JoeB71
    JoeB71 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Great post.

IMO, people should focus on looking like what makes them feel happy not what others say you should look like.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I really had no clue that it is a cultural thing. No wonder my hubby thinks I am too boney! Thanks for the enlightenment.:flowerforyou:
  • knowmydestiny
    knowmydestiny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i live in a predominantly black neighborhood. in our schools, the gym program has been eliminated completely because of lack of funding. the leaders and community activists do not focus any energy on promoting the need to get these kids (or adults) moving more or promoting healthy eating habits. unfortunately we have to spend lots of time worrying about other issues like guns, violence, drugs and gangs. michelle obama has been a great role model for everyone (of all races) to get moving and eat healthy.

btw: the original post did not mention McD's at all. i believe the post mentioned convenience stores which sell candy, chips, muffins, little debbie snacks and whatever else will stick to our butts.
  • HankFit247
    HankFit247 Posts: 139
    Options
    Welcome!

We're all here to provide assistance and support. Just let me know how I can be of personal assistance.

Hank
  • shack1157
    shack1157 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Well, after reading all the different views from a large variety of backgrounds I just have this to say: People it is what it is! You are what you eat, but you can also be what want to be. To quote another MFP member whose name currently slips my mind, "Discipline is the diffrence between what you want now and what you want in the long run."

I was raised in a sourthen home environment where there was biscuits and gravey, lots of foods fried in lard. And sweet tea made with lots of sugar! I decided I was tired of being overweight and feeling like crap! I grew up in the inner city of Toledo, Ohio I went to school with Blacks, Hispanics and whites. It is the individual that choose what they are going to eat. No one forces us to eat unhealthy foods. If we have children it is the PARENT's responsiblity to see that they eat healthy not the schools or society to govern. America is over weight and it is not a Black, Hispanic or any other ethnic back ground issue. It's an American issue! Start manning up and being repsonsible for your own decisions and that of your children. Besides I though this was a site to encourage strength for all people to diet and get the support they need. I see over weigth White people just as much as I see over weight Black and Hispanic people (and if that's not the point, don't bring race into it!).

As for the stores the grocery owner is going to put on the shelves what his customers want to buy! I have asked my store to carry items when I want them and can't find them. Good luck to all who are taking their issue of weight into their own hands and accept it is their responsibility not that of the world to solve. Don't set yourself up for failure by making excuses that put the blame on others.

Down 85 lbs.
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I have a question... Which is harder; finding healthy food choices or finding clothes that fit and look nice on you?
  • takemeaway10
    Options
    well, you can be angry and whine, or you can take action. your choice. also, if you are trying to make a socio-economic point, then comparing ourselves to a poorer country IS relevant. comparing ourselves to our own country 30 or more years ago is also relevant.

Also, everyone chooses how they spend their money, and I do choose to shop at Whole Foods for certain items, not because I am rich, (in fact both my husband and I have been out of work for about a year -- we budget VERY carefully) but because we choose to make healthy good food a priority for our family of 6. Also I walk there, so my transportation is free, so you may get down off your high horse, thankyouverymuch.

anyway, I did not ignore OP's point about her community. I am pointing out the obvious fact that America is fat and much of America denies that it is fat. You will not find fatter people anywhere in the world than in America and Australia -- white, black or otherwise.

So ya, btw if you noticed my edit, I ended up getting tilapia instead, and fed everyone for about $20 with leftovers for tomorrow. So that is under $2 per person and they each get 2 meals. 2 meals x 6 people off the dollar menu for less? I don't think so. Also, I'd have to drive to McDonald's = gas money.

blessings.

There's no anger or whining here, but you definitely can't tell me when anger is necessary for me.

You WALK to Whole Foods. I love how you keep making this about you! I also love that you proved my point! Please tell me that you're walking more than 16 miles to Whole Foods and you can bring your Tilapia for 8 people and fresh produce back home in time so that it doesn't spoil, because this is how far my grandmother lives from a Whole Foods and that is how many people live with her. Look, I know that a non-black person is not incapable of understanding (as proven by some of the posts), but I don't expect non-blacks to understand. But don't try to tell me that my life is a lie. NO, you didn't explicitly say that, but when you have to take care of a house full of people with little money and no transportation, trust me: Whole Foods is not an option. Now, I'm sure we can create a thread about being fat in America... this isn't the thread. If it's OK with you, I'd like to stick to the topic.

Let me add that Tilapia ain't that cheap here in the cheapest of stores; I live in Miami.
  • takemeaway10
    Options
    I have a question... Which is harder; finding healthy food choices or finding clothes that fit and look nice on you?
    The latter, for me.
  • takemeaway10
    Options

While this discussion is erring on the side of politics and I don't want to get into that, let me just say that systematic racism is real. I hear a lot of invalid complaints, i.e. drug dealer complaining about "the man" trying to bring him down; those people are to be ignored. But, there are valid reasons to reflect on the past and how it currently affects us.