Replies

• ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Mine is anything with cranberries!
  • ashleymariec89
    ashleymariec89 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    None, cereal isn't good for you....un needed carbs.
    HUH?
    double HUH

This is not new news.......... There are a lot healthier choices for breakfast than cereal....cereal has a lot of carbs, and a lot of times a lot of sugar. Advertising has made cereal look like something "healthy" to be eating when you are trying to loose weight. cereal=processed. And by her saying that she is sick of the cereal she is eating, is implying that she is not only eating it religiously, but too often at that.
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Dorset Simply Fruity Muesli. Absolutely love it!

I also like Weetabix Minis Chocolate Crisps but I can't eat them because I continually refill my bowl. :(
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Cereal is pretty high in cals and has really, really small serving sizes (who eats 1/2 a cup of cereal?). Add in 100+ cals of milk... Yikes.

I don't eat a lot of cereal, but my boys like it. I get them Barbara's shredded oat squares, original flavored Puffins, Quaker shredded oats in brown sugar or cinnamon, or Annie's bunny cereal.

They also like Honey Bunches of Oats, but I would never eat that.

When I do indulge, I make sure I only serve myself the serving size, use unsweetened vanilla almond milk (1/2 cup has 20 cals) and slice in some strawberries.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    My favorite used to be Kix. Then they sweetened them which I didn't like. Then they switched back to the way they were before. I'll still eat them occasionally. I do like the Ezekiel 4:9 raisin and the almond the best.
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    HUH?
    double HUH

This is not new news.......... There are a lot healthier choices for breakfast than cereal....cereal has a lot of carbs, and a lot of times a lot of sugar. Advertising has made cereal look like something "healthy" to be eating when you are trying to loose weight. cereal=processed. And by her saying that she is sick of the cereal she is eating, is implying that she is not only eating it religiously, but too often at that.

look there is no one size fit all answer. i have friends who is doing great on a low carb diet, and there is others like me doing great on a low cal diet. Dont say your way is the healthiest cause it dont work like that. Everyone is different.
  • GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    HUH?
    double HUH

I actually don't even eat the same cereal that often. My breakfast is usually wheat toast and a egg.
    I ask the question as when I do eat cereal, on the rare occasion, it is the same cereal. Life, or Honey bunches of oats. Because the are the cheapest and most reasonable>.<. They don't hold much protein, You want to talk usualess carbs? What about the muffins, and donuts eaten for breakfast? If its between junk food and cereal, go for the cereal.
  • jamaicaqueen24
    jamaicaqueen24 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love special k fruit and yogurt. I eat only 3/4 cup with smart balance fat free milk.
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Cereal is pretty high in cals and has really, really small serving sizes (who eats 1/2 a cup of cereal?). Add in 100+ cals of milk... Yikes.

I eat 40g of cereal with low fat greek yoghurt (or skimmed milk) and it has under 200 calories altogether. I wouldn't say that's bad.
  • ashleymariec89
    Options
    HUH?
    double HUH

look there is no one size fit all answer. i have friends who is doing great on a low carb diet, and there is others like me doing great on a low cal diet. Dont say your way is the healthiest cause it dont work like that. Everyone is different.

even if you are going low cal, cereal isnt the answer...it has a lot of cals too, and plus the milk that you put with it........
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I like Newman's Own honey flax bran flakes.
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    HUH?
    double HUH

even if you are going low cal, cereal isnt the answer...it has a lot of cals too, and plus the milk that you put with it........
    what are you talking about? at most depending on ceral its like 300? how is that high cal? and cereal is alot better choice then doughnuts or muffins like the op said, and funny thing i eat it all the time and im always under hmmmm....weird.....
  • dointime
    dointime Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I love Kashi Go Lean Crisp. I honestly love it so much, that I rarely buy it because I tend to eat more of it than I should! Sometimes I use it as a sweet treat instead of breakfast, it's that yummy. And I tend to like the regular cereals that you do, so you might like it too. It can be pricey, but places like Target and Walmart are generally cheaper than regular grocery stores.
  • ashleymariec89
    Options
    HUH?
    double HUH

what are you talking about? at most depending on ceral its like 300? how is that high cal? and cereal is alot better choice then doughnuts or muffins like the op said, and funny thing i eat it all the time and im always under hmmmm....weird.....

300 cals (not including milk, and considering you only eat ONE serving)... hmmm lets see I can think of a million things I could eat for 300 cals that is a lot healthier than cereal. And if ur going to compare cereal to doughnuts and muffins, why don't you compare it to the more healthy things you could eat instead?! And I just looked at ur food diary, and I would not say you "always come under" just because you are allowed a certain amount of cals by MFP guidelines doesn't mean you should eat them. Eating 700 cals one day and 3,000 the next...... have your cereal.....
  • kalcide
    kalcide Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Wow! what a tongue!!

anyway back to topic

porridge! keeps me going all morning.

or weetabix
  • GreenSkinnyJeans
    GreenSkinnyJeans Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    thanks?XD
    Mmmm oatmeal : 3.
    One time I took someones suggestion and put in protein powder mix...Worst idea ever D: it tasted so bad I couldn't even finish half a bowl without gagging, haha!
  • skinnimini16
    Options
    Banana nut cheerios :D
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    Banana nut cheerios :D

never heard of those but they sound delicious

THUMBS UP TO CEREAL
  • mendogirl
    mendogirl Posts: 87
    Options
    kashi cereal is great & so is special k. sometimes kashi can be a lil higher in the calorie department, but it is all natural and lots of good grains and fiber:)
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    HUH?
    double HUH

300 cals (not including milk, and considering you only eat ONE serving)... hmmm lets see I can think of a million things I could eat for 300 cals that is a lot healthier than cereal. And if ur going to compare cereal to doughnuts and muffins, why don't you compare it to the more healthy things you could eat instead?! And I just looked at ur food diary, and I would not say you "always come under" just because you are allowed a certain amount of cals by MFP guidelines doesn't mean you should eat them. Eating 700 cals one day and 3,000 the next...... have your cereal.....

I don't know about you but I need the carbs. They are an essential part of my diet and endurance training. Without them I wouldn't be able to do the things I do as I wouldn't have the energy. That being said... my favorites are Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Cookie Crisp... :tongue:

ETA: Also just because YOU don't need the carbs doesn't mean that other can't eat them. Don't push your diet onto others as everyone is different, there is no ONE answer.