1200 cal intake is not working for me.

Options
13»

Replies

• marybsalmon
    marybsalmon Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you're burning 600-700 calories, 1200 can't be enough to eat. Try doing a Basal Metabolic Rate test (you can calculate it online) and figure out how many cals you burn without any activity. Then add in your workouts, and you should eat close to that.

I'm not sure I understand this. Help me out.

According to the BMR tool, my BMR is 1,571. I burn an average of 400 per day in exercise (if you take the weekly amount of 2786/7). I've been keeping my net calories to 1,400. (And I haven't been seeing any weight loss in the last month!) So is this telling me I need to increase my net calories to 1,971 average???
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    took a look at your diary. i would suggest a few things first before you lower your cals.

1-try tracking sodium, you are eating a lot of processed stuff, and too much sodium really can make a difference.
    2-you need more real food, specially fruits and vegetables.
    3-if you are filling out your diary fully, you don't eat enough most days. there are an awful lot of days you didn't break the 1000 cal mark, and even when you did, alot of those cals were empty cals from things like chocolate bars or coconut tarts :P

what you eat can make a huge difference, it's not just about the cals. your body needs the nutrition that comes from real food, even more so because you are eating a deficit to lose weight.
    you for sure don't want to lower cals and up exercise, specially as most of the time you are already eating lower cals. i would try making sure you eat your full 1200, plus whatever exercise cals you get everyday, and doing it by eating real food and more fruits and veggies.

this!!!

i was eating 1200 cals and not eating exercise calories back, and ht a plateau.
    Only way i was able to move it was to eat those exercise calories back... virtually all of them most days... and seems the closer i am to NET 1200 cals per day, the better my weekly losses even though i am now only 19 pounds from my goal.

trust the mfp system. it does work.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    if your goal is 1200 and u burn 700 then you need to be EATING 1900

^^This^^ (yay, Sarah, pick up the torch)
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    1200 a day??? how do you all do it! I just can't do 1200 cals! I need to eat much more than that, my calories have never gone below 1400 a day
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I eat like 1800 calories or more and lose weight! Up your calories
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    If you're burning 600-700 calories, 1200 can't be enough to eat. Try doing a Basal Metabolic Rate test (you can calculate it online) and figure out how many cals you burn without any activity. Then add in your workouts, and you should eat close to that.

I'm not sure I understand this. Help me out.

According to the BMR tool, my BMR is 1,571. I burn an average of 400 per day in exercise (if you take the weekly amount of 2786/7). I've been keeping my net calories to 1,400. (And I haven't been seeing any weight loss in the last month!) So is this telling me I need to increase my net calories to 1,971 average???

Pretty much yes! However, if you aren't hungry, I wouldn't eat back the calories. But if you are hungry, eat the calories you burnt exercising back. Your body needs fuel!!
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    increase your calories and eat more protein.....if you dont like lean meats try whey blended with banana and peanut butter. That right there is 300 cals.