oohhh new study!! too much water is bad for u

Options
new study says too much water can actually damage ur kidney and dehydration is a myth!!!
http://style.uk.msn.com/health/could-drinking-too-much-water-be-bad-for-you
sorry but they do state how much is too much - Dr. Margaret McCartney, a general practitioner who works in Glasgow, says telling people to drink two and a half pints, of water every day "not only nonsense, but thoroughly debunked nonsense."
would love to hear peoples views on this!
my opinion- water is a bit overated. 2 pints a day has always been fine for me but most articles say 2and a half or more depending on body mass

Replies

• RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I trust mother nature! When I'm thirsty, I drink. Wow. What a concept! I've never had a problem dehydrating.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Too much water is bad for you and can be lethal
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    If you read carefully, it says: 'The current evidence is that there really is no evidence' to support the idea that water helps people to lose weight by suppressing their appetite. MY COMMENT - I DONT EXPECT IT TO "SUPPRESS" MY APPETITE!

We've also been told that drinking water is good for flushing out bacteria from our kidneys but a study has found that it could actually cause kidney damage, instead of preventing it. It has also been found that drinking excessive amounts of water can also lead to disrupted sleep as people have to get up in the night to go to the toilet. MY COMMENT - WHAT'S THE DEFINITION OF "EXCESSIVE AMOUNTS" OF WATER? AND YEAH - IF YOU DRINK LOTS OF WATER BEFORE YOU GO TO BED, YOU'RE GONNA WAKE UP TO USE THE RESTROOM. SO MAYBE STOP A FEW HOURS BEFORE BED - BUT FRANKLY, I'M AT THAT AGE WHERE I'M GONNA GET UP AND USE THE RESTROOM DURING THE NIGHT ANYWAY.

So, I suppose if you're looking for an excuse to drink less water, here it is. Me? I'll just keep drinking my 10-12 cups a day. I believe in the benefits of drinking water.
  • suprfast
    suprfast Posts: 49
    Options
    too much of anything is bad. I would guess most people consume too little water so the story would apply to the one in ten million.

I consume upwards around one gallon of water per day. There are days where I feel its too little, others that I must force myself to choke down. Just drink it.
  • brianpride
    brianpride Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Too much of ANYTHING can be bad for you. Everything in moderation is my motto. (Someday I might even live up to it.)
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Obviously too much of anything isn't good. Duh. But dehydration a myth? That's just stupid
  • mialsya
    mialsya Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If you read carefully, it says: 'The current evidence is that there really is no evidence' to support the idea that water helps people to lose weight by suppressing their appetite. MY COMMENT - I DONT EXPECT IT TO "SUPPRESS" MY APPETITE!

We've also been told that drinking water is good for flushing out bacteria from our kidneys but a study has found that it could actually cause kidney damage, instead of preventing it. It has also been found that drinking excessive amounts of water can also lead to disrupted sleep as people have to get up in the night to go to the toilet. MY COMMENT - WHAT'S THE DEFINITION OF "EXCESSIVE AMOUNTS" OF WATER? AND YEAH - IF YOU DRINK LOTS OF WATER BEFORE YOU GO TO BED, YOU'RE GONNA WAKE UP TO USE THE RESTROOM. SO MAYBE STOP A FEW HOURS BEFORE BED - BUT FRANKLY, I'M AT THAT AGE WHERE I'M GONNA GET UP AND USE THE RESTROOM DURING THE NIGHT ANYWAY.

So, I suppose if you're looking for an excuse to drink less water, here it is. Me? I'll just keep drinking my 10-12 cups a day. I believe in the benefits of drinking water.

Well said!
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Obviously too much of anything isn't good. Duh. But dehydration a myth? That's just stupid

I agree.
    If you're thirsty you're already in need of a drink by then.
    Drink a bit throughout the day and more if actually thirsty. Should be good :O)

I think that makes sense anyway,
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I was hospitalized for dehydration a few years ago. There for 3 days. You don't want to go there.
    Better to overhydrate than UNDER.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    pft, everyone knows too much water is bad for your kidneys, but too much water is almost impossible to do without trying.
    And dehydration a myth? That's just ridiculous.
  • waterjogger
    waterjogger Posts: 114
    Options
    My kidney dr is always telling me to drink more water to prevent dehydration! I'm going to do what he tells me to do!
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    This study seems very vague. It just says "evidence" and "studies," but gives no real hard facts about them.

When I get thirsty, I'm going to drink water. Regardless of how much I've already had.

IMO, water just takes up room in the stomach making you feel fuller; it does for me anyway.

In the end, something is going to end up hurting us or killng us, I'd rather it be too much water than to be thirsty all the time. :wink:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    This is my opinion on studies. For every one study, therer are 20 more that prove it wrong. Studies are usually funded by special interests that are looking for a specific result anyway.

I think it's safe to drink a moderate amount daily. You should have at least a little bit but you don't need 20 gallons a day.
  • kappy_hollowell
    Options
    Too much water is bad for you and can be lethal

and do you have proof? Just sayin
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i would not hold much to that article , it has random quotes and the word study thrown in a few times, but no indication of what studies and done where. Infact no real facts to back up anything it says
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a non-news article to me. They quote one general practitioner, and claim to have new studies but do not reference them or give any links.

Yes - excessive water can be damaging but not the amounts currently recommended to us.

Looks like they just needed a filler article.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    I read an artical that said - A lethal amount of water in a full grown human is about 100 oz at once, give or take. The "AT ONCE" is an important statement. Spread your water intake out over the day, and it would never be lethal. I personally am not going to take the risk of getting dehydrated! I do not believe that "dehydration is a mthy! Beside - I LIKE water! - :drinker:
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I call BS on this one! Its just like the egg debate, one year too many eggs are bad for you, the next year you can eat 12 in one sitting and its good for you!
    Besides, I am sure I dont drink too much water! I drink a lot, anywhere from 3-6 litres in a day!
    always a good discussion through! thanks for the post!
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water, so I checked it out.

I see no scientific data at all. The two experts quoted include a general practitioner (really? a GP?) and Dr. Stanley Goldfarb from the University of Pennsylvania. He, at least, has some cred. His one and only quote: "'The current evidence is that there really is no evidence' to support the idea that water helps people to lose weight by suppressing their appetite". OK. That's plausible, I guess. Makes me feel more full, so that's all the proof I need. :)

But then the article really lost me, starting with this ridiculous quote: "We've also been told that drinking water is good for flushing out bacteria from our kidneys but a study has found that it could actually cause kidney damage, instead of preventing it." WHO said that -- and who did they tell? Who did the study? When was it? If it was an honest-to-goodness scientific study, the author should have named names and provided publication details.

At this point, the article had zero credibility, far as I was concerned, But there was one final straw -- and it made me laugh out loud: "It has also been found that drinking excessive amounts of water can also lead to disrupted sleep as people have to get up in the night to go to the toilet."

Wow. I'm shocked.

The article is dribble, far as I'm concerned. Just my opinion.