Running on the Treadmill v. Outside

Options
Hello fellow MFP runners! I have a question to ask (sorry if someone already posted this!) Do you feel you run better on a treadmill or outside/on a track?

My response: I hate the treadmill. I get more pain after runs on the treadmill and my pace is always much slower on a treadmill than it is when I run outside or even on an indoor track. I dread heat waves like the one this week because I may be forced inside on the treadmill :-/

Replies

• lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    much better outside!
  • kjjm08
    kjjm08 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I much prefer running outside BUT the treadmill is good for bad weather etc.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I can run farther and longer on the treadmill, also my speed is faster on the treadmill BUT training on the ground is important for road races because the world is not a smooth belt. So your body makes tons of micro corrections for sidewalks and road changes that it doesn't need to on the treadmill.

Without my treadmill I wouldn't be able to run 5 or 6 days a week either so it's definitely important for that reason too.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I much, much prefer running outside. My physio has also advised against running on the treadmill as it affects my form and causes me injuries as well. I say if you prefer outdoors and do better outdoors, stick to outdoors!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I try to do an even amount of both. Treadmill is obviously easier but I try and do at least one workout on it a week to do a tempo run or intervals and really measure my pace. But then I do 3 or so outdoor runs because they are way cooler :) Unless its freezing and cold then I stay on the treadmills :)
  • nc1191
    nc1191 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the day. If it's too hot/humid outside, I prefer the treadmill. One thing I like about running outside though is you get to see how far you've come/how far you have left to go which is kind of motivating as opposed to just watching the distance increase on the treadmill. One thing I like about the treadmill is being able to set your pace which is a little harder to do outside. I do tend to be in more pain (usually the next day) after running outside but it's probably because I don't warm up as much as I would at the gym. So I don't really prefer one over the other because they both have pros and cons but I hope this helps a little :smile:
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    While the treadmill is a useful tool and I do use it occasionally... I MUCH prefer outdoor running. Not only the fresh air, the wind in my face... but my pace is faster, my stride is more comfortable, I just prefer it! Usually if I have to do more than 2-3 miles I'll flat out refuse to use the treadmill. I've done 5-6 miles, but I hated every minute of it inside!!!!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Outside, definitely! Treadmill is just moving the legs up and down...outside, you actually have to propel your entire body forward. A better burn, IMHO.

Also, the scenery never really changes on the treadmill. Yesterday, I saw an albino deer midway through my run. Totally worth it!

I get up just as it's getting light out, so I can run before it gets too hot.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running outside much much more. I emotionally and physically feel better after an outside run.

However, I'm faster on the dreadmill.

I've been dreadmilling it since early June because it's too hot here to run outside. I'm so so so ready to run outside again. But it looks like that may be September ... Grrrrrr!
  • faithfitnessandnutrition
    Options
    Outside for me, I run on treadmills only as a last resort as they tend to hurt my knees and I get bored. I love the sensation of moving with the purpose of going somewhere when I am running and the changing scenery ... :):)
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I get up just as it's getting light out, so I can run before it gets too hot.

doesn't help here. It's been 75-80 at 5:30 am!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I run faster outside without feeling like I'm going any faster. And faster on trails than on pavement. I don't even notice incline on trails.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    *double post*
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I ran on the DM today and I can't go as far or as fast as when I run outside.

I am going to work on that. Too hot here too.

Last winter, I stopped running and had to start over in the spring...I had only started running in August.

I will keep up on the DM until this heat wave is over. It is better than not running at all.

I am going to add .25 to .50 to each of my runs to get further.
  • tushiness
    tushiness Posts: 29
    Options
    I actually way prefer running on the treadmill to outside! My pace is way faster and I find I can run for a lot longer too! I also screwed up my knee when I had a fall a few years ago and it starts paining when i run outside :S

I know its probably better to run outside and I do try and get one outside run a week but I'm sticking to the tready for now :)
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    I like outside much better! Today I was forced to run on the treadmill because it's too hot outside and I had to do something. Even with watching a movie I hated it. I was counting down the time to when I would be done. It's so nice to run outside and smell the fresh air and see scenery. Also, I can't run as fast or as far on the treadmill and idk why? 5mph on the treadmill is like sprinting for me vs 5mph outside at a nice steady pace and being able to carry on a conversation. Good luck!
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    My July goal was to run 4-5 miles in 40 minutes or less. I hit this goal last Monday (the 11th) on a consistent basis (yay!) but I decided to take it outside. Thought, no problem-o! Going for a run outside is something I always envied seeing others doing and wanted to be able to do it myself. Woooooah I was wrong to think I can do the same amount outside as inside.

I'm now sitting here with shin splints on both sides of my legs and in a boot with what the doc thinks is a stress fracture on the inside of one of my feet.

I'm uber pissed and so disappointed in myself for these injuries. He said the only reason for it was because of how much I pushed myself outside after running inside :(

So... yeah. Le sigh!!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    The treadmill can be good especially if the weather isn't suitable, but eventually you'll find it much more enjoyable to run outdoors or on a track. I like a lot better when I get to set my own pace (for example, I never do a static speed really, my speed varies a couple decimals of a mph here and there, but it makes for a lot more comfortable of a run).
  • Mommyof3loves
    Options
    Honestly I can't run on a treadmill without holding on, I don't feel balanced enough, so I would prefer outside.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    My July goal was to run 4-5 miles in 40 minutes or less. I hit this goal last Monday (the 11th) on a consistent basis (yay!) but I decided to take it outside. Thought, no problem-o! Going for a run outside is something I always envied seeing others doing and wanted to be able to do it myself. Woooooah I was wrong to think I can do the same amount outside as inside.

I'm now sitting here with shin splints on both sides of my legs and in a boot with what the doc thinks is a stress fracture on the inside of one of my feet.

I'm uber pissed and so disappointed in myself for these injuries. He said the only reason for it was because of how much I pushed myself outside after running inside :(

So... yeah. Le sigh!!

I have read that running on one type of surface can lead to injuries on different surfaces, more so when most running is done on a treadmill or track and then the switch is made to road due to the lack of cushion comparatively speaking. Even in winter I run outside, unless it has snowed A LOT, so that could be why the treadmill doesn't suffice for myself.