Questions for those who have overcome and moved on

Options
2»

Replies

• cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Children are still learning from example, and are essentially victims to the lifestyles of their parents.

I have yet to overcome - but I was reading through the replies and this statement really hit me hard. Don't get me wrong - I love my parents! They are definitely not the only reason I am the size that I am - but they did play a big role. I was raised in such a way that you cleaned your plate - period. If you made a face at something or said 'yuck' - you got a second helping of it and had to finish it all. I was taught to cook... country fried steak, home fries, onion burgers. I don't recall ever having much turkey or fish -unless it was fried catfish. BBQ chicken was probably the healthiest we got. Anyway - not all their fault - they learned that behavior from somewhere too.

It has been a struggle to let go of those habits and try to not repeat the error with my kiddos. But I WILL overcome and move on!!
    Thank you for your testimony.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Have you ever felt or acted a little vain after losing your weight?
    Yes
    Do you look at others when you get to your ideal weight with sarcasm and discuss (like ex-smokers do to current smokers)?
    No, because the way someone looks has no correlation to the content of their character, the goodness in their hearts, what kind of person they are etc. I don't view overweight / obese people negatively.

If anything I am glad I was overweight when I was younger. It made me more compassionate I think and more willing to look beyond physical appearances as I understood, in the final analysis, they are meaningless.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I LOVE seeing others working towards their goals, and I do anything i can to help them achieve them. THat's what people did when I was in their shoes, and I needed it.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    im no more or no less judgemental than i was ever at any weight ive ever been at.
  • cparter
    Options
    Have you ever felt or acted a little vain after losing your weight?
    Yes
    Do you look at others when you get to your ideal weight with sarcasm and discuss (like ex-smokers do to current smokers)?
    No, because the way someone looks has no correlation to the content of their character, the goodness in their hearts, what kind of person they are etc. I don't view overweight / obese people negatively.

If anything I am glad I was overweight when I was younger. It made me more compassionate I think and more willing to look beyond physical appearances as I understood, in the final analysis, they are meaningless.
    Great response. You have a kind and open heart.
  • cparter
    Options
    Not at all. I LOVE seeing others working towards their goals, and I do anything i can to help them achieve them. THat's what people did when I was in their shoes, and I needed it.

You have responded with the key to it all and what MFP is all about. We must help one another.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!