Where do you exercise?

Options
Hi everyone!

When I first started this journey I was attending a fitness bootcamp 3x a week and walking in my neighbor the other days. I was able to loose a good solid 25 pounds. Since graduation, I have moved and couldn't find a bootcamp. I decided to join a health club and work out there. At the club I am able to take spinning which I love but have seen little weight loss. My club membership has run out so I am now working out to DVDs and loosing weight like I did when I was in bootcamp. I am not debating on if I should renew the club membership. Anyways, this brings me to, my questions; where do you work out? Do you have more workout success at home or at a fancy club? Where do you have more success?

Replies

• thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    One of three places:

Bedroom (for DVD's - ah Jillian, how I burn for you)
    Garage (for jump-rope and squats/lunges/pushups/etc)
    Outside (for jogging or doing pull-ups on the monkey bars at the park).

Simple!
  • HazelAngelstar
    Options
    at home, or outside for walking/gardening

i have fibromyalgia, so i am very limited in what type of exercise I can do, or the intensity - so its only gentle exercise, in small amounts.

planning on joining local leisure club which has a heated pool - so i can start doing some stretching exercises in the water, and maybe build up to doing some swimming too
  • prettytoxic
    prettytoxic Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm my living room.
    I get dance central and Kinect adventures out for an hour each day.
    I used to go jogging but since I've moved I can't.... people yell at you here O_O
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    On the road - I cycle commute 42 miles every weekday
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Don't know where you live, but if you're in the states take it outside. You'll be drenched in sweat doing most anything. I do my running inside 3x a week on my treadmill, and 3x a week outdoors (I live in PA, so it's full of hills, so as soon as I get challenged I get a break, followed my another challenging hill). I also take my stepper outside while my kids play in the backyard, or take my kettlebell and yoga mat out. All great, sweaty (to the point of being drenched) workouts (be sure to take LOTS of water outdoors though).
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I go to Zumba class at my daughter's dance studio once a week. I'm planning on goig to another one at a local tennisand gym facility. You just pay as you go which is nice. I used to belong to the tennis/gym facility but all I used was the elliptical and recumbent bike. After a year of paying and forcing myself to go I decided to invest in my own elliptical. Why pay the gym to use their's when I could have one in my house?! I have also collected dvds over the years and continue to do so. I have smallhand weights of varying weight I have begun to use once again too. I also use Wii Fit Plus and other Wii games, Wii Zumba of course!
    I find it easier to exercise at home. I work from home so I generally have troubel getting motivated to get ready, get into a car and drive somewhere every night. Going to 1-2 classes a week is enough for me. I prefer the home workouts. Plus I don't ahve to stress over my outfits that way! LOL
  • choley222
    choley222 Posts: 57
    Options
    I have a membership to the YMCA where I take weight lifting classes, step classes, kick boxing and a cardio sculpt class. I hardly ever just go there for cardio to run on the treadmill, I have to run outside. I also have a ton of workout DVD's for the days I just don't have time to make it. It's really what works for you. Leaving the house and taking a class with a lot of other people helps motivate me. When I was trying to do it at home by myself I had a hard time keeping myself motivated.
  • jpowell3976
    jpowell3976 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bedroom (treadmill-C25K program since it SO hot outside & weights for arms and abs)
    Park (C25K/walking-When it is not 100+ outside)
    Zumba Wii- When I fancy something different! :)

Very simple & effective. 47 pounds down! :)
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Mostly at the gym, mainly in studio classes.

Occasionally outside (running/cycling)

Occasionally using home fitness equipment (bike, weights, calisthenics equipment)

I have tried home DVDs but find they don't work for me. Possibly because my living room isn't large enough to move enough or my tv screen is too small to see the moves properly.
  • fmbarbuto
    fmbarbuto Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My basement! My treadmill is down there along with a weight bench, hand weights, etc. I also have a small tv w/a dvd player and I watch my Zumba dvd's down there. I also use Jillian Michael's 30 day shred - not everyday, but just to incorporate it into my exercise. Variety is key for me! :flowerforyou:
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I used to workout in a gym when I was a teenager and I was in great shape (but at that time, I had never been out of shape). After having my son I started doing home dvd workouts and am now wearing my old high school jeans. So, I know home dvds work! I'm sure both work great if you put in the right amount of hard work but it's hard for me to say which works better because I never had the opportunity to go to a gym with the goal of "getting back in shape". So, I curious to see the responses also. Good post!
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    My preferrence is walking or jogging outside. I mix in treadmill at home when the weather's terrible - as in today (and the last week). There's also a gym nearby that offers punch cards for individual visits so I do that instead of a membership. They have an indoor track so when I can't go outside but the idea of the treadmill is just too boring I'll do that.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill in my livingroom that stares at me daily. Thankfully I have a tv in there too :) So when I work out, I watch a show or 2 depending on how long im on it. I have ZERO reason NOT to work out now days!
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I exercise everywhere it seems ;) I love going to the gym but find myself doing more at home.... I play wii zumba, just dance, sports, fit....I go swimming....Switch up my workout dvds .....I use my treadmill at home at night....play soccer with my son....play tag...You get the idea. Most importantly have fun and you will keep doing it =D
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    At the gym. I take spinning and zumba classes and love the group energy. I have zumba for the Wii as well as weights at home, but rarely use them. I also have resistance bands and a skipping rope which I use on vacation. In the winter, I'll go cross-country skiing at least once a week.
  • Brucie1
    Brucie1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I workout at Snap Fitness and at home. I feel like I push myself harder at the gym when others are around and watching... Also, paying for the membership forces me to go 5-6 days a week. If I didn't have the membership I don't know if I would be as motivated to workout as much. I joined Snap Fitness in June because I can't exercise in the heat-plus they are open 24-7, so I can go anytime I want. I add extra activities such as swimming in the summer and dvds at home at night when I have time. Hope this helps :)
  • kinycaz
    kinycaz Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi There

I go to Zumba twice a week and do i burn off the calories as i look as though i have been to a wet t.shirt competition. Also
    i do wii zumba once a week. I walk the dog 3 times a week for an hour and any normal daily walking to and from work. :smile:
  • SandyEdge
    SandyEdge Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Gyms and I just dont seem to get on.
    Ive joined a few times - even one that was next to work - but it never seemed to work.

Since I joined MFP - What motivated me (initially) to exercise was so I could eat more food !
    I was really committed to keeping under my calorie goal - and if i didnt exercise i was feeling hungry.

So I just started walking outside and playing tennis once a week.
    Since then Ive also added swimming and cycling to my routine.

As Ive progressed - my core is really starting to strengthen and my fat is starting to peel away.
    My new body tone is my new motivation for exercise. I love the direction my body is going in and cant wait to get fitter and fitter.

So - In answer to your question - Most of my exercise is outside - doing things that I really like to do.

I have also started doing the 30DS workout with my wife. That is inside - and we do it in the living room. I know the video is targeted more towards females - but I have enjoyed doing it with my wife and am noticing alot of muscle toning.
  • ewhitis
    ewhitis Posts: 132
    Options
    I do most of my aerobics at home. (I have a bike and an elliptical) plus walk my dog when the weather's not too hot. I belong to an inexpensive gym so I try to do strength training there 3 times a week. I have fallen short oof that the last 2 weeks.I feel that the aerobic exercise does more for my weight loss but the strength training is necessary since I still have sooo much to lose and don't want my skin flapping in the breeze. :bigsmile:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The gym and if its cool outside(it's not right now) I'll take walks around the lake that's by my house.

I don't really have room to exercise in my house, so thats why I go to the gym.