Eating breakfast makes me more hungry too soon...

Options
2»

Replies

• kysue1029
    kysue1029 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am MAKING myself eat breakfast. I want to wake up my metabolism, but I agree...I'm hungry earlier in the day for lunch. I eat a little snack around ten. However, I have read that if you work out BEFORE you eat, you are burning fat rather than burning the calories that you just ate. Anyone know if that is true?
  • Raftmom
    Raftmom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You're hungry earlier because when you eat breakfast you're jump starting your metabolism. Try eating 4-5 small meals throughout the day to keep your metabolism reved up all day:smile:
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I think its a matter of listening to your body, just do what will help you achieve your goals.

Something to consider ... if you always do what you always did, you will continue toget what you have always gotten.

If I had listened to my body when I started working out, I never would have pushed myself to the point of advancing. I listened to the sound advice of a trainer who knew what my goals were and went forward from there both with regard to exercise and nutrition.

Just like the OP, I never used to eat breakfast either. I started making myself eat breakfast and started small at first with just a banana. Now I eat breakfast every day and I actually wake up hungry. It's a good thing that when you eat breakfast, that you are hungry again later - it means your metabolism is fired up and that is a big part of any weight loss journey. When you get hungry after eating a healthy breakfast, make your snack something high protein. A protein drink, a handful of raw almonds, etc.

What you are describing is a pre-cursor to success!
  • KPaden1221
    KPaden1221 Posts: 433
    Options
    i HATE breakfast.. but here's what I've been TRYING to do and it's helped so much! I get up have a slimfast, protein shake, 2 boiled eggs, something, and then i work out get ready for work and then come to work.. once i get here and get settled in about 9-10am I get something else.. Like some fruit and nuts, eggs (if i didn't eat that earlier) toast with PB or nutella. and then i'm good until lunch.. which today was at 1pm.. it's helped..
  • dragonflydi
    Options
    Your supposed to eat 5 to 7 small meals a day not 3 bigs.

There is no evidence that this help or hinders weight loss.

Like just about everything else on this board, this actually depends on each individual person.

I (personally) am insulin resistant. Not everyone is, but even if they aren't, the following can still happen to anyone, it just happens more noticably when you are resistant.

Smaller more frequent meals have benefitted my weight loss b/c it keeps my insulin levels from screaming up and then slamming down a short while later. Why does this matter?

Because when my inslulin levels spike up, it causes cravings for things that will keep it up.

Because when my inslulin levels then drastically drop a short while later, I get the "post sugar high" energy slump ... and that causes 2 things to happen:

1) it causes the desire to find something, anything, to help wake myself up. A high calorie coffee drink, a candy bar, etc. Dangerous ground for anyone looking to lose weight not only b/c it can sabbotage a whole days worth of eating well, but because giving in just starts this whole process over again and

2) when I feel this overwhelming loss of energy, I am MUCH more likely to find a reason to skip my workout citing "I'm just too tired", when in fact, I am not 'tired' at all. I am well rested and well hydrated. What I am is suffering from out of control insulin levels.

With several smaller meals throughout the day, I have managed to combat EVERY one of these issues and it is important to remember on here that there is no one good blanket answer for everyone.
  • jpriebe317
    Options
    I would recommend eating breakfast or at least something within an hour of being awake. It does start your metabolism working. It really depends on what you pick to eat. If you load up on carbs and not a whole lot of protein, you will be hungry in very short order.
    I had the same problem. I was not a breakfast eater. I wasn't hungry in the morning and if I did eat I would be starved very soon afterwards.
    I have been eating a more healthy breakfast for the past 4 weeks now (which is how long I have been at this) and I have lost 15lbs so far. And after I eat breakfast I am usually not hungry until lunch time. I usually don't even need a morning snack.
    I have switch eggs to egg whites only, lots of veggies and a little bit of meats (ham, turkey, chicken). No starches in the morning for me and I think its helping.
    Also keep in mind you don't have to stick with traditional breakfast foods. Tried grilled chicken and lunch meats.
    Hope this is helpful.
    Good health wishes your way!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Try spreading it out a little.

I usually have a little oatmeal (porridge) at home before I leave for work. Then I have a piece of fruit or a small yogurt at the office around 9 ish. This usually gets me to lunch. If not, I have a little container of almonds or peanuts on my desk. A couple of either usually takes any hunger pains away.

Good luck
  • Simomofmich
    Simomofmich Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think its a matter of listening to your body, just do what will help you achieve your goals.

Something to consider ... if you always do what you always did, you will continue toget what you have always gotten.

If I had listened to my body when I started working out, I never would have pushed myself to the point of advancing. I listened to the sound advice of a trainer who knew what my goals were and went forward from there both with regard to exercise and nutrition.

Just like the OP, I never used to eat breakfast either. I started making myself eat breakfast and started small at first with just a banana. Now I eat breakfast every day and I actually wake up hungry. It's a good thing that when you eat breakfast, that you are hungry again later - it means your metabolism is fired up and that is a big part of any weight loss journey. When you get hungry after eating a healthy breakfast, make your snack something high protein. A protein drink, a handful of raw almonds, etc.

You are right on the money!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Your supposed to eat 5 to 7 small meals a day not 3 bigs.

There is no evidence that this help or hinders weight loss.

Like just about everything else on this board, this actually depends on each individual person.

I (personally) am insulin resistant. Not everyone is, but even if they aren't, the following can still happen to anyone, it just happens more noticably when you are resistant.

Smaller more frequent meals have benefitted my weight loss b/c it keeps my insulin levels from screaming up and then slamming down a short while later. Why does this matter?

Because when my inslulin levels spike up, it causes cravings for things that will keep it up.

Because when my inslulin levels then drastically drop a short while later, I get the "post sugar high" energy slump ... and that causes 2 things to happen:

1) it causes the desire to find something, anything, to help wake myself up. A high calorie coffee drink, a candy bar, etc. Dangerous ground for anyone looking to lose weight not only b/c it can sabbotage a whole days worth of eating well, but because giving in just starts this whole process over again and

2) when I feel this overwhelming loss of energy, I am MUCH more likely to find a reason to skip my workout citing "I'm just too tired", when in fact, I am not 'tired' at all. I am well rested and well hydrated. What I am is suffering from out of control insulin levels.

With several smaller meals throughout the day, I have managed to combat EVERY one of these issues and it is important to remember on here that there is no one good blanket answer for everyone.

Um, right. That's pretty much what I said. There is no evidence that 5 - 7 meals is better. While it might work on an individual level, that's not evidence that it's something anyone else "should" do.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Oh, if only that were true! As you age you have to do more. :ohwell: I can remember the days of being thin without really trying. I've eaten healthy for decades always did some type of exercise for health since I had children but as I age I find I have to think more about calories and exercise a little more to keep up with it. But through all those years, thin and not so thin, I've never been a breakfast person. And I've never had a lack of energy at work that couldn't be explained by something other than breakfast (late night, PMS, etc.).
  • elyssiam
    elyssiam Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I eat two breakfasts (My diary is viewable, you can see it if you like). When my alarm goes off at 5:30 or 6:00 am, I eat 1/2 of a Think Thin protein bar (115 calories) while still in bed - I keep it in a baggie on mt bedside table. There are two reasons for this:
    1) It prevents me from hitting the snooze bar and actually gets me up
    2) It gives me more energy by the time I get to the gym 30 minutes later.

I eat a second breakfast about 3 - 4 hours later (9:30 - 10 am). Either a protein shake or plain, fat-free Greek yogurt with good stuff mixed in.

That carries me over to lunch, which I eat around 1pm.

I do afternoon tea about 4 pm, then Dinner at 7 pm.

I find, for me, several small meals (200 - 400 calories generally) throughout the day keep my metabolism up and my hunger satisfied. Experiment and find out what works best for you! :)
  • peluzuff
    peluzuff Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had this problem when I first started reducing my calorie intake and exercising. So, what I did was allow myself to eat any fruit or vegetable between breakfast and lunch, any amount ... it could be 3 apples or 2 bananas. Although this can add up in terms of calories, you will find you eat less at lunch and that makes up for it. I would try not to eat junky snacks like crackers or bars. This worked and I am currently at the point that I only eat about one fruit between breakfast and lunch. Good luck!
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options

I think if she is force feeding herself when not hungry it is not a good idea to eat when she first gets up in the morning. So yes, in my opinion she can listen to her body; not her cravings or bad habits but her BODY and the clock it is on and the times it wants to eat.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I really wasn't hungry this morning when I ate my cereal. It didn't do much for me at all. For me, once my alarm goes off, it's "go time" so I really don't get a sluggish feeling. It's more self-discipline forced than anything. I have 3 kids under 3 and work at 8am so I couldn't lay around even if I wanted to. lol

I tend to have a large lunch, small dinner, and a snack in the evening before I work out.

I know about the "if you always do what you always did, you will continue to get what you have always gotten", but that was back in the "Flaming Hot Cheetos and Mountain Dew by the barrel" days... I eat pretty clean now.

I suppose I'll do a couple trial runs for a week without breakfast and see how I feel and if it affects any weightloss.
  • dragonflydi
    Options
    I know about the "if you always do what you always did, you will continue to get what you have always gotten", but that was back in the "Flaming Hot Cheetos and Mountain Dew by the barrel" days... I eat pretty clean now.

I suppose I'll do a couple trial runs for a week without breakfast and see how I feel and if it affects any weightloss.

Trial runs are a great idea, each person reacts differently to changes like these. The "flaming hot cheetos and Mountain Dew by the barrel" made me spit coffee on my montior! LOL ...

When you said "I noticed that when I DON'T eat breakfast, I'm tied over from hunger pains until about 11am" that is a big sign - your body is telling you it is wanting/needing nutrition/fuel even if you don't feel sluggish, etc. when you get up and don't eat.

When you eat and then are hungry again, your body has used the fuel you gave it, your metabolism is running and it's wanting/needing more to sustain that level of production. A small snack should easily take care of that and keep things running at optimum level.

Something I learned over the last year is that most people don't really read their own body's language all that well. I didn't for a long time, but I do it better now. Most people go with what they have heard to be true, rather than what their body is telling them. For example - something to consider ... you said you don't feel sluggish in the am w/out breakfast. Why did you believe if you needed to eat and you didn't, you would feel sluggish? Was that based on experience or something you assumed, thought, or read would (could) happen if you didn't in the morning?

What you did say was that if you didn't eat, you have hunger pains ... that is your body telling you what it needs. It took me what seemed like forever to learn what I thought my body was saying and what it was really telling me.

Just a thought :o)
  • dragonflydi
    Options

Oh, if only that were true! As you age you have to do more. :ohwell: I can remember the days of being thin without really trying. I've eaten healthy for decades always did some type of exercise for health since I had children but as I age I find I have to think more about calories and exercise a little more to keep up with it.

Oh, yes, I TOTALLY understand your point here. Which makes what I wrote more important. Let me modify a tad: "If you continue to do what you always did, you will get what you always got ... until you age. Then even when you continue to do what you always did, you now get even less than what you got before ... and a change is needed to merely maintain where you were. To see a really noticable change in your body, other types of changes will more than likely need to take place first."

While the body is an incredible thing and can do much of what it needs to do to survive on it's own without a lot of guideance, sometimes our bodies need to be taught/trained to do something differently in order to change, even for the better/healthier.

That is in no way meant to be a blanket statement however, saying that is the case for everyone, but it was my own personal experience. Other wise, I would still be morbildy obese (115 lbs overweight) with high cholesterol instead of where I am today :)