Options
13»

Replies

• nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    We are having this tonight....Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls

Ingredients
    • 1 pound ground beef (I'm using turkey burger)
    • 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    • 1 (14.5 ounce) can low-sodium beef broth or beef bouillion cube
    • 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
    • 1/2 small onion, chopped
    • 1 cup instant white rice
    • 2 cups coarsely shredded green cabbage
    • 1 1/2 cups tomato-vegetable juice cocktail or small can tomato sauce
    Directions
    1. Crumble the ground beef into a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, an d season with garlic powder and pepper; cook and stir until the beef is evenly browned. Drain off the excess grease.
    2. Pour the beef broth and onion soup mix into the skillet with the beef, and stir to blend. Bring to a boil, then add the rice, cabbage and vegetable juice cocktail. Stir together, then cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.

This sounds great and absolutely doable. Thanks for the recipe!
  • Alaranio
    Alaranio Posts: 75
    Options
    I love making turkey chilli of course, but I also use ground turkey for mushroom stroganoff, enchiladas, meat pie and burgers.
  • Eschere
    Eschere Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I brown it and throw in a bunch of premade cole slaw. Then I add some light Sesame Ginger dressing (I use Newman's Own) and cook until cole slaw is tender. You can eat in lettuce wraps or on a salad. I think I added some sriracha to mine after cooking, but you can doctor it up with whatever seasonings/sauces you like.
  • Pakitalian85
    Pakitalian85 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/01/spinach-stuffed-shells-with-meat-sauce.html

Stuffed shells!!! One of my absolute favorite things to do with turkey ever! And her website is amazing!
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I like Buffalo Turkey or Chicken sloppy Joe's with Blue Cheese. If you use 4 oz of ground turkey on a light hamburger roll with Buffalo Marinade and Blue Cheese crumbles you can make a good burger for under 300 calories.

OR...put blue cheese crumbles on the inside of a ground turkey patty you form with your hands. When you grill it the cheese will melt on the inside. You can add the buffalo sauce like a condiment instead of a main attraction and cut a few calories that way.

Top with fresh cut tomato, lettuce, onion....

YUMMM-- OOOO :smile:
  • 4Calix
    4Calix Posts: 38
    Options
    bump:)
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I make this Meatball recipe from Elie Krieger a lot--it's very good! (never tried the sauce though). It's about 230 calories/serving without the sauce.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/turkey-meatballs-with-quick-and-spicy-tomato-sauce-and-whole-wheat-spaghetti-recipe/index.html
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    From Taste of Homes Comfort Food Diet Cookbook 2011, page 59

1 lb ground beef (90% lean)- I used Jenni-O Italian ground turkey

1 large green pepper-chopped

1 large onion-chopped

2 garlic cloves-minced

2 cans (14.5oz each) reduced sodium beef broth

2 cans (14.5oz each) diced tomatoes-I used Hunts no salt added

1 can (8oz) tomato sauce- I used hunts no salt added

1 cup frozen corn

1/4 cup tomato paste- again hunts no salt added

2 teaspoons italian seasoning (or to taste if you use the Italian turkey)

1/4 teaspoon pepper

2 1/2 cps uncooked spiral pasta-I used wheat Ronzoni

1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese

(add salt to taste if you use all the no salt stuff)

-in large skillet ( i used a soup kettle) cook meat, peppers and onions over medium heat until no longer pink. add garlic and cook 1 minute more, Drain.

-stir in broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, tomato paste, Italain seasoning and pepper. bring to boil. stir in pasta. return to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until pasta is tender. Sprinkle with cheese and serve!

I added to myfitness pal recipe for the most accurate calorie count. Per recipe 1 1/3 cups= 280 cal, 7g fat, 41mg cholestrol,, 572 mg sodium, 35g carbs 4 g fiber, 20g protein.

of course mine is different, who knows what they use thats why I just add it how I make it :)
  • superglue34
    Options
    This is a light version of stroganoff

Turkey Stroganoff over Pasta
    Steamed Green Beans (or peas)
    (30 minutes or less)

1/2 package of Wheat Pasta

1 medium onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 8 oz. package of sliced fresh mushrooms
    1/3 cup beef broth
    2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey

1 1/2 tbsp. flour

1 1/4 cup beef broth

1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
    2 tbs. dry sherry or dry white wine
    1 tbs. dried parsley
    ¼ tsp Pepper ¼ tsp Salt

1/2 cup low-fat sour cream

In a large Sauce pan fill half way with water and put on medium high heat. Let this come to a boil while you are working on the rest. Cook noodles according to package directions. When noodles are done strain – if there is a long time for the stroganoff to be done rinse, if it is almost done do not rinse.

In a large frying pan, on medium high, sauté onion, garlic and mushrooms with 1/3 cup beef broth and 2 tsp. Worcestershire 3-4 minutes

Add turkey and sauté until no longer pink using a spatula to break up into small pieces. (Add an additional 1/4 cup of broth if mixture gets too dry.) (About 5-6 minutes)

Sprinkle mixture with 1-1/2 Tbs. of flour.

Add 1-1/4 cup beef broth stirring as you add. Add milk, sherry, dried parsley cooking on medium for about 8 minutes.
     (While this is cooking start a sauce pan with about an inch of water and bring to a boil on high heat. Once boiling, add green beans or peas and cover. Cook until bright green.)

Fold in sour cream stir into mixture let cook for additional 1 minute.

Turn off and let sit for about 2 minutes.

Serve over pasta
  • superglue34
    Options
    Stuffed Cabbage

1 head of green cabbage, about 1 lb.
    1 c. uncooked brown rice
    1/2 c. diced onions
    1.25 lb. ground turkey; 99% fat free
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    2 cans (16 oz.) tomato sauce, no salt added

In a large pot, parboil the cabbage*, cutting off the leaves and setting aside on paper towels as they loosen. Prepare the rice according to the manufacturer's directions. Cool.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, mix the cooked rice, onions, turkey, and pepper. Make sure it is loosely packed but well mixed. Take a small amount of the meat mix, and place on the center of the cabbage leaf. Roll up, making sure the meat mix is completely enclosed. Place seam side down in a 9x13x2 inch casserole that has been lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Continue until all meat mixture is used. You will probably have cabbage leaves left over. Chop some of the leftover cabbage into strips and add to the rolls in the casserole.

Pour the tomato sauce over the top of the cabbage rolls. Cover casserole with foil, and bake for 1 1/2 hours. Remove from oven, and let sit covered for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.

*If you've never parboiled cabbage before, place the cabbage head in a pot of boiling water- a pot big enough to have the water cover the head. Stick the cabbage with a fork to remove from water, and cut off the leaves as they loosen.

**If you have time and think ahead, make the rice and parboil the cabbage leaves ahead of time; either the night before or a few hours. This makes the preparation a snap!

6 servings. Per serving:

Calories: 303
    Fat: 2.3 g
    Sodium: 95 mg
    Carbohydrates: 34 g
    Protein: 24 g
    Cholesterol: 43 mg
    Fiber: 5.7 g
  • c_ramey
    c_ramey Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Mexican Lasagna Recipe with Nutrition Facts from the Tast of Home Comfort Diet Cookbook

1 pound lean ground beef (I have used turkey it is good either way)

1 can (16 oz) fat free refried beans

2 teaspoons of dried oregano

1 teaspoon ground cumin

3/4 teaspoon of garlic powder

9 uncooked lasagna noodles (I used the no boil kind)

1 jar (16 oz) salsa

2 cups water

2 cup (16 oz) reduced fat free sour cream

1 can (2.25 oz) sliced black olives, drained

1 cup (4 oz) shredded reduced fat Mexican-blend cheese

1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions

**In a nonstick skillet, cook beef until no longer pink; drain well. Add the refried beans, oregano, cumin, garlic powder to the beef. Heat through

**Place 3 noodles in a 13 x 9 baking dish, coated with cooking spray: cover with 1/2 meat mixture. Repeat layers. Top with remaining nodles. Combine salsa and water in mixing bowl: pour over noodles and meat mixture.

**Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 60 - 70 minutes, or until the noodles are tender. Spread with sour cream. Then sprinkle with cheese, green onions, and black olives.

Serves 9

****Note I didn't add the sour cream, because this makes a huge batch, I am planning on taking it for lunch tomorrow. The hubby and Kiddos added it before eating.

Nutrition Facts: (This is with the sour cream added and for the ground beef version)

1 piece equals 341 calories. 13 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 680 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 24 g protein. DIABETIC EXCHANGE: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat.

When I added the recipe to my recipes it was pretty close to the cookbook, so without the sour cream it was 269 calories per piece.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    HI!I make my own meatballs with ground turkey and add pasta sauce and pour over whole wheat pasta.or whatever you like.I use turkey instead of ground beef.I`ve made cabbage balls with ground turkey and cooked brown rice and make balls with the cabbge and pour tomato soup,sauce or pasta sauce over them and bake for 30-45 min.
    Good luck,saw some yummy recipes.
    jane
  • fafabear
    fafabear Posts: 2
    Options
    Here is one for Italian Wedding Soup made with turkey meatballs. I haven't tried it but it looks good. http://www.laaloosh.com/2010/06/02/italian-wedding-soup-recipe/
  • Helen1715
    Helen1715 Posts: 8
    Options
    Easy Taco Salad:
    Cook the turkey, add 1 package of taco seasoning, small can of tomato sauce (no salt added) and add a can of kidney beans for extra protein. I have even added chopped peppers and/or onion to make it go farther. It's great over salad (whatever veggies you like) with reduced fat shredded cheese and low fat sour cream.
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My two favorite ways to use ground turkey are Shepherd's Pie and Tourtiere (French Meat Pie). Both are quick and easy to make and taste great!
  • mollybeslimmer
    mollybeslimmer Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    bump
    some great recipes here.
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    last weekend i threw something together quickly with what was in the fridge. i cooked a spaghetti squash while browning together:
    93/7 ground turkey
    yellow bell pepper
    diced onion
    minced garlic
    fresh mushrooms
    cilantro
    mrs. dash southwest chipolte blend
    once browned, i added the spaghetti squash and mixed well. put in casserole dish and baked at 350 for about 1/2 hour.
    top with light shredded cheese (i used weight watchers Mexican blend) and put back in the oven until cheese was nicely melted.
    don't know the exact measurements as i was making it up as i went along with whatever i had in the fridge but i put it in the recipie calculator as i went along. my family liked it so much i had to go out for more ingredients to make it again midweek!! it made 5 servings nutrition info per 1 cup serving:
    calories 281, carbs 15, fat 11, protein 28, sodium 220, fiber 3
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Home made sloppy joes!

turkey, ketchup and mustard and just a teensy bit of brown sugar on whole wheat.

Also, Bear Creek sells a Minestrone soup mix (dry)...I always add a pound of ground turkey and some cut up grape tomatoes...think I have died and gone to heave. I don't even like minestrone soup! It is GOOD!