I need a good(but healthy) birthday dessert idea!

Options
2»

Replies

• Julijulz
    Julijulz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    LOL I've never heard of that. I'm pretty sure it's just a bunch of chemicals. But if it has anything in it, I would be super surprised.
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Gelatin definitely has animal products in it, which is why standard gelatin isn't vegan or kosher

For the dessert, you can get those mini shortcake cups and use blueberries and strawberries with cool whip or whipped cream
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    What about something with fruit? Like macerated strawberries in balsamic or grilling peaches, pineapple or whatever other fruits you like and serving with a dollop of fresh whipped cream
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe for dark chocolate pecan avocado muffins!!! They are really natural...no fake stuff!!!! I think I'm gonna try those!!

http://healthy.betterrecipes.com/dark-chocolate-pecan-avocado-muffins.html
    Sounds like a good plan!!!
  • dashbeaujippers
    dashbeaujippers Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I either do a chocolate brownie mix and instead of adding the oil, and and egg and water, I just add 1 can of mashed pumpkin. You can not really taste the pumpkin. I then sprinkle with a little powdered sugar, or serve w/ fresh raspberries, or both.

Another option, is angel food cake mix with 1 can of crushed pineapple, juice included. It is a little denser than a regular angel food cake, but tasty!
    Good luck! :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Do a jello mold with mixed fruit in it and put some low fat cool whip on it. :)

Is jello really made from marrow?? Like, if were vegan, I couldn't eat it because it comes from an animal?

I think you can find vegan jello out there, but generally, it is made from animal products - I think it is their hoofs, but maybe it is the marrow.
  • gemtwist
    gemtwist Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sorry, hit send before I finished. See completed post below.
  • gemtwist
    gemtwist Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of grilled peaches. I tried this for the first time the other day, and it was so delicious and sweet! You can add a small spoonful of vanilla ice cream to the side.

I once had this recipe for muffins baked in a loaf pan, and had that instead of birthday cake one year. It's moist and apple-y and delicious! My mom baked it in a loaf pan to make it more cake-like, and I'm not sure if she had to adjust the cooking time, but my recipe is as follows:

yield: 12 muffins (204 calories, 1.2g fat, trace sat fat, and 0mg cholesterol per muffin)

1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
    1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 1/4 cups oat bran
    2 large cooking apples, such as Rome Beauty or Granny Smith
    12 ounce container apple juice concentrate, thawed (you can dilute with water to reduce the amount of calories per muffin, but make sure you keep the amount of liquid the same, about 1 1/2 cups total)

Preheat oven to 325.
    Sift together the flours with cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking soda. Add the oat bran. Then peel, core and coarsely chop the apples. Toss the chopped apples with the oat bran mixture.
    Mix in the apple juice concentraten, then fill the container 1/3 full with water (about 1/2 cup). Add this and mix just enough to moisten.
    Spoon the batter into nonstick or lightly oil-sprayed muffin tin and bake for 25 minutes.