If You Had No Choice...

Options

Replies

• jmore85
    jmore85 Posts: 36
    Options
    I'll eat anywhere, its abou portion control and eating the best you can...

So eata salad and 1 slice of pizza and a glass of water, not Four slices and a large soda.......that's the difference

Exactly, and then it's sustainable as a lifestyle
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'll eat anywhere, its abou portion control and eating the best you can...

So eata salad and 1 slice of pizza and a glass of water, not Four slices and a large soda.......that's the difference

QFT
  • ziggy67
    ziggy67 Posts: 351
    Options
    Don't laugh....I order one of the child size options and you get a free gift!!! (The mini wraps are a couple of mouthfuls and quite tasty.)
  • elmobabie84
    elmobabie84 Posts: 112
    Options
    Taco bell- diet pepsi (0 calories) & fresco grilled steak soft taco (124 calories)
    Mcdonalds- diet coke (0 calories) & premium caeser salad without chicken (90 calories)
    Chipotle- Water & 4oz steak (190 calories) & fajita vegetables (20 calories)
    Wendys- diet coke (0 calories) & garden side salad with fat free french (210 calories)
    Pizza Hut- Large Edge Chicken- Veggie pizza (90 calories per slice)
    Subway- Turkey breast mini sub (136 calories)
    Quiznos- Honey bourbon chicken sub, small (310 calories)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    What others said - I look at menus and pick something that fits my day. If you didn't look in advance, almost anything that says "grilled chicken" is usually going to be your healthy option ata fast food place AS LONG AS YOU drop some of the unhealthy things that come on it - like Mayo and sometimes the cheese (varies) and any other high calorie dressings. Mustard is free basically, as is tomato-onion-pepper type salsas (pretty close to free anyway), ketchup ain't too bad, vinegar, etc.

At chipotle I tend to get a bol - just stay away from the tortillas. If you want to have all the other stuff (rice, beans, etc) you are better off saving yourself the calories from the tortilla. If you are good to have tacos with just meat and veggies thats also not a bad option. I usually get rice, beans, meat, grilled veggies or lettuce, corn salsa (Calories here, so be aware) and guac (lots of calories here too so be aware, but good fat and nutrients). What I just listed is a pretty high calorie item because I eat big meals - if you need less cut out the rice and/or guac (Depending on how much less).
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    Options
    I'd get a kids meal, w/o the fries-usually they offer a garden salad or fruit if you ask (in Canada anyway). Diet drink obviously.

Sometimes you gotta eat-and sometimes it has to be fast food.
  • Vhovell
    Vhovell Posts: 286
    Options
    I don't eat at McDonalds and haven't since 2001 but i've heard the salads are actually higher in salt than the burgers so i wouldn't rush for that either...may be different in the States but that's what it is in the UK...and UK McDonalds chips don't have as much salt on it.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    -Mcdonalds - spicy chicken wrap - tropicana

-Pizza Hut - ham and pineapple, italian base
    -Subway - steak and cheese 6in

they dont have any of the others in the UK

If i was going to eat fast food with friends, id order as normal. Its so rare that i dont think its a problem
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Chipotle is probably the healthiest option, but they also have rather large portions. Still, you have the most control there over what goes into your meal, and everything is freshly made.

It's basically like Subway, but for burritos, and with better/fresher ingredients.

Except they have a 1200 calorie burrito there.... badness disguised as healthy options...

You always have a choice. I'd choose somewhere else.

I don't know about Chipotle, but Qdoba has soft tacos on thier menu that are just as customizable and a lot less calories. Very yummy!
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    We steer towards Subway and I always get a foot long (save half for lunch the next day) whole grain roll with turkey, swiss, lettuce, tomato, spinach, cucumber, no sauce. It's so good!

If we end up at a fast food joint I try to split a small fry with someone and not finish my half. I have real food at home so I can fuel up before or after.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Don't laugh....I order one of the child size options and you get a free gift!!! (The mini wraps are a couple of mouthfuls and quite tasty.)

This is exactly what I do! If you watch your portions, you can have whatever you want. I had Five Guys Burgers and Fries last week....heaven in a bun. I left off the mayo and cheese, but ate everything else...onions, mushrooms....nom nom....and only a quarter of the fries. Also, I will do a few extra minutes walking or something if I feel like my food choice was less than wise...

Last time I ate McD's, though, I thought it was gross and didn't even get through half of my happy meal.
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    We only have Subway, Quiznos, Mcdonalds and Wendys in our town, so I don't know about the rest.

At wendys you could get a baked potato. You can order it plain, or get it with grated cheddar or broccoli on it. You don't have to have the cheese sauce, butter, chili etc. Green side salad, grilled chicken burger, or even just the grilled chicken breast if you don't want the bun and toppings. Its been so long since I've been there that I have no idea whats on the menu anymore, but I know those things are always there.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I'm really only screwed if my friends order a pizza. Can't have gluten. Most all fast food places have at least some reasonably decent options for food.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    McDonald's: Fruit and walnut salad
    Chipotle: Burrito bowl with chicken, lettuce, black beans, and tomato salsa
    Subway: Roast chicken and tons of veggies with sweet onion sauce on flatbread
    Quiznos: Veggie Flatbread Sammie
    Arby's: Farmhouse salad with roast chicken, no cheese or bacon, dressing on the side
    Wendy's: Berry Almond Chicken Salad, half size
    Taco Bell or Pizza Hut: . . . go hungry :P
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Wait, did you want to know what I would order or what the healthiest options were?
    Those are two distinctively different things. ^^
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    visit their website and see what they have that is in your calorie allowance! just make sure nothing is "crunchy" or "Crispy" . stick with grilled if possible, no mayo, add mustard, no cheese! most of these places have salads!
  • aethompson5507
    aethompson5507 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    i always go online to the restaurants website and check out nutritional values in their food! for example, if we go to mcdonalds, ill get a classic grilled chicken sandwich. the whole thing is only 350 calories. and instead of fries, i get a side salad , 20 calories,with light dressing. then a regular iced tea. ...theres always healthier options, no matter where you go. and again, agreeing with everyone else. im moderation, if you want pizza hut, by all means, go for it, but only like a piece and maybe a salad, and water. or maybe a few pieces of whatever, but just kick it in a little harder the next day working out!
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    at Wendy's I get the broccoli and cheese baked potato, and a small chili (540 if you eat it all but i eat about half the potato so around 375) and a few bites of someones frosty :wink:

At subway it is different every time...but I get light hot sauce and marinara and the 9 grain bread

and chic fil a is my fav, i get the chargrilled chicken sand and a fruit cup, sometimes a salad, the wraps sooo good

McDonald's is nasty....kids meal??? I guess

and Pizza Hut's Fit 'n Delicious Pizza? one piece and a tea unsweetened

Taco bell, Bean Burrito (198) the regular is better than the fresco, Fresco Crunchy Taco (92), Cinnamon Twists (35), Grilled Chicken Taquitos (128), Grilled Chicken Burrito (177)
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    -Taco Bell
    I always go for a Fresco bean burrito! Plus a baggie of cinnamin crisps if I have the calories to do it.

-Mcdonalds
    No vegan options there, so I avoid McD's. But I've heard that the grilled chicken sandwich isn't a bad choice, that may be wrong though...

-Chipotle
    I've never been, but I hear that they have veggies and beans, and that you can create a very nice salad there! Actually that sounds delicious to me right now.

-Wendys
    Another bad place for vegans. But again, I've heard good reviews of the grilled chicken sandwiches, and they also have a grilled chicken salad I believe. I always get the baked potato with a side salad!

-Pizza Hut
    I get a thin crust, no cheese, loaded with extra veggies!!! YUM, and not too bad, calorie-wise.

-Subway
    This is my favorite fast food place to go as a healthy-ish vegan. I get the veggie delight sandwich if I have the calories for the bread and/or just want a sandwich, or I get a veggie delight salad. Splurge on a baggie of light or baked lays sometimes, too.

-Quiznos
    Trickier than Subway, but you could put together a pretty healthy sandwich here loaded with veggies. Just light on the meat and cheese to cut back on calories and fat.

-Arbys.
    No luck here! Just "everything in moderation" with this one.