Is Anyone Else Here Non-GMO?

Options

Replies

• siouxsie212
    Options
    I'm more concerned with buying more local when it comes to my produce, which in the end works out to no GMOs and a large portion of my foods being organic. I don't really think there's that much of a difference between people who actively buy organic and seek out non-GMOs and those who don't, other than attitude.

I, of course, eat as local as possible for produce. Grass fed beef and pastured eggs only. Wild salmon. My biggest problem is chicken. It's difficult, even at the farmer's markets, to find chicken that hasn't been fed grain or at least to know the grain is non-GMO.

I agree with many of the posters, my body feels so much better. I think if you are satiated by REAL food, you don't end up binging on processed, chemical junk.

P.S. If you are able to get grass-fed milk or half and half for your coffee, WOW, the taste is amazing.
  • siouxsie212
    Options
    Wow, how does anyone have time to find non-GMO food? Organic yes, but where do you shop to get non-GMO for sure? Even organic can be GMO because of seed hybridization.

That's false. Any food item that is certified organic CANNOT contain genetically modified ingredients.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Non-GMO, Local and Organic all the way! Eating gmo's terrifies me...I don't want 3-headed babies or anything freaky like that when I reproduce because I made dangerous food choices!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I've been more mindful of what I'm buying too -- watched a few food documentaries on Netflix and wow -- were MY eyes opened! I don't buy a lot of organic produce (yet) but I get what I can afford. I buy organic milk, eggs...and I wish wish wish I could get my hands on some non-hormonal grass fed beef!!

Nifty app for you iPhoners (not sure if this is available for Android) is the "Non-GMO Shopping Guide".
  • siouxsie212
    Options
    Once you begin eating grass-fed beef, you'll never eat grain-fed again. The taste is amazing.

Also, just some info for those who don't know much about GMO's:

GMOs were first grown in the United States in 1996. They work by inserting an additional protein into the genetic code of the original seed. This allows the crops to withstand repeated bouts of pesticide without destroying the crop. (This also means corporations can TRADEMARK food ~ like it's a chair or a TV!)

****People are eating food developed in a lab so it can take on LARGER amounts of pesticides.****

92 percent of all soy grown worldwide is genetically modified, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. If you think you do not consume any of these soybeans because you avoid edamame, tofu, and soymilk- think again! Soybean oil, soy protein isolate, soy lecithin, etc, are common ingredients in processed foods.

All of Europe, England, Australia, Japan and Russia require food containing GMOs to be labeled accordingly.

Most of the objection about GMOs is that they are an uncontrolled human experiment. Only one study has been conducted on humans rather than animals. The results showed that parts of the altered gene in GMO soy had been transferred into the DNA of the bacteria in the digestive system (U.S. National Academy of Sciences 2004). Results from animal studies are even less promising.

Anyway, off my soap box. The more I learn and the more my diet has changed, the more outrageous I find all of this.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I choose the non-GMO product whenever available. I also make sure my products are uncured, contain no preservatives, no artificial coloring or flavorings, no MSG, and no HFCS. I feel much better without those items in my body.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Also, "vegetable oil" is soybean oil, and almost certainly GM soybean oil.
  • siouxsie212
    Options
    Also, "vegetable oil" is soybean oil, and almost certainly GM soybean oil.

Gross, you're totally right (did that sound valley-girl much? lol). I completely gave up soy, and I do love some edamame, but... such is life. Now that I'm on this path, what's the point of choosing something that's GMO when I have the choice? If you read labels, it seems like EVERYTHING contains soy! And those Boca Burgers? Those are chemical patties. I had 2 pkgs in the freezer when I read the article about them and tossed them in the garbage.

Restaurants are definitely tough. Living in DC, currently, I am lucky enough to have a lot of restaurant that offer grass-fed beef and local organic produce.

I began this journey mostly because when I went to Ireland all they serve is local food, free of pesticides, lamb that was from the pasture down the road. My body felt incredible. I was completely rested on less sleep and had more energy than I can recall ever having. That's when I decided to make a change. First I tried gluten-free, but that wasn't the issue, I have no problem tolerating wheat gluten. Next up was just giving up as much processed food as humanly possible and eating non-GMO.
  • siouxsie212
    Options
    I choose the non-GMO product whenever available. I also make sure my products are uncured, contain no preservatives, no artificial coloring or flavorings, no MSG, and no HFCS. I feel much better without those items in my body.

Gotta admit, I do mourn bacon from time to time... LOL

Has anyone had any luck with CHICKEN though? It's impossible!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

Gotta admit, I do mourn bacon from time to time... LOL

Has anyone had any luck with CHICKEN though? It's impossible!

I live near (well, about an hour away) from an area with a lot of Amish. Once every couple of months my mom and I drive over to meet with a farmer who sells his own meats. Mostly beef and pork, but he also has half and whole chickens. It's more work, but so good.

Otherwise, we make do with the health food store. Costco also carries organic frozen chicken, but it's vegetarian fed, not free range.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I use Applegate Farms products. http://www.applegatefarms.com/products/organic_sunday_bacon.aspx

My deli meat, turkey bacon, cheese, hotdogs, etc. Processed yes, but a step up from the average processed grocery product.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Just wondering....

Assuming the current thoughts on Evolution as being correct.....
    Isn't everything GMO?
    I mean.... the genetics of EVERY plant/animal/organism has most certainly been modified over time, whether it be by nature or by man... and what is man if not a part of nature?
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I agree. Science makes everything better! :happy:
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    My local butcher carries free range organic chicken, at a pretty penny too, I just buy Trader Joe's organic chicken for the most part.
  • siouxsie212
    Options
    Just wondering....

Assuming the current thoughts on Evolution as being correct.....
    Isn't everything GMO?
    I mean.... the genetics of EVERY plant/animal/organism has most certainly been modified over time, whether it be by nature or by man... and what is man if not a part of nature?

Incorrect. Humans did not create food in laboratories. The natural process of hybridization occurs, sure, but this is NATURAL. Scientists going into a lab to create a trademarked soybean just for the sake of being able to spray it with extra-strong pesticides or grow it in an area or ground unsuitable for food growth isn't normal or natural.

Based on tests, the biggest concerns are:
    Health Concerns with GM Foods

* Increase in allergies
    * Increase in antibiotic resistance
    * Problems with endocrine system
    * Disorders of the reproductive system
    * Increase in aging symptoms

In a letter to Secretary of Agriculture, Tom Vilsack, Huber said the following,

“Based on a review of the data, it is widespread, very serious, and is in much higher concentrations in Roundup Ready (RR) soybeans and corn—suggesting a link with the RR gene or more likely the presence of Roundup. This organism appears NEW to science! … I believe the threat we are facing from this pathogen is unique and of a high-risk status. In layman’s terms, it should be treated as an emergency.” Now that’s some food for thought.

Read a little or watch a documentary, you might change your thinking.
  • siouxsie212
    Options
    Genetically modified foods (or GM foods) are foods derived from genetically modified organisms.

Genetically modified organisms have had specific changes introduced into their DNA by genetic engineering techniques. These techniques are much more precise[1] than mutagenesis (mutation breeding) where an organism is exposed to radiation or chemicals to create a non-specific but stable change.

Other techniques by which humans modify food organisms include selective breeding; plant breeding, and animal breeding, and somaclonal variation.
  • siouxsie212
    Options
    You can also go with the non-food GMO argument.

Here are some facts about the world's largest proponent, Monsanto.

The non-profit Center for Food Safety listed 112 lawsuits by Monsanto against farmers for claims of seed patent violations. The Center for Food Safety's analyst stated that many innocent farmers settle with Monsanto because they cannot afford a time consuming lawsuit. Monsanto is frequently described by farmers as "Gestapo" and "Mafia" both because of these lawsuits and because of the questionable means they use to collect evidence of patent infringement.

You can get more info in documentaries such as "Food, Inc." "Seeds of Deception" or "The Future of Food".

If you want to eat these frankenfoods, be my guest. I'm going the other way.

Bon apetit!
    :-)
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    This is always such an interesting topic!

I'm a biology major, and this past semester I took a class called "Plant biotechnology and genetic engineering." It was really cool, and we talked about the process of making something a GMP (taking a particular gene(s) and inserting it into a single cell that can result in an entire plant) and the purposes they serve.

I personally believe in evolution, and everything technically is a GMO. There is a rice called "Golden Rice" that is trying to be created to increase the amount of beta-carotene (precursor of vitamin A) that can be grown in third world countries where B-carotene is deficient. I think that in some ways, this is a really cool idea. They are also trying to come up with food-vaccines so that they can be grown by these places and there is no reason for extra needles/administrators/etc (although there is nothing that works perfectly yet, there is loads of error). I don't like GMOs that interfere with nutritional value. Just because a tomato looks redder, and bigger, it doesn't mean that it is better for you if it doesn't have the same nutritional value.

My biggest problems are with pesticides and herbicides that our plants are exposed to. It contaminates the environment and has a large effect on the local wildlife. A lot of these chemicals have estrogenic effects that can mess with hormones too. However, there are some plants that have pesticides built in that are wicked cool. Cry genes only affect insects (they work on basic stomachs, we have acidic), so it doesn't affect us. I've read a few papers in some Biotech journals about a particular herbicide that, in large quantities, are carcinogenic as well as vastly affecting the reproductive system of mice. Of course, it's mice, but we are mammals too! However, everything is toxic to us, even water, depending on the quantity. I personally wouldn't like to take my chances.

But in the end it all comes down to personal opinion. Both sides have strong arguments. I personally choose organic because I want what nature gave me. I think in the long run the effects of GMOs (like the estrogenic effects on us and on wildlife) will do more harm than good. But maybe not! The problem is that we can't predict what's going to happen in the future. But we can guess!
  • siouxsie212
    Options
    BioQueen, you're correct. Most food takes 5 days to a week to get to market, reducing the nutrition substantially.

You can also use chicken as an example. Packing chickens where they have only inches of space to move and injecting them with hormones to increase their breast size while feeding them Monsanto grains to the point that they will pass out and die after taking 3 steps... that just isn't for me.

People do have a right to eat GMOs if they choose, but I think I'm going to go the natural route.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I have very thoughtfully read every word of this post. And yet.... I just am not convinced that foods I have been eating every day for a quarter of a century are any more harmful to me, when consumed in moderation, than the "natural", GMO free, organic stuff.

I do think it is GREAT that you have done so much research on the subject, believe so strongly about it, and MORE SO THAN ANYTHING ELSE: actively do something about it. For that, I admire you! :flowerforyou: