Is Anyone Else Here Non-GMO?

Options

Replies

• siouxsie212
    Options
    What's even more great is that since I've just changed the foods I eat, I've dropped 12 lbs without even trying. I feel more energy, sleep better, less depressed, more motivated and my concentration is up. For me, that's evidence enough, without looking at anything else. The less carcinogens in my body, the better. The more vitamins I can consume through food without taking pills, the better.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    for the most part its technically impossible to eat NON GMO..since pretty much everything today has been genetically modified in some way or another..whether it be through cross breeding/pollination or through genetic engineering in a lab..which are basically the same thing..weeding out undesirable genes or accentuate desirable ones.

and government studies have shown there is no difference in nutritional value in gmo or non gmo foods.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    Just wondering....

Assuming the current thoughts on Evolution as being correct.....
    Isn't everything GMO?
    I mean.... the genetics of EVERY plant/animal/organism has most certainly been modified over time, whether it be by nature or by man... and what is man if not a part of nature?

you are completely correct
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    (This also means corporations can TRADEMARK food ~ like it's a chair or a TV!)

Actually, most seeds are trademarked at first. If you buy Pink Lady apples, you're paying a New Zealand company royalties for the name. Most seeds and grafts for specific breeds like that have to be bought via the company that developed them, not just the GMO ones. There are ways around that, of course. For example, a lot of American farmers will grow and marked the Pink Lady under the name Crisps Pink to avoid paying for the name.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    For the most part I try to stick to non-GMO foods as much as possible and eat as organic as possible too. Food in its natural, whole state is always best! Also, I try to eat as local as possible too. Food tastes better and fresher when it's local. It's better for the environment and local economy too.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned with buying more local when it comes to my produce, which in the end works out to no GMOs and a large portion of my foods being organic. I don't really think there's that much of a difference between people who actively buy organic and seek out non-GMOs and those who don't, other than attitude. Buying local, though, generally means buying in season, which means better, fresher, riper produce. I mean, eating clean is certainly different than how I used to eat, but it would still be eating clean if I wasn't buying mostly organic. I'm pretty sure most of my GMOs were before were meats and dairy, and I cut all of those (except fish) out, anyway.

I wish there was a "like" button. I want to "like" this. I love shopping locally. I don't do non-GMO, but I watched a documentary on GM foods. Interesting. I don't remember the name though. Which makes bringing it up pointless. Maybe if was on Netflix...this is the laziest comment I have ever left, anywhere.
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    I completely gave up soy, and I do love some edamame, but... such is life. Now that I'm on this path, what's the point of choosing something that's GMO when I have the choice?

The tofu and soy milk I buy are both non-GMO. They say so quite boldly on the label. It's possible to find non-GMO soy. I don't eat a lot of it, but I need some to supplement my calcium and protein needs.

Also, I think non-GMO and organic is only a fraction of the equation that makes those of us who seek them out feel better. I think we all feel so good because we've adopted a lifestyle that revolves around eating whole, fresh foods with little to no additives. Even if you're eating non-organic fruits and vegetables and still eating some corn or soy (or other, typically GM foods), such a lifestyle is still going to make you healthier.

I will agree that the meat industry is more questionable, though, which is part of why I gave it up (and try my best to eat only fresh, wild fish).
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    What's even more great is that since I've just changed the foods I eat, I've dropped 12 lbs without even trying. I feel more energy, sleep better, less depressed, more motivated and my concentration is up. For me, that's evidence enough, without looking at anything else. The less carcinogens in my body, the better. The more vitamins I can consume through food without taking pills, the better.

Yeah.....still not convinced.

I've dropped 42 lbs, experienced all the effects you're talking about, never take pills other than ibuprofen and the occasional migraine pill.... and I've done it by eating GMO's, processed foods, diet soda, and even artificial junk like aspartame. I EVEN eat at McDonalds once in a while (usually by my husband's choice).

Nice try, though. :wink:
  • Seajolly
    Options

I've dropped 42 lbs, experienced all the effects you're talking about, never take pills other than ibuprofen and the occasional migraine pill.... and I've done it by eating GMO's, processed foods, diet soda, and even artificial junk like aspartame. I EVEN eat at McDonalds once in a while (usually by my husband's choice).

Everyone is different. Glad to see that your diet is working for you. However, many people prefer the natural route because a lot of these chemicals and additives and genetically modified ingredients are so NEW that we really have no idea about their long-term consequences. So sure, maybe you're losing a lot of weight, and that's awesome! But what about 40 years from now? How will those ingredients affect your body then? There are many studies that link diet soda to bone loss, for one...
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    There are many studies that link diet soda to bone loss, for one...

I thought soda in general led to bone loss, as the carbonation is what causes decalcification.
  • Seajolly
    Options

I thought soda in general led to bone loss, as the carbonation is what causes decalcification.

Actually that is true. It's all soda. I don't want to get into the artificial sweetener debate which is done to death on these boards though... Of course there are a million side affects for them and other non-natural ingredients such as dyes, bulking agents, preservatives, etc...
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options

Actually that is true. It's all soda. I don't want to get into the artificial sweetener debate which is done to death on these boards though... Of course there are a million side affects for them and other non-natural ingredients such as dyes, bulking agents, preservatives, etc...

Yeah, to each their own, but, when I gave up diet soda, I had the worse headache of my life, and for about two days straight, and I was still drinking coffee at the time, so it had nothing to do with the caffeine. It was even worse than the time I did give up caffeine. That alone has motivated me to avoid artificial sweeteners for life (that and the fact that all of them make me sick).
  • SiltyPigeon
    Options

Everyone is different. Glad to see that your diet is working for you. However, many people prefer the natural route because a lot of these chemicals and additives and genetically modified ingredients are so NEW that we really have no idea about their long-term consequences. So sure, maybe you're losing a lot of weight, and that's awesome! But what about 40 years from now? How will those ingredients affect your body then? There are many studies that link diet soda to bone loss, for one...

Well... I haven't lost my bones, yet. Maybe in 40 years.

Do you use a cell phone? They are new. Studies have linked them to brain cancer. If you stand by your argument about diet soda, it would be hypocritical of you to use a cell phone.

I don't worry about the things that MIGHT happen. Only about the things that are LIKELY to happen.
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    Do you use a cell phone? They are new. Studies have linked them to brain cancer.

Actually, recent studies have shown that they're about as high of a cancer risk as pickles.
  • SiltyPigeon
    Options
    Do you use a cell phone? They are new. Studies have linked them to brain cancer.

Actually, recent studies have shown that they're about as high of a cancer risk as pickles.

And recent studies have shown that there is no connection between cancer and artificial sweeteners. So, balls back in your court!
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options

And recent studies have shown that there is no connection between cancer and artificial sweeteners. So, balls back in your court!

No one said anything about artificial sweeteners leading to cancer. Someone said diet soda leads to bone loss, and I corrected that soda in general leads to bone loss, as it's the carbonation that has decalcifying effects. I'm just saying that cell phones may or may not lead to brain cancer. All we know is that, according to the most recent studies, they have an almost insignificant risk. There are always going to be new studies saying something new, especially about things that have only been around for a couple of decades. It's up to you to decide whether it's worth the risk or not.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Here's my rule on food:
    If I don't know where it came from or who made it? Forget about it.

Who knows how many machines touch corn/rice fields and transport it while sending it through more man-made devices that hull and shell and cut up these plants? Only to send the raw materials (frozen? dehydrated?) to another group of people further away (maybe on trucks across the USA, or on boats) to continue to hack away at the original product to make something new for ANOTHER company to use. I.E. corn into dehydrated corn into powdered corn into liquefied corn into bio-chemically altered (by adding enzymes in labs) corn syrup.
    Scary. Tons of hands, tons of machines.
  • Seajolly
    Options
    Well... I haven't lost my bones, yet. Maybe in 40 years.

Do you use a cell phone? They are new. Studies have linked them to brain cancer. If you stand by your argument about diet soda, it would be hypocritical of you to use a cell phone.

I don't worry about the things that MIGHT happen. Only about the things that are LIKELY to happen.

Yes I do use a cellphone. I also use a computer. I also travel by airplane and go through metal detectors. I also drink water and breathe air. They all cause exposure to radiation. You can't LIVE without getting exposed to radiation... It's all about what risks are you willing to take. I use a landline phone whenever possible, or head phones. I ask for the manual pat down at airports instead of going through the detectors. I try to limit my exposure to ALL bad things, including radiation just for one. Everyone has to make that choice for themselves... Is what I'm doing or eating worth the risk?
  • siouxsie212
    Options
    for the most part its technically impossible to eat NON GMO..since pretty much everything today has been genetically modified in some way or another..whether it be through cross breeding/pollination or through genetic engineering in a lab..which are basically the same thing..weeding out undesirable genes or accentuate desirable ones.

and government studies have shown there is no difference in nutritional value in gmo or non gmo foods.

Cross pollination is not considered GMO. GMO is an organism or microorganism whose genetic material has been altered by means of genetic engineering. Meaning people, humans have altered an organism. So you'd be incorrect in your statement.
  • siouxsie212
    Options

LOL, because, yes, I believe everything my government tells me. Especially since a number of them are on the corporate boards of such companies as CON AGRA and Monsanto. LOL

There is a HUGE nutritional difference.