How much do you spend on groceries?

Options

Replies

• Blakemore1229
    Options
    We are a family of 4 plus 2 dogs on average i spend about 120 every two weeks...so about 240$ a month. I do the coupons and watch for low prices.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    There's one of me, and including ERRRTHANG, 400/month. protein, shampoo, it all.
  • sparadise
    sparadise Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Family of 5 (also on single income)...I feel your pain! LOL! Anyways, I would have to estimate we spend about 400.00 on groceries and toiletries. However, we buy our meat about twice a year from a butcher which is about 1200.00 per year. Bulk toiletries average about 50.00 So round it up to 550.00 give or take. Every time I think about it I tell myself its time to start a garden!!!! I just don't even know where to start! This would save me about a 50.00-80.00 a month I think!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Including beer around 70-80 bucks a week.
    Excluding beer around 25-30. :embarassed:
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    For me and my wife its about 35 USD +- weekly, for food and personal care items

You need to come help me LOL
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    well it's just me so i spend abt $200. BUUUUUT, i went 2 the store sunday & got rang up for $147 but after coupons & discounts i walked out payin on $72!! :noway: :tongue: :love:

i go 2 a store that dbls coupons up to .99cents but it's not harris teeter (they're expensive anyways lol)

that was my 3rd time usin coupons! i'm tryin 2 get it down to $8 LOL
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Wow...the answers are certainly very varied! Great question by the way...I always wonder by how much I overspend!! :laugh:

There are two of us, and two cats :happy: We spend around £65 per week on food items only.
    I'm aware this is quite a bit, but we eat well so I'm not too keen to change - decent quality lean meats and fresh organic veg.
    Having said that we are trying to budget a little at the mo as we're paying off our holiday....haha "bulk cooking!"

Toiletries, supplements, household cleaning stuff etc is all seperate as we purchase elsewhere.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I can only guess-timate on the amount I spend on groceries. There are four of us on the grocery bill. Probbaly $600 / month. That doesn't include feed for 7 dogs & 60 goats. Good thing we have weaned all the goat kids off the bottle. That saved me about $100 / month on formula.
  • Madrow
    Madrow Posts: 62
    Options
    I'm in a family of 4 (one income as well) and we spend $400 - $500 for groceries, personal care, and household stuff like trash bags, etc. If we pay attention to sales and coupons we only spend about $300. I'm not one of the obsessive couponers but there are some really great deals sometimes. Buying in bulk can help if you have the time and energy to store things so they will last. We usually buy from a typical supermarket like Kroger and Safeway because I'm not around an Aldi or Save-A-Lot yet, which is decent at a bargain, like 40% off and they have produce and even some types of soymilk too. The Aldi brand is actually the name brands teaming up w/ Aldi so they can get in on the "bargain" market but it's good for us cuz we get to save. The drawback is variety is kinda scarce there, so I don't travel 30 minutes to my closest one. Gas is too expensive.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I dont even know... I go to Costco twice a month and drop $200 or more each time and then I stop and shop a few of times a month and i spend about $50 each time. I think I am pretty frugal, I get coupons and buy in bulk and look for sale items to stock up on. I also make my own wine, so that right there is huge savings, not that i drink much anymore.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Family of 2 during the week, 3 on the weekends (his daughter) 2 large dogs, 1 cat, 3 crabs and 3 fish.

We spend about $200-$250 a month on food. We have a large freezer so we freeze a lot and will start canning soon to prepare for the winter. I hate getting out and about in the winter and you never know when bad weather will hit. So, it is always best to get the freezer and canning stocked for those times.

As for personal items and household items thats $50 a month, the animals run about $100 a month, the bulk of it being the dogs food.

One thing to think about when you are reading other peoples spending, food cost different in different parts of the country and world, and some states, like where I am do not have tax on food where others do, so that makes the difference in what we are spending too.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    It's just me and my boyfriend (and our two cats) in our house. We spend around $200 every 2 weeks on everything (food, toiletries, cat stuff, etc). Sometimes we'll run out of a certain food item that we really want between shopping trips, and I'll run to the store and spend an extra $20 or so every now and then. But most of the time that one big trip will last us.

We buy organic products when/if they're available, and we buy some specialty items. For example, our milk is $6/gal. We could cut costs by switching to cheaper or lower quality things, but it's not worth it. We've decided that, while we can afford it, we're going to eat the best quality foods that we can.

Same thing with our cat food. We buy Innova & Science Diet for the kitties and mix the bags together. It's not cheap. There may come a point where we can't afford to feed them (and ourselves) as well as we currently can. So we make it a point to give their bodies (and our bodies) the best we can.

I also don't clip coupons or shop at a bunch of different stores for deals. I tried it once or twice, and it's just not for me. Too much hassle and work for a limited benefit. I don't like shopping, so I'd rather stop at one store, get everything, and go home.
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    family of 3 plus a dog and a cat, we spend 3-400 every 2 weeks on groceries, gas, toiletries, etc..everything we need because that's all we have lol
  • luelue1971
    luelue1971 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There are 3 adults and one child in my house plus 2 adult cats, 3 kittens and 1 dog and we spend about $550 per month.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    ROUGHLY ABOUT 500 - 600 A MONTH THATS FOR A FAMILY OF 3 AND A DOG...KEEP IN MIND i HAVE A SON ALMOST 18 YEARS OLD WHO loves TO EAT AND HE WANTS MEAT AND POTAOTES EVERYNIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DID i MENTION THAT WHEN WE BUY EGGS i GET THEM AT WALMART THOES BOX THAT HAS 5 DOZEN IN THEM !!! THAT SHOULD TELL YA SOMETHING !!!

BREAKFAST IS A MUST IN MY HOUSE EVERYMORNING !!!!! OH AND THA FACT THAT MY SONS FRIENDS PRACTILY LIVE WITH US MY BILL IS VERY HIGH !!! lol
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Household of two (and a cat!) We spend about £60 per week online shopping (we get all our heavy stufff like cans / tins, cat food / cat litter, laundry and cleaning stuff etc..) plus we spend another £30 on fresh meat, veg, salad etc...

With other bits and pieces like toiletries (and maybe a bottle of wine here!!) it's in the region of £100 per week for two people

We also eat out or go out for a few drinks maybe once a week, and every month I go the the local bargain store and stock up on branded toiletries and cleaning stuff (every item is a £1)
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Wow! $800? Do you shop at Costco or Sam's club or BJs? Start buying in Bulk! We spend about $400 a month for two of us but my Honey also likes nice steaks and to go to Whole Foods every so often... He spend $25 on some cheese the other day.... one block of CHEESE! If I didn't go to Costco our bills would be much higher.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    wow, Thank you all so much for your replies. I have major issues with shopping.... My pantry is STOCKED yet I still continue to buy. ( the kids and hubs dont want what in there sometimes and I just keep buying) I need to make some changes.... thank you all again ♥♥

Our pantry will feel like that sometimes - a lot of food but seeming nothing to eat. What I do is go through everything and sort out a meal. If I need one or two things to round it out, that's what I'll buy at the store. My boyfriend is amazingly good at just throwing random things together and making it taste delicious, so that's a plus too.
  • TNGirlyGirl
    TNGirlyGirl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    We're a family of 6 most of the time, including 4 teenagers (3 of 'em boys!!). On weekends when our other two boys come home from college... yeah.... it's a lot!!! We eat out 2-3 times a week (which we're trying to cut down on for both health and budget) but I still spend about $200 a week on groceries and toiletries; add another $150 a week for eating out.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Family of Two.
    We spend like 400 euro a month (560 US Dollars), but we buy all organic meat/dairy, about 1/2 organic produce, and organic/natural toiletries... don't worry, we pay for our snobbery, as you see. This also includes wine, beer, or eating out once a week, or once every 2 weeks. :)