Quick, Filling, Super Spicy 55 Calorie Snack

Options
13»

Replies

• AmbersWay
    AmbersWay Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I just seen these in the market. I will def. give this a try!!!
  • WhatitisLiz
    WhatitisLiz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I found them at Sprouts today for $1.39. I bought their last package and I'm excited to try them!
  • droidrunner
    droidrunner Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bump
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I needed something a little bit filling that “had something to say.”

I mixed the following ingredients in a coffee cup and let the flavors marry for about 5-10 minutes:

tumblr_lon0tpU6Hv1qf7n0mo1_500.jpg

1) .5 serving of “Kimchee Base” (also referred to as "Kimchi Paste")
    2) 1 serving of habanero sauce
    3) 1 tsp minced garlic
    4) 1 tsp minced onion
    5) 1 tsp spicy spaghetti seasoning
    6) 2 tsp water

Then I drained and rinsed 1 package of tofu shirataki noodles (only 40 calories for the entire package) using hot water.

Next I sprayed a skillet with cooking spray and let it heat up to “medium-high” before adding the tofu shirataki noodles.

Tofu shirataki noodles absolutely do NOT stick and are easy to stir fry. They’re practically goof-proof.

Once the noodles were piping hot I removed the pan from the heat and poured the spicy mixture over it, ensuring that I mixed everything together well.

It was delicious— and over a half-pound of food had only 55 calories!

Edit: In case any of you are not familiar with tofu shirataki noodles, you'll find them in the tofu section of your grocery (obviously, I suppose) although they're usually cheaper in your local Asian market, if you have one ($2.49 at Publix vs. $1.99 at local Asian markets).

If I remember correctly the shirataki plant is a yam-like plant and they turn the tuber into a powder and make noodles out of it (among other things). They subsequently found that when they blended tofu into it that the consistency was closer to spaghetti noodles. You can buy shirataki noodles but I prefer the tofu shirataki, myself.

Cheers!

-Chelle

Please tell me where do I find "Kimchi Paste online that I can buy? I do not live in America and would have to have a online store that would ship internationally. Is there a substitute for "Kimchi Paste?
  • jennasuper
    Options
    Yummy! I love spicy food. Will definitely try. Thanks!
  • Thinsposa
    Thinsposa Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bumpin' it.
  • FlamencoGal
    FlamencoGal Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!! I LOVE spicy!!! Thank you!!!
  • finallychelle
    finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Please tell me where do I find "Kimchi Paste online that I can buy? I do not live in America and would have to have a online store that would ship internationally. Is there a substitute for "Kimchi Paste?

I buy it at an Asian market but you can use any hot sauce that you like.

The Dollar Tree sells Louisiana Supreme Chicken Wing Sauce. It's a dollar, like everything else in the store, and has 0 calories per serving.

The best part-- it tastes GREAT. I have actually come to prefer it over the Kimchee paste.

This is what the bottle looks like:

897277.jpg

If you don't have Dollar Tree stores where you live just look for a 0 calorie (or near 0 calorie) hot wing sauce.

Or order online from www.dollartree.com

Enjoy!

-Chelle
  • thingeringer
    thingeringer Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Based on your recommendation and instructions, I made shiritaki noodles today for the first time. Rinsed well, although they didn't have a bad smell to me, and dry fried. Stirred in my spaghetti sauce, heated it all a bit and had a good, FILLING lunch. They are a different texture from pasta (go figure, they're not eggs and flour!) but they were just fine. Thanks so much for sharing your research.
  • finallychelle
    Options
    Based on your recommendation and instructions, I made shiritaki noodles today for the first time. Rinsed well, although they didn't have a bad smell to me, and dry fried. Stirred in my spaghetti sauce, heated it all a bit and had a good, FILLING lunch. They are a different texture from pasta (go figure, they're not eggs and flour!) but they were just fine. Thanks so much for sharing your research.

Yay! I'm so happy that they worked out for you!

They're so versatile. You can make them to suit any craving!

-Chelle
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options

The Dollar Tree sells Louisiana Supreme Chicken Wing Sauce. It's a dollar, like everything else in the store, and has 0 calories per serving.

The best part-- it tastes GREAT. I have actually come to prefer it over the Kimchee paste.

897277.jpg

If you don't have Dollar Tree stores where you live just look for a 0 calorie (or near 0 calorie) hot wing sauce.

Enjoy!

-Chelle

Thanks Chelle, so since I live in Europe does that mean any chicken hot wing sauce will do?
  • Thirstygirl
    Thirstygirl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for this idea... i love the shirataki noodles and love spicy!!! must try!!!
  • finallychelle
    Options

897277.jpg

Enjoy!

-Chelle

Thanks Chelle, so since I live in Europe does that mean any chicken hot wing sauce will do?

Absolutely! Just be sure to pay attention to calorie content!

And if the hot wing flavor doesn't suit you then try some other hot sauces. Maybe a Mexican green chili sauce, or Sriracha or Choloula. Tweak it to your taste buds.

My primary requirement is that it be DEADLY hot. I go through a lot of habanero sauce.

-Chelle
  • roman109
    Options
    bump
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Bump to try this. I have yet to find a recipe that allows me to choke those things down. They freak me out and trigger my gag reflex from the "crunchiness"!
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Wow, only 55 cals. sounds yummy.
  • daisyrose305
    Options
    Never heard of those noodles but I'm going to give them a try now!
    Thank you for sharing! :smile: