Today I'm not a fan of vegans...

Options

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I agree. I hate the idea of mass produced honey, milk, chicken and all other stuff, it is terrible how those animals are treated and pass killed. But there is nothing wrong with a family having some chickens and using their eggs or having bees and harvesting honey. They should really get their priorities straight!

Ditto. I buy my honey from a local guy and he also loves his bees. While the smoke they use when harvesting can 'stun' the bees that's not what hurts them. They can be killed when the honey is harvested but those individuals who care about their bees and products do their best to insure that this doesn't happen.
    I was a very strict vegan for 4 years, I'm a vegetarian now...and not because of honey, lol.
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I am cool with vegans/vegetarians as long as they don't jump down my throat for eating meat. I have a really good veggie friend and we are able to sit down at a restaurant and share a meal, me with meat on my plate, without her saying anything at all to me about it.

I hate it when people try to force something upon me. You enjoy your honey and the next time someone jumps all over you for something like that, ignore them and get your delicious vegan pizza anyway! I'm a freaking carnivore... I LOVE meat, but I try to get some vegan options (usually vegan sausage omg YUMMY!) because I don't like vegetables that much and the way they make vegan "meat" makes the soy/tofu/veggies taste so much better so I can actually stomach them.

I don't like mass produced stuff. I buy free-range, small farm, organic, etc whenever I can simply because I feel like supporting the local, small business is so much better for everything involved. The honey sounds awesome, and it sounds to me like she just wanted to be a jerk.

Don't let it get to you and remember that she doesn't speak for the whole vegan/veg society. You just have to find the awesome ones :)
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    That's one of the silliest things I've seen in a thread here in awhile and for MFP that's saying a LOT! :smile: i don't like too many cops either! :laugh: ....but i have been recruiting all my friends with farms to consider letting a beekeeper set up on their property in exchange for a little honey, the way my Dad used to do when I helped him keep bees when I was just a little guy...

.... Albert Einstein once said “If all the Bees were gone, humans would be gone within 4 years.”

if your vegan friend loves the earth she should consider doing the same!

No Bees, No Pollination!
  • twistedsista0408
    Options
    Well said!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    lots of people (like me) buy vegan food and we're not vegan. it's called a dairy allergy. she should be better at bringing people over the vegan side. where life is tragic and sad. :( i miss cheese.

Oh suggestion #2. Try to convert her to Christianity/something. It works. They get mad about a whole new thing and then you get to point out if she can push her beliefs on you then you and push right back.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    lots of people (like me) buy vegan food and we're not vegan. it's called a dairy allergy. she should be better at bringing people over the vegan side. where life is tragic and sad. :( i miss cheese.

Yes. This. My cart at the organic store looks like a very, very mixed up state of emotions - ostrich jerky, vegan cheese, and gluten-free bread...lol.
  • InTheRightLane
    Options
    This is a big reason why when I was vegan I didn't generally tell people I was vegan. People here the word vegan and automatically think of all of the crazy/militant vegans out there. I think that what a person eats is their personal choice. If you want to be a vegan, vegetarian, straight up carnivore, it is your choice. Just as I hope people wouldn't judge me for being a vegan, I would likewise not judge them.

One thing that did get to me was when people claimed to be vegan and then ate dairy/eggs in baked goods or whatever.

I learned an awesome term the other day "seagan" which is what I am now. I mostly eat vegan (no dairy/eggs/meat etc) but will have seafood on occasion.

That woman had no right to jump down your throat. She should have been happy that you were choosing to eat a vegan meal. God I hate crazy *kitten* vegans!
  • emmaline8
    emmaline8 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous, but I promise not all vegans are stupid like that :) But I had to post to say that your honey guy sounds exactly like the honey guy at my farm market. He's hysterical and really just loves bees and their honey.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    This is why I never preach about my vegan diet. What good does it do? Did that vegan's preaching and nastiness towards you make you consider going vegan? NO.

I hate it when some vegans give all of us a bad name.

For the record, it sounds like your honey is vegan-friendly, in my opinion.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    She should have identified herself as a member of the vegan police. We are not all like that. In fact, I do use honey, so maybe I am not vegan at all. Got to love a guy, who loves his bees...

Lol, vegan police! I love it!

I'm sorry you had to deal with that nonsense. Her unsolicited feedback was unwelcome, and props to you for moving on. She doesnt deserve your business. Silly woman!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    She should mind her own beeswax...

Did someone already use that one? I hope not...lol
  • bikerb422
    bikerb422 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    What the hell? She's what I call one of those "power vegans." I know many vegans & there's always one or two that think they're holier-than-thou & doing the universe a HUGE favor because they're not killing anything. I've been in arguments with these types because they like to tell me my ways are wrong.

Truth is... EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT & no one should judge anyone else for their lifestyle... unless it's cannibalism because that's just a tad-bit terrifying, haha! ;D

That girl had no right to ream you out just because you like to eat a more organic version of honey. If I were you, I would not be buying anything she has to sell anymore. And remind her that for her "mean-spirited holier-than-thou HONEY IS A TERRIBLE THING BECAUSE IT APPARENTLY HURTS BEES" rant, she just lost some business.

Some people, vegan, vegetarian, carnivores WHATEVER, are just really mean & stuck in their own ways with a closed mind. They don't deserve your time or your business.
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    youre quite a calm ranter haha. Like anyone holding strong to their opinion, she over enforced. Enjoy your honey! I LOVE MINE :D

i had the same reaction. if this is her rant, then i need to take some lessons, lol. forget the supervegan. btb, your chili honey sounds SUPER DELICIOUS!
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    The girl could have simply said she didn't eat honey and LET IT GO. She didn't have to get all preachy on you or assume that you were ignorant. Some vegans and vegetarians just can't wrap their minds around the fact that there are people who know the facts and STILL choose to eat non-veg foods for their own reasons. Even when I was vegan those types got on my nerves. Please do talk to the owner. She needs to know this kind of behavior goes on and that she could be losing money due to it.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Next week, bring her a red armband with a picture of a head of lettuce on it. Tell her, "If you're going to be a food Nazi, you might as well dress the part."
  • GinaKurtz
    GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Next week, bring her a red armband with a picture of a head of lettuce on it. Tell her, "If you're going to be a food Nazi, you might as well dress the part."
    :laugh:
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I was a vegan for 15 years (I'm still vegetarian), and I would never dream of telling someone else what to eat. In fact, I think people like that make other vegetarians even more angry because they give all of us a bad name.
  • GinaKurtz
    Options
    She should have identified herself as a member of the vegan police. We are not all like that. In fact, I do use honey, so maybe I am not vegan at all. Got to love a guy, who loves his bees...
    :laugh: I love this!
  • GinaKurtz
    Options
    I must say, I LOVE the responses to your "rant" & it really was a calm rant as others have said! I'm a vegetarian in progress, but I've made the decision for personal reasons. I have also toyed with becoming vegan, but I'm sticking to working on the vegetarian part for now. That being said, I can't imagine hearing someone go off like that! Wow! The nerve of some people!

I should also add that we know another married couple who are vegetarians working on becoming vegan & they are some of the unhealthiest people we know! They email out YouTube links to videos of cows being slaughtered & pigs being mistreated...like that's going to sway people! Honestly, one person choosing to not eat meat isn't going to change it that much. I say go with what you want & eat what you want....don't let some overzealous freak turn you away from what you want!
  • emma1488
    emma1488 Posts: 175
    Options
    This post makes me a bit sad. Please don't hate on all vegans/vegetarians-we're NOT all douche bags!

But I know how you feel. When I was transitioning from vegetarianism to veganism I employed the help of a vegan/veg forum. And boy were there some scary people in there. The forum was purely for non-cruelty to animals. When I said I was eating my own chicken and duck eggs...wow, did some people crack the ****s!

I love my chickens and care for them so well and they have a great life and yet I was still concidered 'evil' or whatever...they annoyed me and made me feel bad for what I was trying to do (which was help animals).

The way I figure it, the world is never going to stop using animals, though every vegan meal consumed is making a small difference which will add up to a big difference.

That woman sounded like a crazy, so I wouldn't let it bother you too much.

...though it probably wouldn't hurt to inform the owner if this woman is putting people off buying crueltyfree pizzas...