Fast food :/

Options
so im 20 about to be 21 i go out to eat with friends a lot and my mom for lunch like everyday.. when i go out my friends order the yummy stuff like cheeseburgers fries fatty foods.. you know the good sttuff.. lol and i try to get chicken and eat only half the bun and half the fries (usually ends up all) what do you suggest i do when i go out and what is everybodys favorite "healthy" fast food spot and what do you like to order..

thanks,
Brianna

Have a nice day!

Replies

• brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    Flame Broiler Chicken /Veggie Bowl Brown rice and white meat chicken!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    My "healthy" FF options are In N Out, hamburger protein style & split the fries, Subway, Pita Extreme and Sizzler salad bar only.
    If you have to eat at McDonalds, Burger King, etc. get the kids meals, small items, grilled chicken burgers without mayo, salad without dressing (if you have the salad & dressing you are better off eating a Big Mac, less fat and cals in a Big Mac vs. a lot of the FF salads), apple dippers without the dipping sauce, etc.
  • dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Salad with raspberry or balsamic dressing, use half the pack

Or just order a chicken breast by itself. Costs $2 at McDonalds
  • BrownEyedGiRL928
    BrownEyedGiRL928 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing to grab at McDonalds is a honey mustard GRILLED chicken snack wrap - it's about 260 calories. Depending on how many calories I've consumed during the day I order 2 instead of getting a snack wrap and fries.

Do you happen to have an iPhone? I recently downloaded a great app that tells me the nutritional info of foods at a ton of fast food joints. It's called Fast Food Calories and the app icon looks like a hamburger.
  • NSkip4
    NSkip4 Posts: 21
    Options
    Hey, i'm 21 and work at McDonalds!! so I know about what is OK to eat...... well the salad is an obvious choice but thats just rubbish isn't it??

Alot of places offer milk/water/oj as a drink so try and get that if you're opting for a meal, as for the main - a chicken sandwich is better than any bought sandwich from a shop with less than 400 cals and lots of protein - and a hamburger is only 250 calories, avoid CHEESE in fast food places - they add so many calories as does BACON and the SAUCE... try and avoid fries all together and get a fruit bag or just don't order them! 2 Hamburgers = 500 cals and have nutrition rather than fries.

I have successfully dieted while eating McDonalds food 3-4 times a week - just remember to choose wisely!! REMEMBER:

- Chicken Sandwich / Hamburger (NO CHEESE), NO FRIES, Healthy Drink (Diet Cola will fill you up) + Snack.

I hope this has helped you out, any more questions just ask.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    SALAD!!!
  • JimieLou
    JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    When I do go for Fast Food, I usually just get a hamburger...the cheese adds extra cals/fat....sometimes I may have a small FF (depending on what the rest of my day has been like) or a side salad. I always go for plain iced tea.
  • MamaJilldo
    MamaJilldo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Bring your own! I don't think it is rude as long as you're not at a sit down restaurant. Get a diet coke or coffee and bring your own health food. Eating out (especially fast food) is the worst for trying to lose weight- even being "good" and going to Panera to eat a salad can still be a ton of calories and doesn't leave you much calorie room to eat the rest of the day. Or- suggest a picnic or invite people to bring a dish and eat at your place.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I was worried about the same thing. I was gone for a while out of town and my friends have been wanting to go out a lot. Ido not eat fast food but if I do go out I search the web and ask the restaurant for the nutritional info. you can still get good food and be healthy. I had mozzarella sticks the other night rare treat since they were fried and still came in under calories. Do not be afraid to be that person that needs the calorie info before making a decision. If the place does not have any I get something simple, chicken or fish, no bread, no fries for a side and like you said try to eat half. If you are eating small meals a day just save the rest for later because you will be hungry later. I pack a lot of pre measures snacks if I am going out for the entire day, and try to eat at home as much as possible. All in all you kinda need to not go out as much. Make lunch for your mom at home and get informed before you go out to a restaurant.

Just saw this on another post http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayinhealth/how-accurate-are-restaurant-calorie-counts
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    My "healthy" FF options are In N Out, hamburger protein style & split the fries, Subway, Pita Extreme and Sizzler salad bar only.
    If you have to eat at McDonalds, Burger King, etc. get the kids meals, small items, grilled chicken burgers without mayo, salad without dressing (if you have the salad & dressing you are better off eating a Big Mac, less fat and cals in a Big Mac vs. a lot of the FF salads), apple dippers without the dipping sauce, etc.

Yup. Also, just don't order the fries if you cannot help finish it all.
  • illusio
    illusio Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Steamed dim sum - 9 steamed shrimp/seafood dumplings and a portion of seaweed crackers for 400 cals, superb.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken is not always the way to go but ordering small hamburgers without mayo (mustard and ketchup is usually ok) no bbq sauce, no ranch etc usually one of those servings has between 40-80 calories just for the sauce.

Go with salad as long as its not filled with croutons, bacon, cheese, eggs etc. Which is actually hard to get. Dont order fries or any soft drink other than a diet version, try water its usually free.

from Carls/ Burger King / Jack in the Box - I go for basic burger (jumbo jack/ whopper / etc) I order no mayo, no cheese, extra tomato, lettuce and pickles and then when I eat it I take the top bun off and eat it with a fork and knife. Its around 400 calories and its not something to eat everyday but its a nice treat....

Go to Burger King website / nutrition they have an awesome feature where you can remove and add things to your food items and it calculates all the nutrition
  • GoyaMommy13
    GoyaMommy13 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    my fave for Fast Food is Chik Fil A - it's not everywhere, but if you have one close to you- Go!

so for those of you unfamiliar with the deliciousness that is chik Fil A - they have chicken entrees. Crazy - I know. Anyways, they have a ton of options for chicken sandwiches, soups, wraps, salads.

my go to for chik fil a is the chargrilled chicken salad (about 180 calories) or if i want to indulge: the spicy chicken wrap (410 calories, i know, i know, i said indulge!). and they have side salad or cup of fruit as a substitute for fries for the meals.
  • LMorrison1009
    LMorrison1009 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    At McDonald's I like to get the grilled chicken Caesar salad and substitute the dressing for low fat Italian. It's really good and only about 300 calories.
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    Maybe ask your friends and family to go to subway where they can get a buffalo chicken sub and you can get a turkey hoagie with veggies. They're your friends and family, they'll understand that you need to have some control over choices too, but if you do end up at Mickey D's go with a plain burger and apple wedges!
  • mgaither
    mgaither Posts: 115
    Options
    I've tried something recently that has worked for me.....

When I know that I'll be eating out for a meal, I pack a healthy snack that I eat RIGHT before I head to the fast food joint. I found that when I'm not super hungry, I make smarter choices....AND it's cheaper, because, being partially full, I order less food!
  • brianna_bananas
    Options
    omg thanks!! very good ideas i now will have more options for going out and just being better ..
    i especially like eating healthy before i go out so i can get somethig small (spending less will be a plus too)
    and at fast food places i usually get kids meals but i liked all the other options you guys mentioned..