What kind of vitamins and supplements do YOU take?

Options
13»

Replies

• delco714
    delco714 Posts: 229
    Options
    B50 complex, vit C-1000, 5000iu Vit D, chelated magnesium and potassium, omega3, CoQ10, flax seed oil

3.2 g of beta-alanine (1.6g 30 minutes prior to workout)

Whey protein via Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard powder
  • embclark
    embclark Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    D-3
    Vitamin E
    Green Tea

(for IBS)
    Triple Fiber
    Probiotic

(for mental stability)
    St. John's Wort

(for thyroid)
    Kelp

And a multi-mineral... I take this instead of a multi-vitamin. It has similar ingredients, but I have had 1 miscarriage and 1 partial molar pregnancy and was told that both of these are caused by your body being malnurished (spelling?) and that meant I needed more minerals...

I ALSO take everything in either a capsule or gel form. I don't trust real vitamins to dissolve in me. I have seen too many picture of septic walls covered in pills to spend my money on them. Just my opinion... I know that some dissolve well, but I don't believe there is anything set by the FDA for this.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Just a multi and calcium chews.

FYI - if you are going to invest in C, get a lower dose (100mg or less). At most, the body can only really absorb 20mg/hr, and you just pee the rest out, hence urine being bright yellow or orange after taking C (and B complexes). Those 1000mg supplements are a waste of money. Plus, the body is more efficient at absorbing multiple small doses rather than one large dose.
  • delco714
    delco714 Posts: 229
    Options
    actually your body will excrete 200-250 mg of those original 1000mg in 3-5 hrs, but will also absorb up to 500mg in less time. The rest of the mg (250-300mg) will be excreted or stored depending on necessity.

Ideally 2 500 mg tabs would be best, in the morning and evening. But, realistically, who cares since vit c deficiency is rare in 1st world countries. If you want to fight off a cold, 2-3gm/day can be taken in 1g increments, but shouldn't be maintained for than a few days due to increased risk of kidney stones!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    "Bioavailability was complete for 200 mg of vitamin C as a single dose. No vitamin C was excreted in urine of six of seven volunteers until the 100-mg dose. At single doses of 500 mg and higher, bioavailability declined and the absorbed amount was excreted...Based on these data and Institute of Medicine criteria, the current RDA of 60 mg daily should be increased to 200 mg daily, which can be obtained from fruits and vegetables. Safe doses of vitamin C are less than 1000 mg daily, and vitamin C daily doses above 400 mg have no evident value."

Vitamin C pharmacokinetics in healthy volunteers: evidence for a recommended dietary allowance.
    M Levine, C Conry-Cantilena, Y Wang, R W Welch, P W Washko, K R Dhariwal, J B Park, A Lazarev, J F Graumlich, J King, and L R Cantilena, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 93(8): 3704–3709.
  • ohiostatefan606
    Options
    My Holistic Health and Wellness "guru" has me on numerous things

They are all Whole-Food Supplements, which means they are made from real foods in concentrated form

A-F Betafood - helps with gallbladder and liver function
    Allerplex - helps to control allergies (hayfever)
    Antronex - helps with liver function
    Gastrex - helps with digestive issues
    I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis - I've been symptom free for 10 months
    Simplex F - female hormone
    This has resolved my monthly headaches and moodiness associated with my cycle
    Drenamin - helps regulate adrenal gland
    I was extremely tired and sluggish, that feeling has gone away

I also take Vitamin C, Calcium, Vitamin D in the fall, winter,spring (I live in NE Ohio)