Calories burned while grocery shopping

Options
klfazio
klfazio Posts: 48 Member
Ok, I have a funny question. Do you think calories burned during grocery shopping should be counted? Let me explain......I'm beginning to discover if I don't eat back all or most of my exercise calories my weight loss stalls, but it sure is hard to estimate calories burned for certain activities. I just came home from shopping. I was in the store 1 hour and 15 minutes, pushing around a very heavy cart, loaded all the groceries in the cart, took them all out of the cart ( to be checked out), then loaded them into the car, then upstairs once at my house, then put them all away. Probably at least 20 bags, some very heavy. Just seems that calorie burn should be included....what do you think? And any idea how to even figure out how many cals I burned......there is nothing similar on MFP.

Thanks much!
Kim : )

Replies

• TheDWAJ
    TheDWAJ Posts: 1
    Options
    75 minutes light walking
    15 minutes weight training

I think that would be a good estimate

Anywhere between 75-150 calories burned wouldn't seem that high.
  • britishstar41
    britishstar41 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I agree. I do MAJOR grocery shopping once a month (instead of shopping weekly like most people) and I always end up feeling like I had a workout.
  • KBrenOH
    KBrenOH Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I start my pedometer when I go to the store so I can get a gauge as to what I burn because it's never a "quick" trip. As for the weight lifting aspect of it though, I never count that really.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Instead of counting everyday activites individually, try increasing your MFP activity level. Your calorie alottment will increase accordingly.

Good luck!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I don't log it, it's part of my monthly routine and I'd rather log things that are out of my norm.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    My thought process is that I only count things as exercise if it was something I did not do when I was fat. So, I still went grocery shopping when I was fat, so doing that "exercise" did not help me lose then so I am not counting it now.

I only count the things I do extra (i.e real exercise) to help me maintain me goal weight.

HTH.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I do that too, but I never count that. Main reason for me is regardless how long the shopping is, it doesn't raise my heart rate enough to be consider counting. Just eat your other exercise calories (including gardening, cause I found out, with HRM, it does raise my heart rate when I'm digging around, etc)
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    No, not exercise! Only time dedicated to exercise should be counted. Not daily activities, even if only once a month, the body is used to this and expects you to burn those calories.

Better safe than overeating!

Good Luck!
  • vold94
    vold94 Posts: 256
    Options
    I don't log it, it's part of my monthly routine and I'd rather log things that are out of my norm.

I agree. On the other hand. I did log a shopping trip I did twice this weekend, but only as the walking. That was just because I spent 4 hours one day and over 7 hours the other day shopping, walking. I don't normally do that, so it was out of the norm for me. But as for grocery shopping and stuff like that, I don't log!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Instead of counting everyday activites individually, try increasing your MFP activity level. Your calorie alottment will increase accordingly.

Good luck!

This. If you don't think you are allotted enough calories without logging things like grocery store trips try upping your activity level. Mine is at lightly active even though I have a desk job due to all the extra activity I do at home on the weekends, and the walks I take at lunch, walking to my car, etc.
  • garreltsnk
    garreltsnk Posts: 19
    Options
    My thought process is that I only count things as exercise if it was something I did not do when I was fat. So, I still went grocery shopping when I was fat, so doing that "exercise" did not help me lose then so I am not counting it now.

I only count the things I do extra (i.e real exercise) to help me maintain me goal weight.

HTH.
    [I have to agree to that]
  • Corinnamo
    Corinnamo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I logged it as walking at a slow pace, 2.0 mph, because it's not something I do daily. I know I burn calories doing everyday activities but I don't log everything I doall day because I see it as normal daily activity. Grocery shopping is not normal daily activity.
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I log big things in every day life like cleaning to the walls and 20 to 25 bag grocery shopping because i don't eat back my calories. I am eating a lot less than when I did these same things in the past.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Is grocery shopping something you just started when you joined MFP? If not then it seems like it would be included in your normal routine. Like cleaning the house, washing the car, cleaning the rain gutters, etc. But hey if recording it works for you then record it.

I only record specific time set aside for exercise that is additon to my monthly routine.

Shirley in Oregon
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    NO
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    absolutely not. you burn a certain amount of calories hourly anyway. yes you are probably burning more than sitting on the couch but where do you draw the line?? start counting going up stairs, vacuuming, etc. I would only count it when your heart rate is elevate for 20 min or so like in a workout.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I wear 2 HRMs they both confirmed that when picking up and returning a tin of non-dolphin friendly tuna to the self I burned 0.2 calories.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

HTH.

This here captured it well. You did this when you weighed more and it didn't do much so why count it now.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    No. Only log them if you are planning on plateauing because you've overestimated how many calories to eat back. Grocery shopping is not an exercise.
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Each to their own.......my activity level is set at sedentary because I sit at a desk to work.....doing the weekly shop for four people including loading and unloading the car is activity so I log it. Lifting those 4x2litre packs of diet coke several times feels like activity to me!!