Calories burned while grocery shopping

Options

Replies

• PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I would consider that normal activity and not exercise. If you need to adjust your activity level to something higher than it might account for longer trips to the store but as it is it's just part of living.
  • BuManCuzBrah
    Options
    Ive worn my HRM while grocery shopping. Nothing wrong with that. A calorie burned is a calorie burned.
    11/05 am (grocery shopping)
    Total Time - 40 min
    In Zone - 0 min
    Avg HR - 97 bpm
    Peak HR - 110 bpm
    Calories Burned - 425

Im going to wear my HRM for a whole day just to se what amounts of calories I burn on a normal non workout day.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    glad this topic was picked up again, it is informative-- I log the shopping walking because that is definitely not an everyday activity for me.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Ive worn my HRM while grocery shopping. Nothing wrong with that. A calorie burned is a calorie burned.
    11/05 am (grocery shopping)
    Total Time - 40 min
    In Zone - 0 min
    Avg HR - 97 bpm
    Peak HR - 110 bpm
    Calories Burned - 425

Im going to wear my HRM for a whole day just to se what amounts of calories I burn on a normal non workout day.

That's totally inaccurate. The algorithms for a HRM are set for steady state cardio. They give grossly exaggerated numbers if you use them otherwise as you can see from your shopping trip. Unless you're maintaining a HR over approximately 120 for an extended period of time you aren't getting a correct reading. Wearing it all day will give you a totally useless number which would result in a definite weight gain if you ate that.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Have a look at it another way. Do slim, fit, healthy people think about calories they are burning whilst shopping or driving or cleaning the house? No.

I do. (Well, except the driving thing...because that's ridiculous.)
    And do you want to be a slim, fit and healthy person?

I am.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well, I didn't log the time I pushed 960 pounds of concrete around Lowe's so I definitely don't count grocery shopping. Anything that I already did regularly while I was gaining weight, I do not count as exercise. You're overthinking this.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Well at my grocery store there are often free samples. So they probably cancel each other out.
  • CassiLyn6626
    CassiLyn6626 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    75 minutes light walking
    15 minutes weight training

I think that would be a good estimate

Anywhere between 75-150 calories burned wouldn't seem that high.

I completely agree!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't include any form of house work etc. except raking leaves and other activities that are going to leave me sore.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    (I know it's necromanced, but I'll chime in anyhow...)

Get a fitbit. Sure, it won't be entirely accurate, but it will give you some credit for the additional activity.
    I agree.
  • freesia83
    freesia83 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I bought a pedometer and used it for the first time today, wore it to work, clocked up over 12,000 steps and covered just over 5 mile. Then took the dog out this afternoon and clocked in total 24287 steps and 11.4 mile, but I just logged the dog walk as work is what I do anyhow.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I don't get the mentality that every time you move it needs to be rewarded with extra calories so you can eat more. My thinking is that's the fast road to failure. Food is for sustenance and energy, it isn't a reward for going to the grocery store.

I realize food is delicious and it's great to eat things you really like but if you have to get down to rewarding yourself with food every time you do a daily household chore then you have a screwed up relationship with eating. I really doubt that anyone had gone into the dreaded starvation mode from not eating back the calories they might have burnt on a trip to the grocery store.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I don't get the mentality that every time you move it needs to be rewarded with extra calories so you can eat more. My thinking is that's the fast road to failure. Food is for sustenance and energy, it isn't a reward for going to the grocery store.

I realize food is delicious and it's great to eat things you really like but if you have to get down to rewarding yourself with food every time you do a daily household chore then you have a screwed up relationship with eating. I really doubt that anyone had gone into the dreaded starvation mode from not eating back the calories they might have burnt on a trip to the grocery store.
    stop it with this common sense. You should know the forums aren't the place for it.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I usually log in the calories burned while walking to the grocery and back, considering that while being back I also carry the bags I think it burns a little more.

I also didn't set my activity level to lightly active, I actually put sedentary because going to the grocery isn't ordinary to me even though I do it often. Twice a week to me is not ordinary, and so isn't anything else, like cleaning, so if I do it for more than 10-20 minutes, I usually log it because everything counts. You can't really count on your activity level because it's not easy to decide if you're active or not.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't log it as it's part of your normal routine. I don't log looking after my kids for example, and I'm always up doing something. I don't log going to work, although as a teacher I'm on my feet all day, walking between classrooms, walking round the class, doing a half hour duty break duty outside etc. I probably burn a fair few calories at work.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

stop it with this common sense.You should know the forums aren't the place for it.

Actually, when you are sedentary and just starting out that is a legitimate way to get started. You set your thing to sedentary and no workouts because you can't count on them. If you truly are sedentary due to illness, injury, or whatnot. Then you HAVE to log any little activity because then you are not sedentary at that time and you have to eat those cals. I guess it's the difference between a mentality of "get to eat" those extra cals or "should eat" those extra cals earned through activity/exercise.

I saw a very fit abs having strong lifting young mom logging her grocery visits as exercise cals because they entailed her baby in a front carrier. so an obese person is carrying extra weight too, no?

anyways, i lost my first 25 lbs that way, so I think it's legit.

ETA: I never found myself on the treadmill or stairs chasing an imaginary waffle or whatnot to get through my workouts. This method does NOT lead to unhealthy relationships with food, necessarily.
  • TonyN7
    TonyN7 Posts: 14
    Options
    No. This should only be used if you are using your BMR in a custom setting to work out how many calories etc.. you can eat. Sedentary will have allowed for basic tasks that a sedentary lifestyle will include. Also you go for one big shop a month, so you will not be losing as many calories in the other 3 weeks where a weekly shopper would.

If I am out in the garden digging up trees for 4 hours I would put this down as 4 hours of gardening, and include long walks and proper exercise. I cannot say I have even thought about adding shopping as an exercise.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    No. This should only be used if you are using your BMR in a custom setting to work out how many calories etc.. you can eat. Sedentary will have allowed for basic tasks that a sedentary lifestyle will include. Also you go for one big shop a month, so you will not be losing as many calories in the other 3 weeks where a weekly shopper would.

If I am out in the garden digging up trees for 4 hours I would put this down as 4 hours of gardening, and include long walks and proper exercise. I cannot say I have even thought about adding shopping as an exercise.

One of us doesn't understand what is included in the "sedentary" setting.

(...and it may be me.)

On a somewhat related point, despite working in an office setting, I had to set mine to "active" to match my results (and sometimes the math points to "very active")...AND I still log my extra activity (where I let fitbit handle what constitutes extra).

So my vote is to take a position on it, log consistently and accurately for a period of time, and then make adjustments as necessary based on results. That's how I ended up at "active"...I didn't start there, but as I experienced certain results over time, I determined what changes need to be done. Every individual has to go through this process to determine what fits their individual circumstances and logging habits.
  • Katsumii
    Options
    I don't think so, regular activity like that is already part of your TDEE.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I don't get the mentality that every time you move it needs to be rewarded with extra calories so you can eat more.

That's one of the biggest reasons for stalls around here. Coupled with people's general refusal to realize that things like walking burn SFA in terms of net calories, it's an accident waiting to happen.