Curiosity - What was your wake up call?

Replies

• SuperMoniMonk
    SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
    *My knees would hurt whenever I walked up stairs.

*My jeans didn't fit me anymore and I refused to buy a bigger size, I was a 17/18

* I knew I needed help from myself so I prayed and sincerely ask God to help me - Prayer answered :happy:

*Got tired of the junk food, had it so often that it wasn'tt even tasty anymore,

* I decided at the start of the year that I would not eat frozen or fast foods anymore, instead eat food that was stil alive ..like a fresh salad =)

Began killing all my pathetic excuses and began living eating and living better no matter what ! :smile:
  • MyouTakara
    MyouTakara Posts: 45
    My wake-up call was having a sore and swollen foot. Swollen feet is something that happens to old people, not young women in their twenties. It hurt to walk. My doctor told me I had to lose some weight and recommended MFP to me.

My big thing was changing my attitude about eating and exercise. Growing up, I was only allowed to choose what I ate at my grandmother's house, and she was an excellent cook. At home you ate what you were given, because you weren't leaving the table until you did. My dad's girlfriend was a crappy cook. Grandma encouraged me to stay inside where she could keep an eye on me and read. My dad's girlfriend forced me to go outside and play with her friend's kids, whom I despised. Choosing to eat what I wanted when I wanted and not exercise represented freedom to me. That was an attitude that had to change. Now, eating what I want in moderate portions and exercising for my health is freedom.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    the day I got engaged...I knew I didn't want to be "fat" for my wedding day. I said I was going to start but of course, didn't. The next day, my mom said to me, "now would be a good time to lose a little weight, you don't want to cry and be upset when you start dress shopping"...

Normally a comment like that would make me cry but I didn't and instead I was like, DAMN STRAIGHT! We were about to move so I never started until about the day befor new year's eve and something CLICKED.

Since then I've been exercising regularly and eating welll :) Hoping to hit the 150s by mid-September when I go wedding dress shopping!
  • jjgirl76
    jjgirl76 Posts: 68 Member
    As much as I like shoes. I am sick of going shopping and only the shoes and earrings fit. I want cute clothes, too. I had fought very hard to lose the 20 lbs I have gained in the last year. I am not at my highest, but I weighed in on Monday at exactly the same weight as the day of my divorce. No, I'm NOT going there again.

It helps me to plan my day. Most all of my food and exercise are added by 10am. This allows me to crush any cravings, my mind already knows what is allowed.
  • jjgirl76
    jjgirl76 Posts: 68 Member
    As much as I like shoes. I am sick of going shopping and only the shoes and earrings fit. I want cute clothes, too. I had fought very hard to lose the 20 lbs I have gained in the last year. I am not at my highest, but I weighed in on Monday at exactly the same weight as the day of my divorce. No, I'm NOT going there again.

It helps me to plan my day. Most all of my food and exercise are added by 10am. This allows me to crush any cravings, my mind already knows what is allowed.
  • ziathediva
    ziathediva Posts: 12
    My wake up call was going to the doctors for my serious bad head aches. My doctor thought my headaches could be due to depression because of my weight. He asked me my weight and I was nervous about telling him. He wanted me to go for a MRI to make sure nothing was wrong but he wad unsure if I could fit. I was so upset and angry with myself for letting myself getting so big. He sent me downstairs to see if I could fit into the machine, but I never went. I was too upset.

Before I left, he told me I should go for gastric bypass and pressured me into doing it. I understand why, but I felt like he was forcing me. I did go for all my testing for it and four days before sugar day I canceled because I feel like I could do it myself.
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    So many people have so many reasons but I really have no idea what mine was.

I suppose I say ever year that I wanted to make a resolution and keep to it and this year was simply get fit and don't drink fizzy drinks.

Once I'd spent about a month in bed from getting the flu and then a really bad cold a week after (could i be any unluckier?) i found this site via a community i am joined to on livejournal.

i followed my no fizzy drinks one so well that now i can't even drink one without being sick - and my fitness one? well i'm fitter now than i have been in years but i need to do more.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Going to Dollywood with the family and BARELY being able to fit on a coaster. Like, held up the line trying to get the lap bar down enough but eventually got it. That was a huge blow. I was afraid to try any of the other rides the rest of the day for fear of embarrassment.

Then seeing pics of myself. When i looked in the mirror I didn't see myself the way I did in photos. I was disgusted with myself.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    The real wake-up call was when I was in college and saw a photo of myself at my highest weight (I dunno, gonna guess 175) and looking like a beached whale. I was pretty made at myself for letting my looks go like that in a very short time (1 year).
  • scarletfever2005
    scarletfever2005 Posts: 141 Member
    I was peeing all the time and thirsty constantly. Went to the doc who told me I was diabetic. He said it was a warning sign from my body that I was killing myself. And that it wasn't the first sign it was just the loudest so far.

I didn't want to die, I didn't want to go blind, or lose my legs, or end up rolling around in a jazzy chair with pressure socks on so I decided that I'd get healthy and and stay that way. So far so good!
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    For me it was my boyfriends family going on and on about how awesome this picture of all of us kids was. And how Mom was going to have copies made and give one to everybody to frame etc. It was a great picture but then when I saw me in it I was so horrified and embarrassed. I looked huge. And then they all said "I looked great ". That means that must be how I look all the time.
    I still get sick to my stomach when I think of that picture. I hate it. I wanted to burn it.

My motivation was similar. I saw a pic that was on facebook and everyone commented on how good I looked and I looked TERRIBLE. (Its in my profile here on mfp) and I thought if they think I look good I must usually look worse than that. I was horrified. Plus my baby was 5 months and I was still in my maternity clothes.
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    For me, it was a few different things. I am only 22 and going up a flight of stairs would just practically take all the breath out of me; I hated looking in the mirror and always feeling uncomfortable in my clothes; and when the scales hit 187 and I realized I was only 13 lbs from 200 lbs, I knew I had to do something. I had piled on 40 lbs in about a year and I couldn’t take it anymore. I found MyFitnessPal and have been dedicated ever since!
  • Lunachic77
    Lunachic77 Posts: 434 Member
    -Wearing sweat pants all the time to hide my muffin top

-Hating how I had become to loathe anything sport/exercise related...being so LAZY

-Husband not looking at me the way he used to

-Not recognizing the person staring back at me in the mirror

-Never wanting to go anywhere because then i would be "seen"

-Eating more than most of the men I know
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    My wake up call was when I couldn't fit a extra large shirt and the next size up was in the misses section. :(
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Going up to 144lb - the heaviest I had ever been, and my (UK) Size 12 clothes getting tight- I bought a couple of tops in a 14 and then realised what I was doing. I was not going to sit back and accept that was what I was going to be so I decided to change things.
  • zendarah
    zendarah Posts: 91 Member
    What a great question. For me, I've been pretending to want to lose weight for a while, but it was only last week that I kicked my butt into gear.

- Holiday photo's where I thought i looked good, but didn't :(
    - Comparing those holiday photos to old photos
    - Being embarrassed about my weight infront of my husband, and it affecting our relationship :(
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    just seeing photos and thinking i looked a bit blobby with a double chin, and being a size bigger than i was the year before.
    I wasnt particularly fat, and still was at a healthy weight, but i decided to try and trim down a few pounds
  • heatherutopia
    heatherutopia Posts: 78 Member
    Awh guys, these are all such moments of realisation! Congratulations to everyone who has decided to change their lifestyle for the better, I think you are all amazing!

We can all do this together :):)
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    I signed up for a hike that included a lot of "obstacle course" elements earlier this year, and while I finished the hike (and was proud of myself for doing it! I usually HATE obstacle course type things), I did NOT want my picture taken to document it. I really felt like I was holding myself back. The number on the scale didn't help either - breaking 200 for the first time made me cry.
  • There are two instances that come to mind that have finally opened my eyes to my weight problem. Number 1 was when I was flying home from my Honeymoon with my husband trying to get the seat belt on and the Flight Attendant asked if I wanted the seat belt extender I was mortified and embarrassed beyond belief. Second was when I applied for Life Insurance and was denied because of my weight being a risk factor again I was embarrassed and 3 weeks later starting a new chapter in my life.