Curiosity - What was your wake up call?

Options

Replies

• lornathewizzard
    lornathewizzard Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    The day I went to the nurse for my contraceptive pill and she refused to give me it due to my weight. The important thing was that she was nice about it, encouraging and supportive.
    Yes, I came home and cried, but here I am a year and 8 months later and 55 lbs down. I've never felt better about myself. Another 15 or so lbs and I think I'll be content.

My tip - listen to those around you when they are telling you you're doing well. Whether it be a loved one or a passing comment by a friend, they wouldn't be saying it if they didn't think it was true.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I was just tired of seeing the fat girl in the mirror. Somehow she had taken over...not any more though! :)
  • dumb_blonde
    Options
    My moment was in the changing rooms of Gap, trying on a pair of jeans (nothing like shopping for jeans to make you suicidal!) I tried to put on my usual size and stood no chance... couldn't even zip them and had a terrible "muffin top" going on. From then on I realised something HAD to change if I was going to get back into those skinnies!
  • bettyboopo
    bettyboopo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Mine was a photograph from the royal wedding, my cousin had a garden party and took a few snaps. I looked at them again recently and realized how much i'd let myself go. I told myself i needed to change while i'm still young!
  • TheShelterCat
    Options
    So embarrassing but I was asked if I was pregnant by 2 different people. It was then that I had realized I had really just let myself go and was in a downward spiral.
  • FattyWantADoughnut
    Options
    For me it was a lot of things.

I hate the way I look and feel. I feel so unwell, since I've gained 100 lbs I have been sick way more often, my feet hurt when I wake up in the morning, my thighs rub together uncomfortably, and it feels like the fat on my neck is suffocating me. I was never comfortable even just sitting. I was never leaving my house because I didn't want anyone to see me. I realized that it is rare that I am ever in any photos with my kids and that is so messed up. I can't run around on the playground with my kids the way I used to. My clothes never fit right and it's a burden having to keep buying bigger sizes, I have a closet full of tiny clothes that I'd never get to wear again unless I change right now.

All of those things have been weighing on me for a long time, but the turning point (or rock bottom, whatever) was when I postponed visiting family because I couldn't bear to let them see me this way.
  • rnstolz17
    rnstolz17 Posts: 13
    Options
    *Gained back 40 of the 50 lbs I had already lost
    *All my "cute" clothes were too small and my "fat" clothes were starting to get too tight again
    *Heartburn on a daily basis
    *Starting to look about 6-7 months pregnant
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    For me it was a year after my 3rd child. I realized it had been a year and I still couldn't wear my wedding band. I lost half before getting pregnant again. I swore after my 4th I wasn't getting my ring re-sized I was going to re-size myself.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Just my clothes... I'm back in the biggest size I own and even those are tight. I'm very "out of shape" as well... winded no matter what minimal activity I do. I don't want to keep buying clothes to accomodate my size - I'd rather lose and try to chase my son without wanting to pass out :)
  • Allyc804
    Allyc804 Posts: 54
    Options
    Seeing a photo of myself this past weekend and wondering who that person was. I am at the heaviest I have ever been and am concerned about my health and happiness.
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I guess it was getting engaged. I have always wanted to lose weight but never really wanted to put the time in. Suddenly my engagement was looming and I realized that i didn't want to be a fat bride... so I started to do something about it. There are 444 days until I get married. That is more than enough time to achieve what I want to achieve.
  • shelly650
    shelly650 Posts: 319
    Options
    Mine was definitely when I happened to fill in my information on an online BMI calculator and it told me I was "obese"
    Now thats not really cool at 16 years of age, is it? So after my 17th birthday (in February 2011), I said enough was enough! My grad/prom is in August and I said I wanted to be a dress size smaller come that and well I am! Grad is in 2 weeks and my dress is being taken in at my local dressmakers!!

And also the fact that I was sick of not fitting into ANY nice clothes!!
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Passing the 200 pound mark and getting winded just doing basic activities. The final straw was having to have Open Heart to repair a mitral valve. Although not weight, cholesterol or nay other heart related disease, it was the final straw that made me do what I needed to do to get back in shape.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I was at 124 pounds and was visiting my school clinic, "your blood pressure is a bit high...." I was sweating and the nurse retook it, "Oh, now its fine." I was scared though, because I had never weighed more than 105 pounds most of my life :/ I looked up my weight online and found out I was considered overweight and then I broke up with my boyfriend of 2.5 years and found out I was studying abroad next year -- I studied abroad in high school, and it was an amazing experience. I don't want to have to worry about my weight while there. :smile:
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    Whipping out my Summer clothes only to find that they were too tight.
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    There was many things....I hated what I saw when I looked into the mirror.....short of breath and starting to wheeze when I was walking on the walkway from the parking garage.....hating to have my picture taken...and the drab, shapeless clothing. I hated clothes shopping. I was also tired of looking older than my age.

Pam
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    When I gained 15 lbs in one quarter (about 13 weeks) of school.
  • sahalcomb
    sahalcomb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    A friend told me about this site, so I checked it out. This prompted me to weigh myself (which I hadn't done in 6+ months) & then to plug in my new found weight to the BMI calculator....Wow, this really was a really BIG eye opener for me! I was obese, not just overweight! :noway: It was that very day that I joined & I've felt accomplished on many levels since! Yes!!! :drinker:

Some tips I use for myself... -log in everyday! (even if you aren't under goal) -exercise daily! (even if it's just something small) & -don't cheat! (you're only cheating yourself)! :wink:
  • AllieB
    AllieB Posts: 73
    Options
    The Mirror
  • Jessicapages
    Jessicapages Posts: 427
    Options
    I had just had our 3rd baby and I was walking in the mall and my legs were rubbing together.OMG I was grossed out!I made up my mind that I was going to lose the last 25 pounds.I ordered Turbo Fire that night!I still have 5-7 pounds to lose but my legs don't rub together anymore!!!