Is there anything that makes cottage cheese taste better.

Options
13»

Replies

• lre224
    lre224 Posts: 83
    Options
    You can also try adding about 1 teaspoon of sugar-free maple syrup (works well for plain, unflavored yogurt also). Since 1/4 cup only has 30 calories in it, there is hardly any in 1 teaspoon.
  • jipper44
    jipper44 Posts: 111
    Options
    I say keep away from the low fat variety- its yucky, but the full fat, for a an extra 30 cals maybe, is super creamy! I sometimes use the low cal version in cooking, such as instead of a white sauce in a lasagna!

Agreed...the low fat is AWFUL! I thought I hated cottage cheese too until I tried the 4% milkfat variety, now I'm addicted. Okay, yes, it is higher in fat than the fat free alternatives but I looked at it compared to regular cheese (which I love) and per serving it has half the fat and twice the protein. I'll take that tradeoff anyday!
  • sykin
    sykin Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Salt & Pepper for the healthy alternative if you feel you must eat it. But if you're not worried about carb intake, I LOVE eating it with RITZ crackers. Then again, it's the salty, buttery taste of the crackers and the crunch that I love the most :)
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Doritos!!! In moderation of course...
  • twells428
    twells428 Posts: 1
    Options
    I do half cottage cheese and half dannon light and fit vanilla yogurt with raspberries and blueberries.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I tried to get on the cottage cheese bandwagon. Tried mixing it with fruit.. it was ooookay. Tried the salty approach and put it on crackers... it was oookay. Honestly, I was gagging in between bites. If you have to force yourself to eat something, you should just move on! haha I know I wanted to like it because it is high in protein and as a vegetarian I like to get my protein from a variety of sources. The only way I actually like cottage cheese is in spaghetti sauce... but only because it melts into the sauce and the texture is gone.

If you want to get the benefits of cottage cheese without the odd taste/texture, I would try greek yogurt! It's smooth (no clumpies) and a little bitter/sour but you can sweeten it up by adding frozen fruit to it or putting it in your shakes. I find it much better than cottage cheese!