Healthy Dinners on a budget?

Options
casirdms
casirdms Posts: 145 Member
Since having my latest child, I'm really having to learn how to budget my grocery spending more. Hard to do, especially since all "healthy" options are so expensive.

Any ideas for more healthy dinners to fix for the family on a budget?

Replies

• onehecticmom
    onehecticmom Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    looking for the answers as well. It is cheaper to eat unhealthy. Spaghetti, hamburger helper, chili. These are super cheap meals to feed my bunch of 5. Adding fresh fruits & veggies increases the bill.
  • kaitlynnesmommy
    kaitlynnesmommy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I love this topic....I need all the help I can get with it!
  • Millie77
    Millie77 Posts: 39
    Options
    Bump! I need to know some ideas too.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    A lot of it has to do with where you shop. We have Sprouts out here and their fresh fruits and veggies are as inexpensive as it gets. I also keep my eye on the grocery circulars. We often have boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $1.99 a pound around here. You can also get whoe grain pastas on sale for a buck a box.

It takes a little more effort, but I don't see any difference pricewise between buying fresh and buying processed junk.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Everything I make is on a budget. I stock up on meat (chicken, turkey, pork chops, lean ground beef) when it is on sale, portion it out and freeze it in meal-sized portions. I also stock up on bread and cheese in this fashion. I believe whole heartedly in buying in bulk! :happy:

Buying produce that is in season, or even better at a farmer's market, will save you TONS of money. Fresh, in-season produce is readily available and always cheaper or on sale because stores can't get rid of it fast enough.

You don't have to spend a fortune to make good food. Google Cooking Light magazine for some really awesome recipes and alter it to fit what you have available and what you can afford. For example, tonight I am making my family (of 4) their Parmesan Polenta and Spicy Sausage meal (http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/parmesan-polenta-spicy-sausage-50400000111977/) and I spent $5 on the sausage (and there's more than I need in a package so I'll freeze what we don't use), $3 on the polenta, 68 cents on a can of no-salt-added tomatoes, and everything else was already in my pantry. So I'm feeding 4 people for about $9. Not bad!

Good luck to you! PS I have TONS of healthy recipes on my blog, if you ever need quick ideas. :happy:
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Buy frozen veg, a lot of the time it's put into freeze very quickly after harvest so it holds a lot more nutrients than the fresh stuff does. Also making up big batches of things then freezing them in postions is a great way to make sure you always have something healthy. Soup, spag bol, chilli (try using qorn mince with half normal mince to bulk it up and it's cheaper), make your own burgers, it's easy and at least you know what's going in them, meatloaf is a good one to freeze, i make them in a muffin tin, just enough.

A lot of the 'value' products over in the UK are very good if you're cooking them into something. Prepare your own salad rather than buying it bagged too.
  • tsaenz09
    tsaenz09 Posts: 30
    Options
    I made Honey chicken Stir-fry last week and it lasted for three days. I also like to make beef pasta, it too last awhile. Both of these are really inexpensive to make. If you would like to have the recipes let me and I'll inbox them to you!
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Frozen veg can be just as good as the fresh stuff so i always stock up on sweetcorn, peas, carrots etc and i tend to make rice dishes and sauces from scratch so i stock up on herbs and spices.

You cant go wrong with mince meat..you can make anythnig from chilli to spag bol or even a lasagne.

buy a whole chicken and roast it with veg and potatoes or buy lentils and make a filling soup with some fresh bread.

We eat on a budget as well especially since the price of food as gone up so i try and use all the left overs i can.

being healthy doesnt need to be expensive....a jacket potato with beans costs pennies and is very filling...but i agree fresh fruit and veg is what makes me go over on my budget.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Instead of cheaping out on food, I use couponing to pay for or drastically cut the cost of non-food items. I don't pay for toothpaste anymore, I've been paying $1 for bottles of Pantene, etc. Sometimes you can find coupons for healthy items. It's great when you do. (I like Couponing101.com) I also shop sales. I have a grocery store right across the street, and I get their weekly ad in my mailbox. Whatever is on sale that week that fits into my diet is pretty much what I'm eating. I look for these sales on produce, fish, pasta, and things like that. Another thing I keep intending to try is buying the veggies and making my own marinara. Anyways, a dollar here and there really starts to add up! :happy:
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    So much of this has to do with learning to shop the sales at your local stores. Buy produce in-season. Get meat in bulk and freeze it when you can. Most packaged items go on sale every 12 weeks, so if you're loyal to a certain brand, buy enough to last 3 months when it's at the best price. Frozen veggies are also a good item to stock up on.

Oh and shop farmer's markets and even consider looking into a local CSA farm.
    http://www.localharvest.org/csa/
  • TheMrsBee
    TheMrsBee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Bolognaise
    Lasagne
    Pasta Bake
    Stir Fry
    Mince with Worcester sauce and peppers and rice
    Sweet and Sour chicken
    Roast Dinner with a HUGE chicken and then use the left over chicken for stir fry's or sandwiches
    Pitta Bread Pizza's: Pre part cook the chicken with seasoning and onions if you like and then lightly toast the pitta's so they separate and spread some tomato purée on the pittas as a base, then add the chicken and any other toppings and then add mozzerella cheese and put in the oven till lightly browned and the cheese has melted
    Beans on toast with cheese
    Bake potatoes
    Bake some potatoes and then cut in half and scoop out all the potato and place in a bowl and mix with ham and cheese and then place back in the skins and sprinkle with cheese and place back in the oven till lightly browned

That's all i can think of right now. Hope it helps
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I have a grocery budget of $40 for a family of 4 and I don't buy hamburger helper or crap food. I seriously think that "crap is cheap" mantra is bologna. I shop only the outside of the grocery store, except for peanut butter, ketchup, mustard, mayo, beans, cereal (I'm addicted to Kashi products), and frozen fruits and veggies. I never go over budget, and I feed my 2 children a well-rounded breakfast, lunch, and dinner everyday. It all depends on how much time you're willing to spend on preparation. We never have anything extravagant... for dinner we have meat and veggies. For lunch we have a sandwich and fruit. For breakfast we usually have cereal and fruit. The big thing is that you CAN'T buy things like potato chips and hamburger helper because there's no room in the budget for it if you want to have the fruits and veggies.

A couple of things I do to help out the budget:

- I shop the sales. So, whatever fruit/veggie is on sale is what we get that week.
    - I only buy manager's special meat. It's close to store expiration, but it freezes fine if you're not cooking it right away.
    - I use coupons whenever I can, especially on the non-grocery items like toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc.
    - I buy most of my non-grocery items at places like Dollar General with a coupon because it's much cheaper that way. I also watch the Rite Aid and Walgreens sales to see if I can get those types of things even cheaper. The last bottle of body wash I bought cost $1!
    - I go to the day-old-bread-store for our bread products. I can get a loaf of Aunt Millie's Lite WG bread for $.68 (versus almost $3 in the store).

Sometimes it takes a bit of planning, and sometimes I don't get EVERYTHING on my list, but I get enough for us to get through the week. Oh, and I always take cash and leave my credit cards/checkbook at home to prevent me from going over budget. I use a calculator when I go through the store so I know when to stop. It takes dedication, but it is possible! :) Good luck!
  • jcannon15
    jcannon15 Posts: 148
    Options
    Ways i cut down on spending while still eating healthy are as follows:

Buy grains in bulk ( if kept in the freezer they can last up to a year)

Farmers markets and flea markets have great produce for much cheaper

Cut out meat once or twice a week and replace protein with other froms of cheaper protein (beans, eggs, ect)

I dont kno if this will fly with a family since im only one person i eat the same thing until the ingredients are gone, So if i buy things for black bean tacos i have that until im out of the ingredients. This way im not buying a bunch of different things and having a ton of left overs that will spoil.

Also i bought a bread machine and make my own bread.

Hope this helps :)
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Bump love this topic!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I never understand when people say it's cheaper to eat unhealthy than healthy. Sure there are some unhealthy foods that are cheaper, but there are also many healthy food that are cheaper. Brown rice is cheap. You can get a large bag for just a couple of bucks and since it triples in size when cooked, that is a lot of food for $2. The same is true of dried beans. And those are 2 of the healthiest foods you can eat.

Some tips for eating healthy on a budget:

Buy fresh vegetables in season because they are cheaper then. If you are unfamiliar with a vegetable on sale, look online for recipes.
    Don't make a weekly menu and then go to the store to buy items for it. Instead head to the store and see what lean meat and vegetables are on sale that week and build a menu around it.
    If fresh vegetables are too expensive, buy frozen or no salt added canned. Again, look for sales.
    Buy non-perishables (canned, frozen or dry foods) in bulk when there is a sale
    Stay away from pre-made meals or foods. These are generally not very healthy even if the label says they are and certainly not budget friendly.
    If possible, grow your own herbs and vegetables.
  • casirdms
    Options
    thanks for all the tips. I'm looking at salespapers right now and making lists..
  • casirdms
    Options
    I have a grocery budget of $40 for a family of 4 and I don't buy hamburger helper or crap food. I seriously think that "crap is cheap" mantra is bologna. I shop only the outside of the grocery store, except for peanut butter, ketchup, mustard, mayo, beans, cereal (I'm addicted to Kashi products), and frozen fruits and veggies. I never go over budget, and I feed my 2 children a well-rounded breakfast, lunch, and dinner everyday. It all depends on how much time you're willing to spend on preparation. We never have anything extravagant... for dinner we have meat and veggies. For lunch we have a sandwich and fruit. For breakfast we usually have cereal and fruit. The big thing is that you CAN'T buy things like potato chips and hamburger helper because there's no room in the budget for it if you want to have the fruits and veggies.

A couple of things I do to help out the budget:

- I shop the sales. So, whatever fruit/veggie is on sale is what we get that week.
    - I only buy manager's special meat. It's close to store expiration, but it freezes fine if you're not cooking it right away.
    - I use coupons whenever I can, especially on the non-grocery items like toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc.
    - I buy most of my non-grocery items at places like Dollar General with a coupon because it's much cheaper that way. I also watch the Rite Aid and Walgreens sales to see if I can get those types of things even cheaper. The last bottle of body wash I bought cost $1!
    - I go to the day-old-bread-store for our bread products. I can get a loaf of Aunt Millie's Lite WG bread for $.68 (versus almost $3 in the store).

Sometimes it takes a bit of planning, and sometimes I don't get EVERYTHING on my list, but I get enough for us to get through the week. Oh, and I always take cash and leave my credit cards/checkbook at home to prevent me from going over budget. I use a calculator when I go through the store so I know when to stop. It takes dedication, but it is possible! :) Good luck!

Wow $40/week is impressive for a family of 4! thanks for your tips
  • AuntNiecey
    AuntNiecey Posts: 26
    Options
    C R O C K P O T:heart:
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    cook dried beans in the crockpot-- super cheap, easy, and healthy. I usually soak a one lb bag overnight, cook in the crockpot all day one day with water and an onion and bayleaf. It makes like 12 cups of cooked beans..... Then I use them all week in dishes to bulk them out, to make hummus, with a vinagrette as a side salad, etc. I also add a bit of stuff to make quick baked beans (look up a baked beans recipe and make your own sauce).
    We eat tofu one night a week to save on meat money, buy cheaper cuts of meat and cook them in the crockpot.
    buy whole grains in bulk.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    bump