Healthy Dinners on a budget?

Options
2»

Replies

• KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Are you able to buy & cook in bulk?

I make a crock pot full of a meal on the weekend and then portion the left overs out to be eaten through out the week. (Frozen or from the fridge depending on the meal)

As for buying bulk. If meat is part of your diet. Wait for sales and buy what you can afford and then individually wrap at home and put in the freezer. When you cook just take out what you need.

The trick here is to keep on top of the FIFO (First In First Out). If not things get lost in the freezer and you end up with waste.

Good Luck!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Are you able to buy & cook in bulk?

I make a crock pot full of a meal on the weekend and then portion the left overs out to be eaten through out the week. (Frozen or from the fridge depending on the meal)

As for buying bulk. If meat is part of your diet. Wait for sales and buy what you can afford and then individually wrap at home and put in the freezer. When you cook just take out what you need.

The trick here is to keep on top of the FIFO (First In First Out). If not things get lost in the freezer and you end up with waste.

Good Luck!
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • blondebaby9890
    Options
    Bump! As a student, this will come in useful! I'm so used to buying ready made meals, so easy just to chuck in the microwave after a long day...
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    Options
    I actually started doing quite a bit of shopping at the local asian grocer, the fresh foods are much cheaper there then they are at the Wegmans. But overall I've found buying fresh veggies and other foods I cook on my own to be cheaper in the long run, I eat out less and thus spend way less on food.

Good ideas for cheap meals that are healthy and go far:

Moroccan chick pea stew - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dave-lieberman/moroccan-spiced-chickpea-soup-recipe/index.html
    I modified this recipe a bit and use less oil and I use dried beans rather then canned, but it still very cheap and makes a large number of servings. I typically combine it with a bit of brown rice when I serve it.

Stir fry
    I usually grab squash, onions, snow peas, brocolini, mushrooms and some chicken for stir fry. You can also toss in some cabbage and any other veggies really, its quick, easy, and relatively cheap and will make several meals. I also tend to make my own sauces, my go to is a simple Miso Sauce of shiro miso paste, chicken or vegetable stock, rice vinegar and minced ginger. I tend to go with a smaller amount of meat and a ton of veggies when I do stir fry.

Catfish/Tilapia
    Catfish and tilapia are relatively cheap and quite healthy and there are tons of ways to make it that are healthy.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I have no money either, frozen veg is the answer. Cheap and masses of it. I am sure people will say its not the same, but its good enough :)
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    bump
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I made Honey chicken Stir-fry last week and it lasted for three days. I also like to make beef pasta, it too last awhile. Both of these are really inexpensive to make. If you would like to have the recipes let me and I'll inbox them to you!

Honey chicken stir-fry? Yum! Recipe please! :-)
  • mrshickey
    mrshickey Posts: 239
    Options
    SALES SALES SALES!!! Buy in bulk when special offers are on, I do this for food and toiletries. It may cost more at the time but the long term savings are great. Cook from scratch- i find its cheaper than ready meals etc. Buy frozen or tinned fruit and veg as well as fresh. Freeze left over food, if possible rather than throwing it away. dried herbs/seasonings last longer and can work out cheaper than fresh herbs so have a look around.

Hope that helps
  • mrshickey
    mrshickey Posts: 239
    Options
    I have no money either, frozen veg is the answer. Cheap and masses of it. I am sure people will say its not the same, but its good enough :)

Some say that frozen is better because it retains nutrients that would be loft if the veg was sitting on a shelf!! either way, veg is good fresh or frozen!
  • My600PdLife
    My600PdLife Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • txaggiekelly
    Options
    I came across an AWESOME website. She makes real food, but modifies them to be healthier.
    Tons and tons of recipes.

Gina's Skinny Taste
    www.skinnytaste.com
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Everyone is right on with their suggestions! I make as much from scratch as possible too. Another couple items you might want to look into are: lentils, tofu and qionia (I know that's not right but someone please correct me!) on the phone and can't remember the right name now.
    Eating healthy on a budget doesn't have to be hard at all! I find it a little tough if you are doing low carb because brown rice, beans and pasta or grains help stretch a meal cheaply and easily. But buy one sale, freeze anything you can, buy frozen veggies (but check the ingredient list! Watch for hidden added sugar and salt).
    Soups are a great way to stretch a buck too! And can of "rotel" or italian stewed tomatoes, any leftover chicken, a bag of mixed frozen veggies and some chicken stock (or even water) and it's a meal!
    Lean hamburger is great too! Don't knock it people, but be sure to make sure you are buying lean! Then meatballs (for spagetti or as a sandwhich), from stratch version of "hamburger helper" style dishes, meatloaft, hamburger steaks, salsbury steak are all easy and yummy. Taco salads are easy and cheap to make, especially if you use the left over beans to make your own refried beans! Iceberg lettuce is usually cheap and goes a long way.
    Avoid all the pre-packaged stung because you are paying for convinience. Buy in bulk and break it into single serving sizes as soon as you get home.
    Feel free to message if you need more ideas!
  • ajsruby
    ajsruby Posts: 1
    Options
    I find that fresh fruits and vegetables a REALLY cheap at my local Bulk Store (such as : Sam's Club & GFS).In fact I refuse to buy carrots or celery anywhere else because you get SO much more for you money. Buy the mixed salad bag and add a head of plain lettuce to it and have a side salad with every lunch and dinner,. You can also do this with fruit you can either buy the frozen mixed bag or have whatever is in season. Frozen veggies are cheaper at the local supermarket .. The key to saving more is spending more time going to different stores to buy things.