Early birds and morning workouts...need advice!

Options
13»

Replies

• Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I think it's definitely a habit you need to push yourself into.

I am an early bird by nature but it's because I love the morning air and the way everything is so quiet.

A good tip is that you put your alarm somewhere where you need to physically get up and move to put it out. Once your up - it's definitely easier to stay up rather than turning your alarm of straight away and debating getting up!
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I have been getting up at 5:45 and my husband at 4:45 since March 1. We both just do it. He rides his bike for about 10 miles and then when he gets home, I get out for a 2-3 mile walk. Now that we have been doing it for so long, it's easy and I really miss it when I miss a day.

And lately since we have so much more energy, we have been walking at night together with the kids (I have 1 year old twins and a 6 yo) in addition to our morning workout. We go after dinner and it's less strenuous, but it's nice.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I have more energy in the morning than after a long *kitten* day at the office.

I wake up at 4:50am and I'm at the gym by 5:15-5:20. I workout until 6:30, shower and get to work.

Sometimes I am VERY tired but I get out of bed anyways. Just need to stay motivated!
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I know it's really hard to believe, this news would probably kill my mother; but I'm up at 4:30am and wake up on the treadmill. And, surprisingly, I found a few things. Like, waking up during the warm up period, and then sweating before my morning shower, not only makes me more alert and mentally set in the morning, I find that I actually get things done in about half the normal time. I wind up with almost 15 minutes to spare before I have to leave, instead of the slow routine and leaving on time, I have 15 minutes to burn.

I'm wide awake at work, I get more done and am in a much better mood. I feel better and have a better attitude. I'm not as hungry as I normally am.

Like you, working out in the evening "amps" me up, too. I get wired and it takes at least 3 hours before I can settle down enough to sleep. So it's a morning treadmill, and maybe a leisurely walk, or mow the lawn in the evening.
  • Madrow
    Madrow Posts: 62
    Options
    I'm not a morning person either and I'm excited to try these tips:smile:
  • svanhoecke
    svanhoecke Posts: 266
    Options
    I work from 9-6 everyday and when I get home I eat a light dinner, and do whatever I need to do first. Then, and sometimes it isn't until 9pm, I work out. I work out, go to sleep, and wake up early just to shower and eat. Working out late isn't too bad, actually! I have lost 15 pounds this way...so it can't be too bad. Good luck! :)
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Put the alarm across the room or in the bathroom. You have to get up to turn it off. It's helped me. I don't do a heavy workout in am. Just 45-60 dog walk (plan to add jogging soon), but it certainly gets me going in the morning. And it has gotten easier. Knowing the dog needs her exercize also motivates me to get up and do it. I still do my heavy work out after work. I just can't seem to push myself as hard in the morning. This way though, I only have to do the gym a couple nights a week. Maybe you can do something like this. That way you don't have to get up quite so early and he can do dinner two nights a week.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I need this post. hahhaa I squeeze my workouts in while my daughters napping but most of the time, her naps are crappy 20-30minutes. I always say I'm going to go for a long walk that day but it's SO FUMING hot out lately that I don't get it done.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I need this post. hahhaa I squeeze my workouts in while my daughters napping but most of the time, her naps are crappy 20-30minutes. I always say I'm going to go for a long walk that day but it's SO FUMING hot out lately that I don't get it done.

Weird, I responded to this earlier and it disappeared. :huh:

I completely understand the heat! One of my derailments has been the 100+ days we have been having. I can not stand to go get all hot and sweaty then walk out into that heat.

A morning workout would solve that problem. What time does your daughter wake up? Is there a way you can work out before she wakes up?
  • scoops728
    scoops728 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you just have to do it! It's tough at first but it does get easier. I have a 9 month old at home and get up at 3:45 3-4 times a week. It is a killer, but if I went to the gym after work I would barely have anytime with him.

Get your workout out clothes ready the night before so all you have to do is get up, get dressed and go. And make sure your workout is something that you enjoy. If you don't enjoy it, it will just make it that much harder to get up. Once you start seeing results, you will always have the motivation to workout in the morning.

Good Luck!