Advice For New Runners

Options
I’m posting this top because I saw several people had questions about starting a running program so I thought I would provide some tips. This is a long post… hopefully this will provide the information new runners need.

First about me: I started running to lose weight. I was not a runner or particularly athletic in my younger years. I didn’t start running until I was 47 (I’m a late bloomer). I started slow with the C25K program and built my way up to 5Ks, 10Ks, half and full marathons. It’s great fun and my favorite are half marathons (13.1 miles). DISCLAIMER: I am not an expert and I don’t have initials after my last name. These are just my observations and suggestions from experience. ALWAYS check with your physician before starting any running program.

Your First Run:
For those thinking of running my advice is to start slow. I’ve started multiple beginner running programs and they lasted exactly one day! The reason is I started out too fast! I tried to do too much in the beginning. A good program to start with is the C25K program. It’s self-paced so just take your time and repeat any weeks you feel necessary. The main thing is you’ve taken the first step which is HUGE! Congratulate yourself!
There are tons of beginning running programs on the internet for those of you who do not want use the C25K program. Just remember to start slow and add no more than 10% mileage every week. Your legs and feet will thank you.

Resources:
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-520--2201-0,00.html – Runner’s World beginning running plan
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml - C25K plan
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-520--9397-1-1X5-2,00.html – Runner’s World 8 week training program for beginners

Rest and Recovery:
Rest is a very important component of your training. Rest does not mean you can stretch out on the sofa, it just means reduced activity. Rest days are key because they allow your body to recover and rejuvenate from running. Your body grows strong while resting.

Breathing:
I bet you are thinking “I already know how to breathe!” Day to day breathing is automatic but breathing while running can be complicated. When running your body requires more oxygen to move the muscles. The faster you run the more oxygen you need. The number one error most new runners make is going too fast. It will not work and you’ll hate running. So slow down and try to match your breathing with your strides. With an easy pace, breathe in for three or four steps and then breathe out for three or four steps. With faster tempos it’s one-two in, one-two out. Trying to breathe through your nose is like breathing through a straw so breathe through your mouth.

The Mental Game
The brain is a powerful tool. There is a saying “Running is 90% mental and the rest physical”. Imagine yourself as a runner. Don’t let negativity get you down. Don’t compare yourself to someone who runs faster or farther and never diminish your accomplishments!

Running shoes:
Beginners do not need expensive shoes for running, just a good running shoe. My first running shoe was Nike. I loved that old pair of shoes. Visit a running specialty store for a good pair of shoes. The attendant at the store will ask you questions like “Do you overpronate?”, “Do you need a stability shoe?”, etc. Don’t be intimidated or embarrassed. Tell them you are new and they will welcome you to the world of running with open arms! They will want to watch your feet while you walk and run to determine the best shoe. Just remember the shoe you purchase today may not be the same shoe you need six months from now after you’ve been running for a while. You’ll improve in running style and performance so another shoe may work better for you later. The correct shoe will enhance your natural stride and help prevent injuries. The wrong shoe can turn running into a routine of pain and recovery. You don’t want that.

Terminology for running shoes:
Pronation – The foot naturally rolls inward as you run. This is correct positioning of the foot.
Overpronation- The foot rolls inward too far as you run.
Supination – The foot does not roll inward enough as you run.
Oversupination – The foot rolls outward too much as you run.

Motion-control shoes are designed to prevent the foot from rolling inward. This is done by adding something in the sole of the shoe. This is mainly for people who overpronate.

Stability shoes have more cushion than motion control shoes and are designed to prevent excessive pronation. I personally use a stability shoe because I overpronate. It provide support for the inner part of the foot and for those who overpronate just a little too much.

I personally don’t like cushioned shoes. Even though they are the softest, they work best for those who have perfect running form.

When purchasing shoes don’t buy the where they ‘just fit’. The shoes should be a little bigger than regular shoes because your feet will swell when running. They should be ½ to 1 size larger than your dress shoes. Too tight shoes will cause blackened toenails and then the toenail will fall off. That is not a great look!

Running socks
Important! Important! Important! Please invest in a good pair of running socks. Don’t wear standard socks purchased at a discount store when running. Good quality running socks will prevent blisters and black toenails. You can purchase these at any specialty running store.

Running Clothes
Beginners can basically run in anything that doesn’t rub – sweat pants, over-sized t-shirts, etc. Eventually you’ll want to buy some real running clothes. Perfect weather for running almost NEVER happens and that is where high-quality running clothes helps.

During the hot season, a lightweight shirt made of something like Dri-F.I.T. or CoolMax will draw the water away from your skin to help keep you cool. For cool weather there’s CoolMax, Dryline, and Dri-F.I.T to pull the sweat away from your body. Dress in lightweight layers to help draw the moisture away from the body.

Remember, regardless of the outside temperatures your body will heat up during your runs.

Icky Side Effects of Running:

Pit Stops #1 – Leaky bladders when running are most common in women. To help combat this try some Kegal exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles.

Pit Stops #2 – Running stimulates the intestinal system so many runners get diarrhea or have the urge to defecate. Females have a higher risk of loose stools during exercise than men. To help combat this, try modifying your diet. Dietary triggers can be: fiber, sorbitol, coffee, tea, fatty and spicy foods, alcohol and high doses of Vitamin C. Dehydration also makes the problem worse. So make sure you drink plenty of water. If it really becomes a problem eat some corn before running and find out how long it takes for it to go through your system. If it takes just 2 hours then you know not to eat within 2 hours of your run. You can also eat foods which are naturally constipating like bananas, bagels, rice and oatmeal before your run. As your body gets use to exercise your intestines will go back to standard bowel movements.

Black Toe Nails – This is usually caused by too tight running shoes, running downhill or long-distance running. The constant rubbing against the shoe causes a blood blister to form under the nail. The toenail will appear blackened and then eventually fall off. To prevent this wear correct size shoes and keep your feet dry during long runs. It helps to wear proper running socks.

Runner’s Acne – These pimples commonly appear where clothing is covering the skin. To help combat this, shower immediately after running and avoid wearing makeup.

Itchy Legs – I use to suffer from intense itchy legs when I ran! This is normally caused by arteries and capillaries expanding while running. The problem will go away once you’ve increased your fitness level.

Bloody Nipples – Mainly men suffer from sore or bloody nipples and it can be extremely painful. This is caused by the constant rubbing against their shirt. To avoid this, coat the nipples in Vaseline or Body Glide. Band-aids and Nip Guards work well too. Wear clothes made of Dri-Fit (or something comparable) and never wear cotton clothes. Cotton causes chafing. Women, do not wear a cotton sports bra.

Uncomfortable Underwear - I once went to a running store and describe to the lady that I was having issues with my underwear when running. She advised me to go ‘au natural’! Well, once I picked my jaw up off the floor I realized many runners don’t wear underwear for that very reason. If that is not your thing, then purchase shorts with built-in underwear. Some runners will also wear spandex in place of underwear under their running shorts. It’s just a matter of personal preference. Just don’t wear lose fitting cotton underwear. You’ll regret it!

Monthly Cycles – Women, don’t be afraid to run during this time. Running can improve your mood and help alleviate symptoms.

Blood in Urine – Don’t panic. When you run the bladder can suffer minor injuries. If after 48 hours after your run you still have blood in your urine then seek the advice of a doctor.

Other Important Tidbits of Information:

DON’T COMPARE YOURSELF TO ANYONE! You are doing good. This is your journey. There will always be someone faster and run farther. You are the only important person.
In the beginning, avoid running too hard and too often.
REST!
Listen to your body. Aches and pains are your body’s way of alerting you that something is going on.
Stick to a schedule.
Place a copy of your running program on your fridge so you can see it every day.
NEVER DIMINISH YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS!

I know this was long. I hope this information is helpful and thank you for reading to the end.

Happy Running!

Replies

• binkybaby1
    binkybaby1 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    bump
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    FABULOUS post! Thank you so much ... I agree with 100% of what you talked about :)
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Stretch your shins and hip flexors AFTER EACH RUN! Read my sig for solid shin stretch!
  • healthysew
    healthysew Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    bump, thanks for the information!
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Great tips - thanks!
  • RippedNShredded
    Options
    walk before you run.

If you're a total noobie and have a hard time walking... walk for 2 mins take a rest, walk again for 2 mins. Build your endurance until you can go 5 mins, 10 mins so on. Small goals and build up on it. I'm training for a marthon and when i started I was out of breathe in 5 mins.
    I did the walk/jog program started with 1 min walk / 1 min jog, then 2 min walk / 1 min jog...

Running 12 miles this weekend for my long run :D
  • dointime
    dointime Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Awesome read, thanks for posting!!!
  • jschneider
    jschneider Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!! This is great advice...and i have experienced most of these issues
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    bump so I can find it later!
  • RippedNShredded
    Options
    btw a good book to read

STU MITTLEMAN - Slow burn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI2GCO5WbnA
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    thanx 4 that, i found it very helpfull, I am planning on starting the cool runnings c25k but havnt had time 2 start yet because of holidays and i dont wan2 start then stop for holidays but this is my last week in a while so either nxt wk or the week after im starting. ill def take ur advice, esp on the breathing, thanx again.x :bigsmile:
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Terrific post!
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Excellent post!!!

I was looking for some advice for beginning runners and I just found it. I just started up cycling in the Spring and was looking for something to do indoors on the treadmill when the weather was too hot or stormy. So I am going to start the C25K on the treadmill here in a few days.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Well summarized and great pointers!!!

Also compression shorts are a great alternative to underwear under your shorts. They keep everything in place and keep your legs from rubbing together and chaffing.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Some great tips, but a half marathon is 13.1 miles :-)
  • karrenbennett
    Options

Thanks for the correction! I was fighting with my dog when I wrote this! He was laying on my desk with his paws on my keyboard. It's a control battle we have every day and I'm on the losing end!
  • Chowder_17
    Chowder_17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Great advice! Thanks for the in-depth post!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options

Thanks for the correction! I was fighting with my dog when I wrote this! He was laying on my desk with his paws on my keyboard. It's a control battle we have every day and I'm on the losing end!

HA! HA! I have that same struggle with my cats.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Great post! And I can't stress the importance of wearing proper running socks enough. Cotton is a no-no, unless of course you actually like blisters.
  • karrenbennett
    Options
    Great post! And I can't stress the importance of wearing proper running socks enough. Cotton is a no-no, unless of course you actually like blisters.

When I started NO ONE told me about technical socks. I learned the hard way. The blisters took me out for about two weeks.
    Lesson learned via The School of Hard Knocks.