Advice For New Runners

Options

Replies

• mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this info. I have just started the C25k. I have never run before..but I hear it burns fat like no other. I do want to make it a habit..and think if I stick with the program..it will.

Again..thanks for taking the time to write this all down
  • liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    awesome! thank you for sharing!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Great post! And I can't stress the importance of wearing proper running socks enough. Cotton is a no-no, unless of course you actually like blisters.

When I started NO ONE told me about technical socks. I learned the hard way. The blisters took me out for about two weeks.
    Lesson learned via The School of Hard Knocks.

Hahaha, nobody told me either and like you I learned the hard way. I thought it was because of my running shoes that my feet were sore and tender and I would get blisters. I had no idea that my cotton socks were to blame. $10-15 for a pair of good running socks is worth it when you put in serious mileage.
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I just began running this week (C25K), and this helps a LOT. Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    Great information

Thank you :)
  • jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Great information! Thank you!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Nice write-up. I was thinking about writing something similar a few days ago, but looks like I won't need to.

You may want to post the link in your signature so it shows up under all of your posts and people can find it easier after it gets buried.
    Again, good job.
  • ladybug2020
    ladybug2020 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • makboo
    makboo Posts: 5
    Options
    What a great post that provides so many key details!! I wished I had this when I trained for my first half marathon years ago. I finally figured it out after finishing a full this year :)

For the shoes, when you go get fitted (do this!), you may end up getting shoes that are bigger than your normal size (e.g. I wear size 6 with most of my footwear. My running shoes are 7.5). That's normal.

For those who have started running the longer distances, I recommend doing leg curls and leg extensions. It will help you with endurance, I promise you!
  • jackiekayy
    Options
    thank you :] i enjoyed reading this
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Great post...thanks for taking the time!
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    VERY informative and helpful! Thank you for posting. :D
  • Pucker508
    Pucker508 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • bell33usx2
    bell33usx2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Printing for future reference. Thanks so much! :flowerforyou:
  • winneau
    winneau Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! :flowerforyou:
  • fitness63
    fitness63 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I want to read this later :)
  • trk24
    trk24 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this. I started running last summer and finished my first 5k. Then pulled my hamstring and it is incredible how much running ability you lose so quickly. I am back to running this summer and hoping to do that 5k again. Looks like I will be in the market for new running shoes and socks after reading this. I had no idea. I have also experienced some of the side affects you mentioned. Thanks again!
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • perceptualobfuscator
    perceptualobfuscator Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Great post!! I've recently started running again, so this is really helpful.

I did have one question, though. Anything about running while asthmatic/allergic? I'm on loads of meds and an inhaler, but I find myself getting out of breath and bright red in the face. It goes away for a while after I use my inhaler, but I'm still having problems. Is there anything specifically that would help?

Thanks!!
  • marissagianna
    Options
    Yes i must agree with you, really its work out..Thanks for the tips!