Replies

• cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Excellent! :drinker:
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Get on the soap box anytime you want !!! Very well thought out and a lot of excellant information. Thank-you for the rant!! :drinker:
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Good post. Great information...even for those of us who "know", it pays to be reminded. And by the way all you "smoke free" folks, congratulations! That is awesome. I've been smoke free for twelve years now...you CAN do this!
    Cowboy
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    ...even for those of us who "know", it pays to be reminded.

Thanks! A lot of times I rant because I need to remind myself too :)
  • psyknife
    Options
    arewethereyet - sure, anytime! I hope some of those work for you :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    arewethereyet - sure, anytime! I hope some of those work for you :)

I found some upper body pilates videos too. Really great stuff!
  • psyknife
    Options
    Pilates = Love :heart:

It seriously trains the core SO well, and hits it at all angles.
  • mellymlk
    mellymlk Posts: 187
    Options
    What a great post thank you! Most of it I already new but it was a nice reminder that I'm doing it right : )
  • mellymlk
    Options
    Oh I have a question! This hit me last night. I was so sore from my weights the last 2 nights that I didn't even want to imagine doing my cardio last night. But I did! I decided to swim laps.

What do I do when I'm super duper sore but need to get my cardio in?

When I'm doing weights should I do more weights less reps? Or more reps less weights?

• psyknife
    Options
    Oh I have a question! This hit me last night. I was so sore from my weights the last 2 nights that I didn't even want to imagine doing my cardio last night. But I did! I decided to swim laps.

When I'm doing weights should I do more weights less reps? Or more reps less weights?

What does your current schedule look like? How often do you lift weights? What exercises do you current do for lifting weights (and how heavy do you lift)???
  • psyknife
    Options

And also...

It's fine to do cardio if you are super duper sore... eventually you'll find your body adapting more so that soreness won't be as intense. If it's pain, however, then you'd need to back off (and possible see a doctor if you are worried about having done damage to the joint or have a muscle tear, etc.). It sounds like swimming was a good choice for you.

As for the weights... it depends on your goals.
    When you lift heavier and do less reps then your focus is more for gaining strength, whereas when you lift lifter with more reps then the focus is more on endurance. Both will sculpt the muscles, but it really depends on your individual goal. It's also said that lifting heavy builds more sizeable muscles (though still not bulky, just more well defined, I guess, in the ladies), whereas doing endurance style lifting makes the muscles more long and lean (i.e. gymnast-like). But again, there's mixed studies on both of these... I, personally, mix and match between lifting styles because I want both strength and endurance.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

OMG I bet that water felt GREAT with your muscles being sore...did it? I can only imagine...mine are screaming but I'll hit the meditative dance class, then the water and be good to go.:drinker:

Just need to keep drinkin drinkin drinkin that water to keep from getting muscle cramps...they suck big time!!:sad:
  • mellymlk
    Options

What does your current schedule look like? How often do you lift weights? What exercises do you current do for lifting weights (and how heavy do you lift)???

I do strength training for arms one day the next I do legs and the 3rd day I do cardio. Then I repeat.

I warn up on arms days for 15 minutes then for 45 minutes I do weights for all the muscles in my arms, back and chest.

Day 2
    Warm up
    weight machins for legs
    Stair steps while holding weights
    lunges with weigts in hand across gym
    and I put the yoga ball between my legs and do lifts

Day 3 Cardio
    I play racquetball
    or swim

All I do for an hour or hour and a half.
    My main goal right now is to lose weight. I am about 80 pounds overweight. Plus I would like to tone.

Thanks for your advice : )
  • mellymlk
    Options

OMG I bet that water felt GREAT with your muscles being sore...did it? I can only imagine...mine are screaming but I'll hit the meditative dance class, then the water and be good to go.:drinker:

Just need to keep drinkin drinkin drinkin that water to keep from getting muscle cramps...they suck big time!!:sad:

It felt awesome. It was a great choice : )
  • metalpalace
    Options
    Great post Melanie! I especially liked the part about women lifting weights. Thats sexy :smile:
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options

As for the weights... it depends on your goals.
    When you lift heavier and do less reps then your focus is more for gaining strength, whereas when you lift lifter with more reps then the focus is more on endurance. Both will sculpt the muscles, but it really depends on your individual goal. It's also said that lifting heavy builds more sizeable muscles (though still not bulky, just more well defined, I guess, in the ladies), whereas doing endurance style lifting makes the muscles more long and lean (i.e. gymnast-like). But again, there's mixed studies on both of these... I, personally, mix and match between lifting styles because I want both strength and endurance.

This sounds good to me. :bigsmile:

I just started focusing on the strength for me. I was doing endurance while I was trying to lose weight, but now that I'm at my weight goal, I am changing to emphasize gaining my strength back. My goal is to be able to do at least 10 body-weight pull-ups. I can do 2 now. I just started a new routine, and so far it's going pretty good.

SG :glasses:
  • psyknife
    Options
    melly - it sounds like you have a pretty good schedule going there. Do you take at least 1 rest day each week, though??? It's always good to take a rest day... or take one day per week to just do flexibility training. Muscles need to be stretched and rested in order for them to fully recover :)
  • psyknife
    Options
    SG - AWESOME! :flowerforyou:
  • psyknife
    Options
    Can I bump my own thread? :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Can I bump my own thread? :flowerforyou: