I can't stop eating, help me please!

Options
I just got home from a doctor's visit. It was my first time seeing this lady, and she was very, very rude. :angry: :mad: :explode: :grumble: :noway: :devil: She really hurt my feelings. I never thought I was an emotional eater, but I guess I am because I got home and ate 700 calories in one sitting. I was alright for about an hour and half, but now I swear I'm hungry again. I just ate another 120 calories, 40 more and I'll be over my goal of 1200. I can't stop eating though. Please, please, please help. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Replies

• Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    What did she say to you?
    Your not the first person I have heard complain about their doctor this week.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help but I eat when I'm tired, cold, pissed off at the world, bored and, occasionally, when I'm hungry!
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    What has helped me with my emotional eating is not buying the crap I love to eat. I've stopped buying soda, cookies, candies, cakes...ect. It helps me when I feel that urge to binge. If it's not here, I can't eat it, right? It has been a god send.
  • fldillon
    fldillon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with emotional eating as well. You need to get out of the house if you can't stop eating. Go for a walk or a drive. Get away from food until the urge to eat passes. Good luck!
  • gracelorence
    Options
    eat an apple if you must. if you're not hungry for an apple, then youre not hungry.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I just got home from a doctor's visit. It was my first time seeing this lady, and she was very, very rude. :angry: :mad: :explode: :grumble: :noway: :devil: She really hurt my feelings. I never thought I was an emotional eater, but I guess I am because I got home and ate 700 calories in one sitting. I was alright for about an hour and half, but now I swear I'm hungry again. I just ate another 120 calories, 40 more and I'll be over my goal of 1200. I can't stop eating though. Please, please, please help. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Step slowly away from the food, go to your sink, splash cold water on your face. Still hungry? Slap your face. Isn't that what they did long ago when we got hysterical?

Seriously though, emotional eating is my downfall too. Maybe try a walk, a swim, retail therapy?
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You've lost 136 pounds! Tell your Doc to stuff it!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    What happened that made you so emotional and caused you to eat? Sometimes identifiying why you're hurt can help you tackle the emotional eating.
  • DorGam
    DorGam Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Step away from the food! Back away from the kitchen! Take a walk. This way if you still feel like eating when you get back, you'll have more calories to spare! Hope you feel better a little later!:wink:
  • lewisv101
    lewisv101 Posts: 4
    Options
    Aww what happened!

How about you walk of some of that steam!!!!
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options
    Drink a glass of water. I heard that often times people confuse hunger for thirst.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk! Get out of the house where there is no temptation and have some one-on-one time with yourself to really put things in perspective.

Sometimes, we lose all control and lose sight of what's going on when we're stressed.. It's good to move yourself away from food during these times.

As for your doctor: If I was in that situation, I'd probably change to someone else. Rudeness is NOT therapeutic!

Take it easy.. One bad day won't ruin you, but it's always good to learn from things you're not happy with. Not happy about binging? Try to find ways to avoid it in the future (or lessen the damage -- obviously it's not that easy to just not do it).

Hang in there! :heart:
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I wish your diary was open I can give you suggestions. You are probably not getting enough fiber and protein. You can easily eat 700 calories and still not be full so don't feel bad. Before MFP I'm sure I was clearing 1200-1500 calories in just one meal of junk. Now that I'm eating healthy and drink water all day I easily get fuller on a lot less. You have done amazing losing over 100lbs!! Don't let the haters get you down! :flowerforyou:
  • hermione_ar
    hermione_ar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    That sucks! Even though it might be the last thing you feel like doing, go for a walk or do some other kind of exercise, take out your frustration and hurt by doing something physical. It'll feel better afterwards and will stop you eating. Housework can also work pretty well! Hope that helps.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    eat an apple if you must. if you're not hungry for an apple, then youre not hungry.

I going to remember that one. Thanks!
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Try drinking water and eating as many raw vegetables as you can get your hands on. Also, if you're trying to hold back tears or anything like that, maybe a little catharsis would do you good. AND finally when I'm upset I find that vigorous exercise is really helpful. If you have a treadmill or elliptical maybe 20 minutes of cardio would do you good.
  • Aloxander
    Aloxander Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    This is all MENTAL girl Take baby steps, find something else to do. Spend more time on MFP, read posts and success stories. Go for a walk, get away from everything. I've thrown a lot of food away this week. I feel bad about it because its a waste but it was bad for my kids.

You can do it! BELIEVE in yourself :flowerforyou:
  • ACook42
    ACook42 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Don't let her ruin everything you have been working for..... She is an idiot, what the hell is her problem.
    We all have to keep negative attitudes OUT of our lives while we make changes so I suggest you do not return to her.
    You have lost 136lbs....remember that, you are strong. You can handle this.
  • brianna626
    brianna626 Posts: 156
    Options

I like this, I think I need to carry an apple around and keep repeating that to myself when I want to eat junk!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    well .. you're not gonna like this.
    I'd say IF you know you have no self control & you're going to 'comfort' yourself with food - THROW OUT ALL THE CRAP FOOD

throw it away - donate it - get it out of your house/reach
    fill your fridge & pantry with healthy stuff AND snacks that way, when you DO binge, it won't be SO bad
    consult a therapist about emotional eating if it's really a problem for you however ... I have discovered that strenuous exercise is also a good way to work thru emotions AND you feel better afterwards

do you have a good friend you can talk to BEFORE you eat your feelings? if not, we are here for you - this place is FABULOUS

Don't let that mean ol' dr or one binge get you down.
    Feel better!