Foods you've grown up with, trying to give up

Options
Hey everyone!

I know we've all grown up with different foods, but I was interested in this. I was wondering if there were any foods that you've been raised on, and are now having a hard time giving up.

For me, it's white rice. Almost everything in Hawai'i is served with white rice. And salt. I never realized how salty our food cuisine is.

Replies

• PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Potatoes & Gravy - I LOVE them, but I have to limit them
    Also white bread - switching over to whole wheat & multigrain - but nothing tastes as good as a PB&J on white bread
  • Erykah3584
    Erykah3584 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Mexican rice!! And I make some really GOOD rice! But I noticed whenever I eat it I feel super bloated after! :sad:
  • leilani♥
    leilani♥ Posts: 579
    Options
    I had a hard time letting go of rice cause I grew up with it too being from Hawaii :P

I actually bought some Wild Rice and it's okay... Not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I limit myself to 1 scoop instead of 2. Sometimes I don't make rice at all and steam vegetables.

I miss the local grinds aaaargh!!!! Good thing there really isn't any here in AZ lol....

GL!
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize until I read your question that it has been over 4 months since I made gravy. It was my comfort food. I used to eat Sausage gravy over 4-5 pieces of white bread when I was upset. I used to eat this like 3 times a week!

Wow, can't say it was that hard to give up cause it took 4 months to notice.
  • xcbballuver
    xcbballuver Posts: 186
    Options
    white rice.. being azn i ate it everyday x_X
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Fishfingers, chicken nuggets, chips.
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I'm originally from the south, so it was hard to give up deep fried fish and chicken!!
  • dayglo4
    dayglo4 Posts: 18
    Options
    Perogies >_<
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    Rice - in particular, the Calrose medium grain white rice. I'm Japanese American.
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Grandma's style of cooking (I swear she was paula deens long lost sister) It was her pork and potato roast with gravy and her leftover stew (all the butter that is in all the other meals but all in one.) Grandpa hated vegetables so there was always a small salad somewhere and limit less amounts of soda and juices. I gained a lot of weight when I visited her house during the summers. Dont blame her for it one bit, I ate it and went for seconds and had no control of the soda a drank.
  • dez_yaoichan
    dez_yaoichan Posts: 454
    Options
    soda!!!! i would drink 3-5 cans a day as a kid! last year i was drinking a 2 litter a day!!! at work it's so hard not to just grab a sip of coke while i'm busy.

i have not had soda in almost 1 &1/2 months-- even with 1/2 a 2 litter sitting in my fridge, lol.

anthoer thing-- TACOS!!! my grandma is mexican so we ate tacos ALL the time. yum... i cooked some the other day after 5 months of not having any and was shocked at how many calories is came to!
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    bacon grease and spam....ya I am from the south.....momma put bacon grease in all the veggies, in our cream of wheat...everything.. and nothing tastes better than fried spam..... (ok confession I didnt give up spam--still eat it occasionally but i have cut back on putting bacon on EVERYTHING)
  • plv2010
    plv2010 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Totally understand spam. Spam is eaten a lot in Hawai'i as well.
  • FieryNikkie
    FieryNikkie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Having a big bowl of ice cream after dinner EVERY night. And having 3-4 servings at a time.

And macaroni and cheese. The gross in-a-box kraft stuff. I used to sit down for lunch and eat almost the entire box. I still love it but now I only have it once a month maybe and I make sure to measure out only one cup. And I stopped cutting up hotdogs and putting them in there too.
  • lishwa
    lishwa Posts: 1
    Options
    White Bread
    Kraft Dinner
    Chicken Nuggets (breaded, and uber processed)
    McDonalds/Wendys/Harveys (Not hard for me, but my parents keep bringing it home and expecting me to eat it)\

A lot of things. My parents have always been a fan of processed, quick and easy food and don't see anything wrong with it.
  • summerloud
    Options
    Whole milk, that's all my father would by us, and I can remember drinking almost a half gallon in two days, all the time. I've switched to Almond milk now and love it.
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    macaroni and cheese (the good, homemade kind)
    velveeta/rotel dip-i swore my mom invented this
    friend chicken tenders and french fries
    and soda also-my mom was a DDP freak, we never went without that lol
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Dairy! I'm trying to go vegan.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Mac & cheese and ramen noodles! I love my noodles. When I get a craving for noodles I get a lean cuisine, I know that they aren't very healthy, but they are a lot healthier that eating a box of mac & cheese or TWO packages of ramen noodles. :tongue:
  • sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    Loaded baked potatoes. And I mean LOADED.