30 Day Shred Newbies!

Options

Replies

• rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    How can I find out more about the 30 Day Shred? I am new to MyFitnessPal. I started yesterday. Thank you for your help.

Robby
  • lguy29
    lguy29 Posts: 131
    Options
    How can I find out more about the 30 Day Shred? I am new to MyFitnessPal. I started yesterday. Thank you for your help.

Robby

Hi Robby, and welcome! Looking through forums about 30DS may be helpful but sometimes its hard to find what you want to know. I'll try and give you what I know but I've only been doing it for 3 days!

So 30 Day Shred is a workout DVD with Jillian Michaels as the trainer. She works along with 2 other girls, one who does a modified version of the workouts, and one who does an intense "full" version of the workout. The modified version, for example, uses less range of motion, or makes difficult exercises more manageable.

The workouts themselves are 3 circuits. Each circuit contains 3 minutes of strength, which requires hand weights; 2 minutes of cardio; and 1 minute of abs, which requires a mat if you are working out on a hard surface. I workout on carpet and dont use a mat and I do just fine!

Within the DVD, there are 3 levels that you can complete. Each level gets progressively harder. The idea behind the levels is that the first 3 to 5 days will be difficult, and once you reach day 10 on each level you should be ready to upgrade to the next level.

Before each workout there is a warmup period, and after each workout there is a cool down period. These combined with the actual workouts account for only about 30 minutes. However, you get your heart rate going a break a sweat very quickly!

Hope this helps, let me know if I can answer any more questions!
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options
    I will be on Day4 today. I have been doing Level1 all this time. Started it with 2.5 lbs weight each and up my weights to 5lbs each last night. Yes my arms are a bit sore but tolerable. Thighs and calves were really sore yesterday but they are better now.

I already noticed something different the evening of Day2 in my stomach area.

I log 30DS as Circuit Training.

Welcome to MFP Robby.

Here is a link to know about 30Day shred with reviews:

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/jillian-michaels-30-day-shred-7963
  • tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I just started the 30 DS today and it really aggravated one of my knees that had a previous injury. Does anyone have advice as to if I should just push through it for a few days to see if it improves? It's mostly just in a few of the lunges.
  • ssc0303
    ssc0303 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just started the 30 DS today and it really aggravated one of my knees that had a previous injury. Does anyone have advice as to if I should just push through it for a few days to see if it improves? It's mostly just in a few of the lunges.

Try following Anita and not going as deep into the lunge! Take it easy and even rest if need be. As Jillian says "no injuries please!"
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I started today, so your post is bang on schedule for me, lol.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    L2 D3 for me! Plank moves definitely still kill my shoulders, Jillian just doesn't let them have a two second rest! So far I've dropped about 5 pounds, my body has finally broken it's plateau. I don't expect the current weight loss rate to continue, but it is moving the right direction!
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of buying this DVD after seeing peoples results on here.
    Aside from the Dvd what else do I need. I have some little weights I think they only go upto 3.0kgs

If you're going to workout on a hard surface, you will need a mat for abs and a few other exercises. I workout on carpet and that is just fine. Also, I don't know how strong you are with your arms, but I would say start with the 3kg weights and get heavier ones. I use 3lb weights and could probably be using more but I think I'm typically stronger in my arms from playing sports. Also, the thing thats great about this DVD is it does not require a lot of room and you don't need to keep your eyes on the screen at all times. Good luck with 30DS :)

Thanks for that :) I think I will pick it up as it is only £5 on Amazon. I have got a mat too so that will be cool I will have to take some picture for the results.
  • nicxox
    nicxox Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 2 of level 1, I started yesterday and got through the workout without much difficulty (apart from some of the crunches and push-ups which I have never been able to do...) woke up this morning and WOW, my shoulders and thighs were killing me! But I pushed myself through the 2nd workout and looking forward to tomorrow so I can do it all again! (I must be mad lol)

If anyone whos just started would like to add me as a friend it would be great to follow people who are going through the same punishment as me!)
  • prila13
    prila13 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    For those of you who might be like me... I'm on D4. It's still difficult for me. I'm thinking that I may not be able to move on to Lvl 2 on the 11th day so... I've decided to extend Lvl 1 to 15 days instead of 10. I'm a wimp, I guess. But, I think it will be better for me in the long run as I'm only 2 months out from my back injury. Has anyone else thought of this idea or any other alternatives for not feeling comfortable enough to move to the other level?
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was my 30th consecutive day and if you stick with it, you WILL see results. In fact, if you are doing modified moves at the beginning, by day 10 of each level, you will be surprised how many of the moves you are no longer doing modified and doing them well!

Note: from what I have read and my own personal results, the outcome is more of an 'inches lost" than "pounds lost" so DO NOT give up if you aren't seening numbers on the scale ... you ARE still going to see incredible results. In 30 days, I lost 8.25 inches, but only 4 lbs. Those inches are FAR more noticable than the 4 lbs :)
  • lguy29
    Options
    Today was D4 for me and I've been pushing myself through more than just 30DS with weight liftinf, kickboxing, and yoga classes. I have this really odd tight area on my hamstring and it makes lunges and side lunges a little painful. I woke up this morning and all day it has randomly been spazzing. I worked out tonight by jogging 2 miles at about a 14 minute pace :P then doing the elliptical for 30 minutes. I also rolled out hammies, quads, and IT bands on a foam roll tonight. I'm hoping this knot goes away so I can get back to it without discomfort! I'm also a little paranoid because the last time my hamstring was this tight I tore it during a sprint... gah!

Ive been seeing my endurance increase with cardio, abs are becoming easier, but not easy. Strength is about the same its been, but its because my body has been sore since day 1 and hasn't had recovery time yet. Hopefully tonight's cardio only workout (plus 30DS) will loosen me up and I'll be less sore tomorrow :))
  • Becca21
    Becca21 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Do You Do this 30days straight ive done 6 days of it but its took me over a week with the kids playing up.
  • lguy29
    Options
    Do You Do this 30days straight ive done 6 days of it but its took me over a week with the kids playing up.

Yes, it is designed to do for 30 straight days.
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options

Note: from what I have read and my own personal results, the outcome is more of an 'inches lost" than "pounds lost" so DO NOT give up if you aren't seening numbers on the scale ... you ARE still going to see incredible results. In 30 days, I lost 8.25 inches, but only 4 lbs. Those inches are FAR more noticable than the 4 lbs :)

Thank you for this. I haven't seen any change in my weight although I am on Day4 only. However, I did see a change in me. I haven't taken measurements just yet. But again I see that difference in me on the mirror. There is now a dip, a dimple (a good looking one) right under my ribs.

Again thank you for pointing this out. I am just going to stick through this.

I am also doing it slow. When a move or level is making me feel unchallenged, that's when I will move up to the next level or up my weights.
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I started 30DS on July 20th and its definitely been a workout for me. I too have a hard time with the pushups and sweat from beginning to end. I'm going to keep at it and pray for awesome results like everyone else has.
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I've thought about it, but because I've only done 4 days so far, I don't really know what my body may be able to do 6 days from now. I will consider it again around my 8th or 9th day.
    For those of you who might be like me... I'm on D4. It's still difficult for me. I'm thinking that I may not be able to move on to Lvl 2 on the 11th day so... I've decided to extend Lvl 1 to 15 days instead of 10. I'm a wimp, I guess. But, I think it will be better for me in the long run as I'm only 2 months out from my back injury. Has anyone else thought of this idea or any other alternatives for not feeling comfortable enough to move to the other level?
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Survived day 2. I have to modify the press ups and cannot keep up with the butt kicks at all and my quads are really stiff now. Will be up at 6:15am tomorrow to do day 3. No excuses.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was my 30th consecutive day and if you stick with it, you WILL see results. In fact, if you are doing modified moves at the beginning, by day 10 of each level, you will be surprised how many of the moves you are no longer doing modified and doing them well!

I am a 'graduate' of the 30 Day Shred too and I did not have a significant increase in the RATE of my weight loss BUT my entire body is completely different now and I have NEVER looked this good!!

I can't wait to see how I'll look after I lose the rest of my weight and after doing more Jillian Michaels DVDs!!

My "note" would be this: I did the entire series with the modified versions of the moves and will continue to do so in the future. I do NOT want to subject my knees to high impact moves so I don't do ANY jumps. Instead, I'll march or imitate the move in a low impact way.
    I am doing Ripped in 30 and will also do the modified versions. (Jillian tells you that she has 300 and 400 pound people doing jumps, etc~ well this 193 pounder ain't taking a chance and that's that)

Have fun with it and hang in there~ it is SOOOO worth it!!
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Made it through day 3. Quads were stiff and uncomfortable all day yesterday and it seems today is going to be more of the same. Lost 0.25lb since Friday and will be doing a full set of measurements to compare to 2 weeks ago so I will see if there is any inch loss. That would be great as I don't think my jeans can take the stress much longer.