Successful MFPals-what's your BEST advice for newbies?

Options
CoryIda
CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
Now that I'm almost at my 100-pound weightloss goal, I get a LOT of messages from people asking "How did you do it?" and I love answering, but I recognize that what works for me won't always work for other people. That being said, there are some basics that I think are really good things to work on.

Here are a few things that I've found helped me, especially in the beginning:

1) Find an exercise that you actually enjoy. Even if it doesn't give you the biggest calorie burn, moving your body makes you healthier and you are less likely to make excuses to skip exercise if it is something you actually enjoy doing (like taking the dog for a walk or going for a swim or dancing or something like that). Once you are in the HABIT of exercising regularly, you can always add new things and may be surprised to find that you enjoy things you didn't expect to like. I know that I have always hated dancing because I'm not good at it but Zumba is my favorite activity by far now - I might even choose it over reading a book, which is a BIG deal for a bookworm like me!

2) Get rid of temptation. If you can't resist a bag of chips in your pantry, make sure you don't keep chips in your pantry. Dump the junk and restock with healthy, nutritious foods so that, when the munchies strike, you only have healthy options to choose from.

3) If it is too overwhelming to make a complete 180 from eating junk and chugging soda and being a couch potato to being active and healthy, then start with ONE habit. Focus on, for instance, developing the habit of drinking lots of water. Once you have mastered that, add another healthy habit, like eating veggies every day. Once that has become a habit, work on something else. Each new habit you develop is getting you closer to good health and eventually you will have an overall healthy lifestyle.

4) Find out what works for YOUR body. I tell people that I eat about 50% carbs, 25% protein, and 25% fat, but that doesn't work for everyone. If you can, consult with your doctor and/or a nutritionist; otherwise, experiment and see how your body responds to different ratios.

5) TAKE YOUR MEASUREMENTS! Sometimes, the scale may not show much of a change, but your body may be changing anyway. Take your measurements regularly (I would say once a month or so) and you may be shedding inches and gaining muscle, which the scale might not reflect.

6) Focus on getting healthy FIRST and losing weight SECOND. Even skinny people can be unhealthy. It isn't all about the number on the scale. It is about being fit and healthy, no matter what the scale says.

There are a lot of other things I do, but I think these are good places to start.

For all of the other successful MFPals out there, what is YOUR best advice for newbies and/or people who are struggling to get started and/or stay motivated???

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    water water water
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Sound advice. Great post.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Be intentional to surround yourself with motivational people. For instance, I tend to "friend" folks on MFP who either have at least 50lbs or more to lose or have lost 50lbs or more. I'm convinced this has been key for me! And when folks start slipping off...I unfriend them. This is an important journey and I want no less than the most dedicated, most succesful persons on my team!
  • DavyRockhit
    DavyRockhit Posts: 168
    Options
    Wonderful advice =)
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    #3 is something I don't think many people quite understand. Take it one step at a time and accept that the process will be slow! Remove tempation slowly...I had to start with one thing and then another and then another until I had weaned myself off of sweets and unhealthy snacks!!
  • HowardRose
    HowardRose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    RIght in the button. For me when I started it more about trying keep my calories intake in check first, before elimating bad food. And adding more water.... Water is great for taking care of the late in the day urges to snack.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Great advice!

-I'd also add that it helps to have specific goals. And no, "I want to weigh X" is not a specific goal. "I want to jog up a flight of stairs without being winded" is a goal. See the difference? If your goals are meaningful, it's easier to use them as motivators when the going gets tough.

-Buy a food scale. Logging accurately is more than half the battle.
  • mssweetjay
    mssweetjay Posts: 142
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing!!! After reading I realize that I am on the right track!! Everything that you said is so true. Thanks again for sharing!!! I shall keep moving forward
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Simplify what you can. Anyone can do this for a few months, but it takes real determination to make it a lifestyle change. People tend to get overwhelmed thinking it's too hard and give up. If you don't feel like working out, at least get your butt out there and take a walk. Don't feel like eating your protein level today and want to carb it up? Okay for day or two, but that doesn't mean eating cake and ice cream because you give up.

We should do what is fun and inspires us in the way of workouts, but life isn't always fun and games either. Watching what you eat and working out are going to get monotonous from time to time, but that's when we put on our big boy and big girl panties and push through. I mean, do we quit our jobs because it's not a super fun amusement park everyday? No, well, same rule applies.

A bit of a soapbox, but these thoughts have been on my mind lately. The monotony factor is what tends to make or break a lot of people I've noticed. It's sometimes tough to hear a bit of tough love, but it's exactly what's needed. Good luck to everyone.
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Fad diets, pills etc dont work because its a lifestyle change and while those might work at first they are harmful and addicting and once you stop the diet or whatever you will gain the weight back faster and probably be worse than when you started: It is a lifestyle and learn from it with each step while learning how your own body works along with what everyone else has said
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Cory it's like you were reading my mind. We have very similar ideas when it comes to this:) So some of this might be a repeat but here goes:

1) Absolutely find some kind of exercise that you enjoy doing. For me it was Step Class. Even when I truly don't feel up to working out, if there is a Step Class going on, I will drag my butt to the gym and go. Love love love it! And if you make exercise a habit (they say after sticking with it for 21 times) then it really become easier to stick with it. You may even find you miss it if you don't do it!

2) Everyone falters, even the successful ones. The trick is getting right back on track as soon as possible. I just got back from vacation and gained 6.5 pounds (as of Monday). I got right back into it and lost 7 pounds from Monday to Friday. Just stick with it!

3) Take measurements and take before pictures. You may not like what you see in them, but you will be glad you have them later on. Seeing that difference can make you feel so much better than any numbers on a scale.

4) The counting of calories using any method can be daunting at first but honestly, the longer you do it, the easier it becomes and will definitely become another habit. MFP is the first place I log into every day!

I might think of more later but there is my two cents for now:) Good luck !!!!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Love it!! The only thing I'd add is to sort of build on your first point by suggesting people make fitness goals (like - walk or run a 5k in 6 months) as important as weight loss goals. It can help make that number on the scale a bit less important and health/fitness more of a priority.

Oh and to sort of add to whoever said "water water water", track you sodium - not just for heart heatlh but for us women at least, it can make a huge difference in weight due to water retention
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    1, 2, 3, and 5 totally applied to me. i didnt care too too much about healthy at that time. Those 4 are what i would say too, and bit to rush it. take your time to learn as you go!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Create a plan and work your plan.

Visualization

Believing in yourself

Education
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I'd also add that it helps to have specific goals. And no, "I want to weigh X" is not a specific goal. "I want to jog up a flight of stairs without being winded" is a goal.

I'll never be fit enough for that. Doesn't matter what i do LOL always gets me those darn stairs!
  • jend114
    jend114 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    great post
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Use the Search function before asking a question on the forums. It's been asked on here already 99% of the time.
  • ThaCookieMonster
    ThaCookieMonster Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Well im NOT a cooking girl but ive found a greattt frozen vegetable/pasta packages with good sodium and they are delicious!! different combinations like alfredo, cheese sauce, regualr mixed vegetables... the brand is 'Birds Eye'. Check it out for people who dont like to cook but want to get their veggies in!

What about sweets???
    U dont want to have 2 oreos and then ur whole day of sugar is gone! MEET MURRAYS!!
    simply amazing... Brand name 'Murrays' they have sugar free wafer, cookies, cookie sandwhiches and best beleieve its like there is sugar in it because i wouldnt eat them if it taste like a brick!!!

What about CANDYYY!!!???
    Dove <-- HAS AN AMAZINGGGGG sugar free BUTTER CREAM PEANUT BUTTER candies... taste just like reeses which are my all time fav! Also RUSSEL STOVER and WHITMANS have sugar free candy that taste amazing!!

Beleive me im not a fan of sugar free, But the list of things above dont taste like they have no sugar!!! I have lost 52 lbs switching to these treats becuase i am a snackerrrrr...

Oh WAAAAATTTTTTEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRR!!! :) and GET UR *kitten* UP AND WALK :)

<3 ADD ME and send me a message if there is any questions!!

-Megan
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Use the Search function before asking a question on the forums. It's been asked on here already 99% of the time.

^^ THIS!! ^^
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    This can be a hard one, but let every day live and die on its own. A bad day is not a program fail. Take one day forward at a time, but look back at the big picture. "Trust the trend" When I'm frustrated because the scale stopped moving, or I've had a bad day or two, I look back at my weight graph that shows an overall consistent TREND of losing weight, despite little ups and downs all over the place. It reminds me that what I'm doing IS working, even if it doesn't feel like it at some given moment.