"You've lost too much weight" BS

Options
I'm getting so tired ALREADY of people saying i've lost too much weight.

When i started back in Novemeber my co-workers were interested and supportive, i was asked everyday what i was doing and told it was all so great. 36 pounds later i still have so much i feel is important to work on, its exhausting to try to explain pounds vs body fat precentage to people who only want you to know they think its too much.
You just can't win. Now everyday instead of being supported ill feel like im viewed as some girl obsessed with a number on a scale when really im looking for a complete transformation of health and physical fitness.

Thanks to all my MFP friends for the support, i know you guys understand and are going through similar stuff.

Has anyone else been getting similar feedback?

Replies

• MaureenCreates
    MaureenCreates Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    ohhh yeah... even when it's something as simple as choosing light mayo when I go to Subway someone's like "***** YOU SKINNY YOU DON'T NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT" and I'm like "umm... how exactly do you think I maintain this? By stuffing my face?"
    I choose to make healthy choices and people freak out.
    I'm working more on toning up now then anything, but I still need to make good food choices to get there.
    Baaaaah.
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    That could be part jealousy.. I think some part of people want others to fail so they feel better about themselves. Keep doing what you're doing and screw everyone else.
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    What is wrong with people? Keep up the good work and congratulations on your achievement. :)
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Only from my morbidly obese parents. Physicians asked if the weight loss had been on purpose. That's about it.
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Haha, I was ill still am a little bit and the girl I go to the gym with says I am pushing myself and that's why I got ill.
    I should mention that at this point all I was doing is gym class a night eating healthy and walking to and from work and to the gym which is about an hour and a half walk a day.

It annoys me when the people who are around you don't support you. Luckily I have a super supportive boyfriend at home.
  • balconywriternb
    Options
    Yes! I get that all the time now. First I was getting compliments and now I'm getting "you need to stop dieting! you're too thin!"
    People may not only be jealous that you're losing weight, but they're jealous that you have discipline and control. It takes a lot of will power to stick to a diet.
    GO YOU! Go all of us!!!
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    When it comes down to it, they are incredibly envious and jealous...and people balk at what they don't know or understand. Coninue doing what you are doing...we're here and you ROCK! Keep the fitness and health going! :)
  • wxkris
    wxkris Posts: 57
    Options
    I agree with the jealousy statement. People feel better about themselves if they can bring you down with them. By saying "you're losing too much weight" or "you should eat more," it makes them feel better to see you fall behind in your efforts.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    ARGH, I am so fed up of everyone having an issue, I am far from skinny, but apparently I am too thin. Loads of people I hardly know have told me they 'are worried' and one girl last week told me I obviously had an illness :O

What the heck is wrong with people? Jealous, I reckon.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Yeah. where I am everyone is a size large or bigger with bellies so being smaller than them already and then dropping 20 or more lbs just makes them see me as skinny.
  • luvgreen25
    luvgreen25 Posts: 202
    Options
    Yes. I'm down 21 pounds with about 25 more to lose before I even enter into a "healthy" BMI range and family members are telling me that I'm getting too skinny. Keep in mind, I come from a long line of overweight, unhealthy people. I am just trying to get healthy - not sickly skinny! My doctors keep telling me that I'm doing well and I'm sure that if I take this losing weight thing too far - they'll be quick to tell me that too.

Just keep up the good work and remember - either side of the situation has judgmental people. If there's an overweight person that reaches for a piece of chocolate, people say - "are you sure you should be eating that?"
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Everybody in the world thinks they are entitled to their own opinion, and I suppose they are. Where most people are mistaken is that everybody also seems to believe that they need to tell everyone their opinion at all times, or that everybody is just dying to hear what they think. It is because they are ignorant fools. Even lots of people here on MFP pull that "losing too much weight", "not eating enough" crap on other people rather than just being supportive. Everyone thinks they are a doctor and everyone thinks they definitely must know more than you do.
    The truth of the matter is, most people today, esp. in America are overweight if not obese. So obviously, when it comes to weight and diet, they don't know anything. A lot people are even ignorant to the fact that they are overweight.
    So next time somebody tells you you're losing too much weight and you're obsessed with dieting, share your opinion right back and tell them how fat they are and how they're obsessed with eating food. Give em a taste of their own medicine and maybe they'll be quiet.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    A lot of my colleagues have commented on my weight loss and they have been very supportive so far.

Where it starts to go a bit odd is when the discussion progresses and I tell them that I'm only half way to my goal and I have another 18kg/40lbs to lose, then it changes to "oh no, you don't want to lose that much! You'll be too skinny".

I want to say: "How would you know? Are you the one carrying all this excess fat around? Do you know how much I weigh? How much I'm aiming for? Do you know what my weight *should* be?"

Instead I just say "I'm just taking it one day at a time and I'll stop when I'm done" They aren't involved in what I'm doing and they don't get to say when I'm done!

I am looking forward to the first time someone tells me I've lost too much...:laugh:
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Even from my supporters. They ask my goal weight and Ill get "Are you sure you can EVER be that thin?" or "Well make sure you dont lose TOO much!" or (my personal least favorite) "You know that makes you BARELY within normal BMI right?"

for the record YES, I will be!, How can I lose too much when technically, Ill barely be within a normal BMI, and (what Id love to scream) No *kitten*! But I havent been a normal BMI since I was a kid! Its my body and my numbers, if you dont like it Bite Me!
  • msblueyes5
    msblueyes5 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    ohhh yeah... even when it's something as simple as choosing light mayo when I go to Subway someone's like "***** YOU SKINNY YOU DON'T NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT" and I'm like "umm... how exactly do you think I maintain this? By stuffing my face?"
    I choose to make healthy choices and people freak out.
    I'm working more on toning up now then anything, but I still need to make good food choices to get there.
    Baaaaah.

UGH! This happens to me all the time!! Super annoying..Its like..leave me alone! lol
  • linsben
    linsben Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I wonder if its the same for men or if this is mostly something women who have lost significant weight experience
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    To the women who say that I respond "that's no what your husband said last night." BAM
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Don't let it get to you... what someone else thinks of you is not what you're after. It's all about how YOU feel and how YOU want your body to look. When someone asks me why I make the healthy choices that I make, I tend to brush it off because I know that it won't matter to either them or I whether I chose the whole grain or white version, or the 0% or full fat version but I'll feel a whole lot better knowing that I made the right choice :)

If they think that you're too skinny, maybe it's their call for help - that they can't be happy in their own skin & that they have to criticize yours.
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Yep, happens to me too...mostly in the form of a "concerned" question "Are you STILL losing weight?!" something like that....

whatever......just keep on making healthy choices. .....that's how I'm dealing with it.

:tongue:
  • maygans
    maygans Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I don't like when people exclaim "that's tiny!" when I tell them my goal weight (125). Sure maybe that's tiny for YOU, person who is a good 3-4 inches taller than me, but I'm short! Besides that, I'm not after a number, I'm after a range, and I'm more about trying to be fit and lean than having a certain number on the scale. At this point in the process I need a "goal" to work towards to keep me on track. It's just annoying that people feel they need to comment.

p.s. I've never had someone as short as me say "that's tiny!" about my goal weight, it's always tall people who are also extremely thin that feel the need to say something.