asking runners about shoes

Options
2»

Replies

• corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I replace mine every 300-500 miles....depending on how they are feeling. You don't need a super expensive pair, but should get something designed for running....no Target shoes allowed.

This!

It is more about miles than months.

Also, while you don't need expenssive shoes, properly fitted ones are important. I would suggest shelling out the extra bucks to get fitted at a running store at least for your first pair. Once you know what size, style and brand work for you, you can look for them cheaper elsewhere.

As to brand, it really is a personal preference. I ran in Asics with no issues, and thought I liked them until I tried the Brooks ASR = me in love!
  • paradog
    paradog Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    A properly fitted shoe is worth the prevention of injury. Go cheap on shoes and it may cost you later. If you figure you are using them 3-6 days a week, then spending $125 is easy to justify. Go to a true runners store and be fitted. Do you have high arches, flat feet, instep runner, etc

Happy Running!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week on average. I run about 20 miles per week and do other cardio as well. I am working on upping my distance. I buy new shoes every 3-6 months, but still continue to wear the "old" pair too. In other words, I like to rotate my shoes. I switch between 2 pairs all the time and in 3-6 months I buy another new pair and rotate out the oldest pair to become everyday shoes. So basically wearing a pair about 3 months if I was wearing it every day. I do this for 2 reasons: 1) I find my feet and joints do better with changing between 2 different running shoes, also the shoes last longer and wear better because the shoes have time to dry out. 2) I like to buy new running shoes! Its fun! Stay up on the latest trend in styles and try one that is fitted for my feet. I have a pair of Nikes I really am liking right now and a pair of Asics. My next pair I think I will get the new Reebok RealFlex shoes that just came out. I tried some on at the sports store and both the shoe guy and I thought that they would work really well for my feet --- just have to wait a couple more months to get them. I spend about $250 on new workout shoes a year, I don't like to spend over $100 a pair and I buy on average 3 pair a year. Often I will try on shoes at the store and pick out a pair and then over the next few weeks shop around for better prices both at other stores and online. Deals can be found online, but you need to try the exact shoe on in a store and be fitted before just up and buying online.
  • inotnew
    inotnew Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. The reason I stopped the last time was probably because of bad shoes. Always good information from those who have been there. Thank you all.
  • Johnsweaver
    Johnsweaver Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    As others have said, go to a running store and get fitted. I've found their prices aren't much, if any higher than the sporting goods stores. Last time I got a discount by buying the previous year's model when the new ones were out. Usually, it's the same shoe, just a different look.