Controversial stance, maybe?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Assuming that every big company has it out for your life makes no sense. They can't make money if their product killed people; it's in their best interest to feed you food that WON'T kill you.

... cigarette companies? hello??!
    i mean there's just so much i can say in response to this. pesticides are used so that there is more product to be sold, period. because it makes more MONEY.

.... everything is about money. companies dont care about their customers. lets get real here..

obviously everything is relative, and no you wont DIE from eating a bag of cheetos once a week, but if you eat them all day every day it WILL negatively affect your health.

luckily its not my job or concern to convince anyone, so carry on lol
    love this! Makes far more sense:drinker: :wink:
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Well the bottom line for big company's selling food is to bring in the highest and fastest rate of cash flow. Now of course they dot want to kill of their customers by putting poison pesticides and chemicals on their produce BUT, if these pesticides and chemicals improve their profit, and IF these pesticides and chemicals don't have any IMMEDIATE effect on anyone then who's to blame? It's already been proven that these pesticides and artificial growth hormones are bad for us. In the end all that matters to them is who gets the mula..
    If I ever eat meat I try to go with grass fed and free range, healthier animal=happier animals=better food=happier me

Yep.

We're looking to move soon, and we're already scoping out area farms that practice no-hormone/no abx/cage-free/grass fed. I've never fallen for the "industry has a vested interest in not harming us" pucky. Industry has a vested interest in turning a profit, and will tell whatever tales it has to and will use whatever nasty products it can to maximize those profits.

Lros
    YAY! So glad to hear you are being pro-active and looking for farms without the use of dangerous chemicals, Hormone usage for animals & GMO's.:drinker: :drinker:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out also, "free range" is another meaningless term. All "free range" means is that the animal has "access" to the outside. Kind of like an inmate getting an hour of exercise time a day. Also, there's no official definition of "grass fed" either, a farmer could include a single blade of grass in the animals' feed and call it grass fed. They're all just marketing terms to get people to spend more money.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out also, "free range" is another meaningless term. All "free range" means is that the animal has "access" to the outside. Kind of like an inmate getting an hour of exercise time a day. Also, there's no official definition of "grass fed" either, a farmer could include a single blade of grass in the animals' feed and call it grass fed. They're all just marketing terms to get people to spend more money.

Which is why you investigate the farm/ranch in question. Our chickens and eggs come from a local farm we've visited just a few miles down the road (the chickens range in large pasture areas during the day). We're looking at going in on half a cow this fall, and the ranch is readily accessible and open for examination.

Kris
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    ...also lets not forget dear dinosaurs whom we fed and were very desired meal,

Wait, and *I* got flak for linking to a well-researched Wikipedia article??

Why aren't you teachers commenting about these examples of blatant misinformation and atrocious spelling and grammar? :P
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

Which is why you investigate the farm/ranch in question. Our chickens and eggs come from a local farm we've visited just a few miles down the road (the chickens range in large pasture areas during the day). We're looking at going in on half a cow this fall, and the ranch is readily accessible and open for examination.

Kris

Seconded. For those looking for actual free-range/grass-fed/species-appropriate-fed, see if you have a local Amish community. The ones around me, at least, have great meats, since they basically let their animals be animals, don't pump them full of hormones, and only give them antibiotics if they actually *need* them.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    PERSONALLY i took this as more of a organic vs non organic debate... an organic banana has 105 cals... a non organic banana has 105 cals... they have the same amount of vitamins too... what's the real difference? a LABEL!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    I eat as clean as possible, because I can't have just one serving of chips, etc. without wanting another and another and another...

Beyond that, doesn't anyone find it a bit odd that we never really crave broccoli or good for us stuff? We crave sodium-rich, high fat content foods because those things are addictive. So why wouldn't companies put a high amount of that crap into their food to guarantee higher sales?

I actually do crave fresh fruits and steamed veggies quite often... I hardly ever crave chips or processed foods. To me that is more convenience food for when I'm lazy. The only thing that I do often crave is chocolate but even then its 80% cocoa chocolate bars that I lust after. I think its really hard to make vast generalizations about the way people eat. I for one cannot process carbs at all but I still agree with the op... "all natural" is a hot button word specifically used to target a consumer. They charge more for produce that otherwise would be inexpensive. I have the biggest unsecret.in the world about your food... That "organic" food you are eating still has pesticides in it they are just "certified organic" pesticides. My husband does commercial and residential pest control for a living and basically the difference between organic pesticides and non organic pesticides is one is naturally occurring and refined, think crude oil here, while the other is a synthetic of the same naturally occurring compound.
    i can say i actually do crave fruits as well....maybe its all the pesticides in my non organic fruit that make me crave it
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    PERSONALLY i took this as more of a organic vs non organic debate... an organic banana has 105 cals... a non organic banana has 105 cals... they have the same amount of vitamins too... what's the real difference? a LABEL!

Well, as I said earlier, some of us have reactions to specific non organic pesticides and fertilizers. While it may not bother many there is a difference. And I am pretty sure I have seen studies done on the nutritional differences between standard eggs and pastured ones.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

In my experience, the organic bananas last longer than their non-organic counterparts, even from the same company. I've also found that organic potatoes don't rot like the non-organic ones I've bought, but instead generally start sprouting. That's just my experience, though.

I found a good article from Mayo Clinic on organic vs non-organic, if anyone's interested, though - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/organic-food/NU00255
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

The real difference is chemicals. It's not what they have in common, but what they don't. Though some organic foods do have higher nutrients.
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    "Should I also find potential mates by hitting them with a club and dragging their unconscious bodies back to my cave?"...

Some people may say yes to that one. I liked this post!!!

so you're telling me I'm not supposed to hit guys over the head before I put them in my car..?? ;) j.k :noway:
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I think natural tends to be better in most cases, about most things,
    but I have a bit of a hippie streak in me. :flowerforyou:

And as a college instructor, I deduct 10% off any paper that cites Wikipedia.
    My students know this policy and yet..... they still cite it.

It's just not natural.

thank you! lol
  • bry_all01
    Options
    I think natural tends to be better in most cases, about most things,
    but I have a bit of a hippie streak in me. :flowerforyou:

And as a college instructor, I deduct 10% off any paper that cites Wikipedia.
    My students know this policy and yet..... they still cite it.

It's just not natural.

I love you for this!! I also scoffed at the original citation of Wikipedia. As a former English teacher it ruffled my feathers to see it used. And the banter between the two is seriously cracking me up! LOL

I couldn't hold my tongue. I'm stubborn that way. :laugh:
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The deathcap mushroom is natural. Cyanide is natural. Just become something is "natural" doesn't mean its going to improve your health....
  • Shadowcasting
    Options
    The real difference is chemicals. It's not what they have in common, but what they don't. Though some organic foods do have higher nutrients.

Organic produce is often fertilized with manure. I'm not sure how the potential for illness from feces being spread all over your food is better than the potential of illness from a chemical.
  • Shadowcasting
    Options
    The problem with the word "natural" (and someone may have beaten me to this) is that it's meaningless when it comes to ingestibles. Cyanide is "natural." So is uranium. Doesn't mean we want to be eating them. "Natural" is just a green-wash term to get people to think that products are somehow better for them. "Natural" doesn't mean healthy or organic.

Kris

Well, crap, I should have read ALL of the replies before I said the same thing!! Ah well. Great minds, right?!
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options

You forgot to add all that pesticide and hormone crap that is in the non organic bananas.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Organic produce is often fertilized with manure. I'm not sure how the potential for illness from feces being spread all over your food is better than the potential of illness from a chemical.

The manure must be aged 2 full years, at which time harmful bacteria in the feces will have died. If you know of someone spreading fresh manure you should not eat their food because of the threat of e-coli.
  • bry_all01
    Options
    ...also lets not forget dear dinosaurs whom we fed and were very desired meal,

Wait, and *I* got flak for linking to a well-researched Wikipedia article??

Why aren't you teachers commenting about these examples of blatant misinformation and atrocious spelling and grammar? :P

bwahahaha! (I'm no teacher/professor, etc. And, I was teasing, promise!) :tongue: