Tattoos and Fitness... Chicken or the Egg?

Options
LorinaLynn
LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
I've been going to the gym a lot more since the Mother Nature turned up the thermostat, and I'm noticing all over again how many of the people there have ink.

Now, if you'd asked me a year ago or so, I'd never have guessed that tattooed folks are a really health conscious demographic. It shouldn't surprise me... I know wanting to show off my own tattoos has been part of my motivation to get fit. But say... 20 or 15 or even 10 years ago, the only place I saw tattoos were at conventions or concerts.

But it makes me wonder, for the average person, which came first? The tattoos, then wanting to have that art on a nice, tight canvas, or are the tattoos a way of showcasing the work they've already done on their bodies?

Replies

• RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Tattoos came first. I wouldn't say mine are related, in the sense that I'm working my butt off so they'll be showcased better, but I definitely have some I won't get until the rolls are out of the way. Tattoos are #1. Fitness comes and goes in spurts for me sometimes. :laugh:
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    First came some tattoos, then massive weight loss, then a few more tattoos :)
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I had honestly never thought about that before... I have 2, but they are in spots not seen, ok, unless I am wearing a bikini. I would like to know what others think now, too. Good question! :bigsmile:
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    For me the tattoos came first. I've got three and even the newest one is 15 years old now. Never even really thought about it being related but now that you mention it, the one on my bum cheek does look better :-)
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I picked the location of my tattoo based specifically on the fact that I don't gain weight there :-p
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Tattoos 1st. Love em.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Bump.. will have to read when I get home
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Tattoo.
    Then weight GAIN
    Then Tattoo
    Then weight LOSS
    Then Tattoo
    Then got FIT
    Then Tattoo

:tongue: soooo, I guess before AND after.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I got my tats at the age of 33 and 34, and I was already in pretty good shape.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Fitness first... don't ever plan to have a tattoo. :)
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Tattoos here for me :) I have three. They aren't areas that need to be "tight" to show off, though. One on my leg, one on the back of my neck/upper back and one on my hip.
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    tattoos came first
    but my next 2 tattoos are part of my reward for hitting my goal weight
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Tats came first for me but then again I got mine young and in shape....but I continued to get more even when I put on a few.

So Tats for my final answer :-)
  • britterbrittney
    britterbrittney Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have 6.5 tattoos (one I had a coverup done on, thats where the .5 came from). All of mine are visible during the summer (leg, ankle, foot, wrist) and only one is visible...almost never. My shoulder. It's my favorite too...so its motivation to lose weight so I can show it off more next summer! Also, one of my rewards when I get down to a goal weight is a tattoo on my side/rib cage. It is going to be something resembling my journey. I have thoughts about what it is, but nothing official :)
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Tattoos came first.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I started getting tattooed at 18 so I suppose the tattoos, I was never "Into" fitness I was just naturally slender.

I have at least 3 more tattoos planned (have 3 already and one is about 1/3 of my back). I LOVE the summer months when I get to show them off more. Especially since I'm a nursing student and I know they have to be covered for school/work.

I'm just glad I don't have to take out all my piercings anymore.
  • E_Risk
    E_Risk Posts: 1
    Options
    I would have to say my tattoos were a turning point in my life that helped me become ready to be a healthier person. I have a full back piece and I get stopped everytime I am in the gym for someone to look at it or they want to talk about all of the tattoos I have. In a way tattoos are what helped me heal and turned my life around.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I picked the location of my tattoo based specifically on the fact that I don't gain weight there :-p

Agreed.. Mine is between my shoulder blades. . . when I lose some more weight. . then I will think about getting another one.. .
  • Tat2dMommy
    Tat2dMommy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For me, the tattoos came first. I was skinny when I got my first few tattoos (I was 18) . Then at 24, the baby came and after that came more tattoos and then I decided that my tattoos would look WAY better if I lost weight.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    both for me. I have one tattoo behind my ear. I picked there becasue it doesn't get fat and I woun't have to take off clothes to get it done or show people. However, I have plans for several other tattoos for when I am smaller. My goal tattoo is a koi fish on my back. I don't wear tank tops due to streach marks on my shoulders so this will be a big step for me. There are other tattoos that i want but am afraid they would change when I lost weight