Tattoos and Fitness... Chicken or the Egg?

Options

Replies

• _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I am waiting to get a tattoo until I am in shape... so I guess fitness
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    tattoos were first! But for my next one (big one), fitness will come first...
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Mine are on the bottom of my foot and inside my lip. Never worried about weight loss or gain when I got them
  • arhzon
    arhzon Posts: 150
    Options
    Historically, in the B.C. days (the earliest relevant time of which I'm aware), tattoos were used to mark people as a part of a group, or in some cultures, used to mark women so men could select them based on their skill. For example, a woman's wrist may be marked with a weaving symbol, or cooking, etc. I believe this came long before they were a fashion statement.

I just got my first ink two months ago, showing off not only my newly muscular chest, but also my affiliation with a super cool MMA team (okay, I'm bragging a little :-D ). I definitely waited to get mine, though, until I had the body to show it off.
  • Jessicapages
    Jessicapages Posts: 427
    Options
    For me the tattoos came first.I have 3
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Historically, in the B.C. days (the earliest relevant time of which I'm aware), tattoos were used to mark people as a part of a group, or in some cultures, used to mark women so men could select them based on their skill. For example, a woman's wrist may be marked with a weaving symbol, or cooking, etc.

I KNEW I should have gotten a full-body tat...!!
  • nwohler
    nwohler Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The tattoos came first, my weight has changed over the years but I feel like I got my tattoos in places that won't get too roll-y (my upper back and ankle). Now that I'm getting healthier I feel like I can show them off more, which I like : D Maybe as I continue to lose weight I might get a few more!
  • mamijujuphat
    mamijujuphat Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Some of my tatts came first.....I was in shape when I got my first...I had my kid & gained weight... I've gotten 2 since...But I want to get another one when I reach my goal weight...& I can showcase it better
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I got my tats first as they symbolized specific moments in my life. They're in places that don't matter a whole lot (upper back and ankle) in regards to weight loss....but I really want a few more after I'm done losing weight. Those would go on my hip, shoulder blade, or side/ribcage area.
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    I got my first tattoo at 49, then came the weight loss, and now my addiction. I admit it, I am a fitness addict. I also plan on another ratio when I reach my final goal
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I got mine before I started.. I will get more as money allows :laugh:
  • MissionABS
    MissionABS Posts: 80
    Options
    Got my tattoo first.

e9645126f2onkey.jpeg.jpeg

I lost so much weight, one of my monkeys disappeared.

belly_button_tattoo_picture_2.jpg
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I got before I gained the weight and my plan is to get another after I lose the weight. I want to put my daugther's name in korean characters on my shoulder with cherry blossoms around it :)
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    For me the tattoos came first (I have 2) and have nothing what-so-ever to do with my weight loss journey however, I have read on many people's profiles and signature lines that there are a significant number of MFP'ers who are planning to get inked as a way of rewarding themselves when they reach goal or goal weight. Having tattoos used to mean you are bad-*kitten* and now it's equal to a fashion accessory.
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i got my first couple of when i was loaded up on drugs and booze, so fitness and health were definitely NOT even close to being a priority at the time.

that said, now that i'm heavier, i'm less likely to show off my tattoos because that means removing some clothing and putting my body on display.

after i reach my goal, definitely getting more tattoos.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Well, I have one tattoo right now, so that one came first.

I have two additionals planned, one small and one larger. The issue I'm struggling with is that my "canvas" is quite flawed with stretch marks so the areas I'd like to put them may or may not work b/c I'm not sure how well (or if) you can tattoo over a stretch mark.

If not, then I have some serious "canvas hunting" to do for the smaller one. I think I can still do the larger one, as it's designed for my side from my hip to under my arm and thankfully, that area didn't end up striped.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Tattoos were first but I'm thinking my reward to myself when I reach goal (besides being fit) is another tattoo. I have a few months to contemplate. Not sure what or where.
  • bflicker11
    bflicker11 Posts: 296
    Options
    Tattoos first for me!
  • TTops76
    TTops76 Posts: 116
    Options
    Tattoos first, 11 for me but planning on a new addition when I reach my goal weight
  • jeepzilla
    jeepzilla Posts: 201
    Options
    well fat came first because I have never been skinny hell even when i was born i was big.. then Tats from my military days then more weight then more tats.. Now weight aand new tats whooo going to get my kids name on me cant wait I have a idea what i want going tomorrow to see what the dude can do!!!