Be honest, what would you do?

Options
If something happened tomorrow and the internet was shut down, would you be able to carry on without MFP? In the time you've spent here logging food and exercise, have you learned enough to do this the old fashioned way with a pencil and paper. I don't know for sure if I could. I do have a scale for weighing food but I have gotten so accicted to MFP and it is so easy to enter food from my recipes and the database it would definitely be a shock to my system. I've been thinking about printing out all of the daily food diaries since I started just in case my 'puter dies. They might come in handy as daily food plans should the need arise. I can't afford a new computer and wouldn't be able to replace it for awhile. I'm such a pessimist. :frown: Any thoughts?

Replies

• SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    i could do it but I wouldn't want to. I'm a MFP addict now.
  • kell_riley
    kell_riley Posts: 312
    Options
    do you have a smart phone? you could have the MFP app its just as good as the website!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I would pretend i was a rabbit and much on lettuce and carrots all day. :angry:
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    I wouldn't. The ease of entry is what has made me do it thus far. Plus I like gadgets and sharts. (sheepish)
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Easy peasy but I've been doing this a year. I don't NEED MFP to track for me anymore, I can do it long hand and I can even eyeball things pretty well now too :D

Having the smartphone app helps too LOL. But I could deal without that too.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    It would be more difficult, but I could manage. There are pocketbooks that list calories, and I have a pen and notebook. I would still log because that works for me best. I also use a HRM and Droid with RunKeeper to track my time, distance, MPH, and calories burned. If the Droid went down, I could drive the distance in my car and use a stop watch.
  • HannahPendrigh
    HannahPendrigh Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    yeah, I'd use the app on my phone :)
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Nope, smart phones wouldn't work either. My future world is looking more and more bleak. WOW, no cell phones either!!!

Well smart phones won't work if there is no internet. Smart phones access the same internet as computers do.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I did it when I was in my teens. My family didn't own a computer. I lost weight, but not nearly as effectively as I am now. And it was such a pain in the @$$ back then! But I was just a kid...it would be torture to do it now with my crazy schedule. So, in short, I'd do it the old-fashioned way if I absolutely HAD to, but doing without MFP would be awful!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I honestly believe I would be fine if I could no longer log into MFP. I lost the majority of my weight before joining this site, so I truly believe I could maintain my weight loss without it. :)
  • Abigailblue39
    Abigailblue39 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't know what else do do with myself:smile:
  • PassTheSalad
    Options
    I've got calorie counter books and a pantry full of healthy food (and I'm pretty sure there's a pencil around here somewhere) so I think I'd be alright. :)
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    i think I could do it w/o MFP, it would be hard but it's manageable
    plenty of people had success loosing weight before the interenet
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I could easily manage my exercise and food intake, but i'd be an epic, EPIC failure without the amazing guidance and support of the amazing, incredible and utterly unselfish friends I have on this site, so I'm afraid without mfp I'd collapse and crumble.
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have the App for that, seriously tho, I was undereating so I know what is unhealthy, I know the basica and I have always been a lable reader so I can estimate what I need if the site was gone forever. but the support I get here is one of the things I would miss the most. Sadly my husband is not excited about it (says I am fine the way I am and already put a limit on how skinny I can go, not very supportive just lets me do my "hobbies" and leaves it at that)
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i could, and do

i have weeks where i go and visit family and don't like to use their computers(or dont have chance) so i either do the figures on a calculator or using pen and paper...also during the day generally i'll calculate mentally what i have the calorie allowance for and log in the evening...it'd take a hell of alot longer without mfp though..especially calculating the fat,fiber,sodium etc
  • Uk_Yogini
    Uk_Yogini Posts: 167
    Options
    Yep. I could totally do this on my own at this point. And so could you. We are all capable of doing anything we set our minds too !
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I guess it might not be too bad. I pretty much know the healthy foods that have become my standard diet. I'd really miss the forums and all the support.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I've only been using the site for 12 days, but I've logged in everyday, religiously, before and after I eat ANYTHING, now! That said, I could, of course, do it without the Internet..my dad actually does this everyday, no Internet. He has a folder set-up with hand-written sheets that he copies down, since he's not tech-savvy whatsoever. :tongue: I'd just use their scanner and make myself a bunch of them! Of course, I'd much prefer this site!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    In the event that the internet shut down, I will assume that a catastrophic world wide event has taken place. In which case, I will have no problem continuing to lose fat and increase strength as I would be turning back to a hunter gatherer style of living (with possible running from aliens and/or zombies).

p.s. I'm pretty good at keeping myself in check without logging everything already and have learned some new nifty tools for upping or lowering calorie content in recipes. I'd do okay even if the 1st world problems continued to be 1st world problems.