Options

Replies

• pork_belly
    Options
    Bump. I do net carbs.
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    So, when people say they do low-carb, and keep it around 100 or less a day, do you think they're counting net carbs, or is that their total carbs? Just wondering...

I do net carbs. I try to keep my total (without subtracting fiber) around 50. I like to keep my net between 35-40. It works for me.

That being said, I have had a cummy morning! I was supposed to meet my trainer at the gym at 5:30...I was there, he wasn't, UGH!!! :grumble: :angry: But, I did 3.10 miles on the elliptical in 40 mins and then a circuit of the weight machines in the ladies area of the gym - like 9 total machines.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    So, when people say they do low-carb, and keep it around 100 or less a day, do you think they're counting net carbs, or is that their total carbs? Just wondering...

I do net carbs. I try to keep my total (without subtracting fiber) around 50. I like to keep my net between 35-40. It works for me.

That being said, I have had a cummy morning! I was supposed to meet my trainer at the gym at 5:30...I was there, he wasn't, UGH!!! :grumble: :angry: But, I did 3.10 miles on the elliptical in 40 mins and then a circuit of the weight machines in the ladies area of the gym - like 9 total machines.

I noticed in my diary that when I keep my net carbs at 20, my total carbs are actually around 45-50. I was just curious how other low-carbers do it. It's become second nature to me now to take out the fiber.
  • martinah4
    Options
    Oh, I finally got the Taubes book "Why We Get Fat..." from my library. Apparently it's pretty popular...took about a week on reserve, and is a little beat up! Started it last night, and I already like it!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I do net carbs
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I also count net carbs.

For those making the cheesecake muffins posted here a few weeks ago.... I shop at Fry's (which is owned by Kroger) and the Kroger brand of lower fat cream cheese, which is really Neufchâtel cheese, has less than 1 gram of carbs per 2 tablespoon serving. Most similar cheeses are at 2 grams of carbs per serving, so this is a significant find. Using this cheese, rather than the regular cream cheese should make this little treat even allowable during induction. I'm eating my last muffin today using the regular cream cheese and will be making a new batch this weekend using the Neufchâtel.
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Geez, I look away for a couple of days and then I have to search for the new thread, lol!

I had a cheat day at the fair on Sunday (potato pancakes with applesauce AND also soft-serve chocolate ice cream) and then regular spaghetti & meatballs at my mom's for dinner. It almost wasn't worth it because I worried about eating those types of carbs and the sugar in the ice cream and that caused me to stress out. Then for the next two days I was craving more ice cream (a specific Ben & Jerry's flavor) and bread and pasta and thinking oh, maybe just another cheat day would be okay... I managed to get through it but I was pretty unhappy. Maybe I should consider not having cheat days at all, except maybe to have a few alcoholic drinks!
  • nrtenagrl
    nrtenagrl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Geez, I look away for a couple of days and then I have to search for the new thread, lol!

I had a cheat day at the fair on Sunday (potato pancakes with applesauce AND also soft-serve chocolate ice cream) and then regular spaghetti & meatballs at my mom's for dinner. It almost wasn't worth it because I worried about eating those types of carbs and the sugar in the ice cream and that caused me to stress out. Then for the next two days I was craving more ice cream (a specific Ben & Jerry's flavor) and bread and pasta and thinking oh, maybe just another cheat day would be okay... I managed to get through it but I was pretty unhappy. Maybe I should consider not having cheat days at all, except maybe to have a few alcoholic drinks!

tell me about it.. I'm trying to come back, yesterday was going good.. .then 6pm came and it all went downhill. Today I woke up super early and guess what,. I ended up with a starbucks in my hand. I will keep trying till I get it. I was doing soo good before my five day vacation and the results already show.. I will keep trying!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I was on the 2nd day atkins and I messed up so today I start over again.
    I'm going to do high intensity cardio work out today so I can get rid of the glutose (sp?)/sugar in my body.
    Friday is my weight in for other team. I doubt I will lose any weight this week. In fact I hope I would be happy if I don't gain any weight.

I don't have the strip to test for ketosis. Can you guys feel it when you get to that stage.
    I read the the breath would smell different but you can't really smell the different right?
    Someone has to tell you that.
  • punkinbaby1
    punkinbaby1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ok, i am new here, how do i "mark" this or whatever you do! I am restarting atkins and love all the info here.:smile:
  • louisee294
    louisee294 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    BUGGER! just read the Atkins website and realised i've been doing this wrong!! Apparently in the UK you don't have to subtract fibre. no wonder my weight loss is so freaking slow!!! what an idiot!
  • louisee294
    Options
    BUGGER! just read the Atkins website and realised i've been doing this wrong!! Apparently in the UK you don't have to subtract fibre. no wonder my weight loss is so freaking slow!!! what an idiot!

Worked out I've been having about 40grams, not 20 :( at least I know when I want to maintain that 40grams is fine lol :)
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options

That's weird. Why would you not subtract fiber? Are your food labels different or something? I'm sure atkins is the same the world over. Hehe
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I don't get it why in the induction stage, you can have 2 cups of jicama but only 1 cup of cabbage when jicama net carbs is more than cabbage.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't get it why in the induction stage, you can have 2 cups of jicama but only 1 cup of cabbage when jicama net carbs is more than cabbage.
    I'm not sure I see that restriction. The website just shows what is a salad veggie and what is not, there are no restrictions on how much of each you can eat as long as you stay under your 12-15 net grams of veggies. I eat lots of cabbage. I like it simply steamed with butter and salt.
  • louisee294
    Options

That's weird. Why would you not subtract fiber? Are your food labels different or something? I'm sure atkins is the same the world over. Hehe

apparently in the US carb counts on packaging are Carbs+Fibre, so in order to just count carbs you have to take out the fibre. In the UK Carbs are only carbs. Makes it very confusing when finding things on MFP because I dont know now whats with fibre and what isn't. guess I'#ll just have to look at the packets.
  • Gia6280
    Gia6280 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new to the Atkins thing too. So far though, it is the only thing that has ever helped me lose the weight.! I feel better than I ever have. You guys are all giving me great recipe and food ideas.

SW 150
    CW 142
    GW 130
  • dittiepe
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new to the Atkins thing too. So far though, it is the only thing that has ever helped me lose the weight.! I feel better than I ever have. You guys are all giving me great recipe and food ideas.

SW 150
    CW 142
    GW 130

Hi and welcome!
  • dittiepe
    Options

apparently in the US carb counts on packaging are Carbs+Fibre, so in order to just count carbs you have to take out the fibre. In the UK Carbs are only carbs. Makes it very confusing when finding things on MFP because I dont know now whats with fibre and what isn't. guess I'#ll just have to look at the packets.

Oh wow. Well that would be irritating alright. Leave it to the US to bungle up anything with numbers. LOL
  • martinah4
    Options
    I checked this magazine out from the library, because I wanted to read this article: Time, Sept. 12, 2011, "The Oz Diet". I wanted to see what he's spouting now, and am pleased that he is actually encouraging eggs, fat, and nuts. He seems to understand that fats like olive oil and omega-3's are good for us. But, he still touts that animal fats and cholestrol (from egg yolks, meats and dairy products) are bad. Overall, he preaches moderation. One egg a day, and people with high-cholestrol should be taken off of them.

Dr. Oz did condemn the label "Fat-free", but not for the reasons that Dr. Atkins did. His problem with fat-free is that it gives people the license to eat all the fat-free products they want.

The thing that really annoyed me about this article is that he devotes 5 long paragraphs to "fad" diets, and Atkins is at the top of his list. He still lumps Atkins in the group of "fad" diets that eliminate whole food groups, and tells everyone that the Atkins regimen is extremely high-protein. Let me just quote the whole paragraph:

"The Atkins regimen--lots of meat and very few carbohydrates (including the natural sugars in fruits and vegetables)--had been briefly popular more than 30 years earlier but became a cultural phenomoenon after the Times story breathed new life into it. market foreces fed the craze, with menus reformulated to remove the last detectable carbohydrate molecule and carb-free labels slapped on foods that never contained them in the first place. Artisanal bakers wept (no carbs means no baguettes), and the uberfaithful began to suffer the bad breath of ketoacidosis, which occurs when glycogen stores are too low."

He goes on to say that there was significant weight loss, but it wasn't being sustained. Also, the much-relied on meats can lead to inflammation and irritation, heart attacks and strokes.

South Beach and Paleo weren't left untouched, either. The main concern being about elminating whole grains and dairy products.

I guess the best I can say is that he agrees that we should eat foods that look like they did when they came out of the ground-whole foods.

Uggh.