Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    We have a TRILOGY people!!!!!!!!! Yay for Part 3 =)
  • HeartLunger
    Options
    We have a TRILOGY people!!!!!!!!! Yay for Part 3 =)

Yay!
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Woo! Part 3! We rock, that's why. Hehe
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Serious question for my LC buddies...

I know that we've read that we really don't "need" to count calories while eating LC. However, I've noticed that at least 3 days a week I tend to go WAY under. Like 700-900 calorie range. Is this something that needs to be addressed while eating LC?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I know that we've read that we really don't "need" to count calories while eating LC. However, I've noticed that at least 3 days a week I tend to go WAY under. Like 700-900 calorie range. Is this something that needs to be addressed while eating LC?
    You shouldn't be eating that few calories on any diet, IMHO. I usually eat too little on a regular basis, so I always try to eat more while eating LC because I'm trying to train my body into getting used to eating more calories once I reach my goal weight and switch to maintaining.
  • dittiepe
    Options

You shouldn't be eating that few calories on any diet, IMHO. I usually eat too little on a regular basis, so I always try to eat more while eating LC because I'm trying to train my body into getting used to eating more calories once I reach my goal weight and switch to maintaining.

I agree. You should be eating more. Even without LC, eating below 1100 calories slows your metabolism. It's hard for me, personally, because I had WLS and I just can't eat that much food. So I put oils and butter into my meals to give the calorie boost to at least close to 1200.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I've been at the exact same weight for over 2 weeks now on induction...no loss at all. I don't want to give up but I'm losing hope. I'm 7 pounds from goal. Can someone please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? My diary is open. Thanks
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    AK, I can only guess, but with you being so close to your ideal weight, it may take longer to lose. You can try reducing your calories by a few hundred/day and see if that has an effect.
  • dragondreamer
    Options
    Part 3??? This group needs it's own separate board!!!

Dittiepe thanks for the vegetarian suggestion. I'm on the Atkins website but still learning to navigate. I think getting my carbs /protein/calories in would still be easy because it would be vegetarian, not vegan. It still floors me that "technically" speaking heavy cream is better than my soy milk on Atkins!!

It's all just going to take practice and getting used to.

I've already made a single flax cracker and the original MIM so I'm already finding new recipes.

I do have tuna so I can start with that and see how it affects me off the digestive aid. I'll probably make a batch of crackers tonight to have with tuna (or egg???) salad tomorrow.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to find your guys.
    I'm starting to do Atkins today.
    I ate pork saussage & eggs this morning.
    I felt so guilty eating a fat breakfast

Any tips to help me stick to induction, the 1st 2 weeks?
  • louisee294
    louisee294 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

My tip is to see it as a learning process rather than a short term weight loss. Try not to weigh yourself. If you are sticking to it then you will lose a load of weight, but see it as the start of the journey.

Try to eat different food each day through induction, otherwise you will soon get fed up! Remember you can have fish and any type of fresh (unprocessed) meat. Make sure you eat your greens too! This is a great diet if you enjoy cooking, once you learn what you are allowed you can create endless amounts of different dishes. I find I eat 2 tomatoes a day to add some sweetness

Don't forget your 20g of carbs are net carbs, so eating your greens will allow you more carbs (net carbs = carbs- fibre)

I wouldn't jump straight in with the atkins products, as some people can't lose weight with them (I don't know why, but they seriously slowed me down) But on the other hand I found that I still lost eating almonds and macademia nuts. You just need to find what works for you! Good luck!!
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Part 3??? This group needs it's own separate board!!!

Dittiepe thanks for the vegetarian suggestion. I'm on the Atkins website but still learning to navigate. I think getting my carbs /protein/calories in would still be easy because it would be vegetarian, not vegan. It still floors me that "technically" speaking heavy cream is better than my soy milk on Atkins!!

It's all just going to take practice and getting used to.

I've already made a single flax cracker and the original MIM so I'm already finding new recipes.

I do have tuna so I can start with that and see how it affects me off the digestive aid. I'll probably make a batch of crackers tonight to have with tuna (or egg???) salad tomorrow.
    I eat egg and tuna salad using celery sticks to scoop it with. No crackers required!
  • dittiepe
    Options
    I love egg and tuna salad with celery sticks!

I posted some new recipes on my website yesterday. I forgot to mention to ya'll. All Atkins friendly :)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Yes, read the Phase 1 food lists and stock up with a wide variety of meats and vegetables. Make sure to watch your cheese consumption as it stalls many people out.

Listen to your body. If your feeling sluggish and weak, eat more fat and drink some water...........Don't force yourself to eat if your not hungry. Listen to your body and learn it. Your body communicates to tell you what it needs or don't need. Learn to eat intuitively.

You will find that you won't even need to count calories or carbs after a while.
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've been at the exact same weight for over 2 weeks now on induction...no loss at all. I don't want to give up but I'm losing hope. I'm 7 pounds from goal. Can someone please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? My diary is open. Thanks

Been there! I was stuck for months because I wasn't working the phases. I found that if you have less to lose you do have to watch calories too and also kind of calorie cycle. I have lost 40 lbs this year by watching not only carbs but my calories. I know that in the beginning it wasn't necessary for me. I never watched calories but if your closer to goal you may need to. Am I saying your eating too much? NO way! Actually you could be eating to little. If I eat too little I stall but if I eat too much I stall. There is this "LITTLE" window i have to stick between on carbs and calories. You may need to up your carbs a bit. It's a wait and see game though. You have to give your body time to adjust to each change. Also, don't let it get bored. I yo yo my calories within 200 calories either way to keep it guessing. I am so close to goal I can taste it and will not give up.

By the way EVERYONE MY SON THE MARINE IS SAFELY IN THE UNITED STATES AGAIN! OOH RAH ...KISS IT DEPLOYMENT!
  • SueInAz
    Options

Been there! I was stuck for months because I wasn't working the phases. I found that if you have less to lose you do have to watch calories too and also kind of calorie cycle. I have lost 40 lbs this year by watching not only carbs but my calories. I know that in the beginning it wasn't necessary for me. I never watched calories but if your closer to goal you may need to. Am I saying your eating too much? NO way! Actually you could be eating to little. If I eat too little I stall but if I eat too much I stall. There is this "LITTLE" window i have to stick between on carbs and calories. You may need to up your carbs a bit. It's a wait and see game though. You have to give your body time to adjust to each change. Also, don't let it get bored. I yo yo my calories within 200 calories either way to keep it guessing. I am so close to goal I can taste it and will not give up.

By the way EVERYONE MY SON THE MARINE IS SAFELY IN THE UNITED STATES AGAIN! OOH RAH ...KISS IT DEPLOYMENT!
    Whoo hoo! Congrats on having your son back on US soil!

I find myself sometimes wondering if I'll be able to actually maintain my goal weight with as specific as I have to be to keep losing weight. LOL You'd have to hope that maintaining will be easier, right? Right?
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!

I hope I can join in with you.,.,..I am doing a modified Atkins plan. I did Atkins about 8 years ago and lost 56lbs. I stopped caring and gained it back. But now, I am on a mission!! I want to get to my goal by my birthday next year. I would love to be under 200 by New Year's but not sure that's gonna happen. I've been on the MFP site since July 1. I started going to the gym July 15, and I've lost inches, but not lbs. So, I am guessing it was the carbs once again - lots of bread, etc. So, I have cut out all refined carbs and the scale has started moving again. I had been stuck for 4 weeks.

It's nice to see an Atkins group on here :)
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    oooh, tuna or egg salad in a lettuce wrap sounds good right now!!

I think my wonky stomach issues have (mostly) gone away, thank good ness! Back to enjoying the tasty bacon & eggs for breakfast! :love:
  • MjDavis1981
    MjDavis1981 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am fairly new to the community and I am also doing Low Carbs and High Protein. Was wondering if I can join your group so I can learn more about this lifestyle? I don't want to call it a diet because that seems temporary to me. I am looking for a more permanent change to my life.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Hi, I am fairly new to the community and I am also doing Low Carbs and High Protein. Was wondering if I can join your group so I can learn more about this lifestyle? I don't want to call it a diet because that seems temporary to me. I am looking for a more permanent change to my life.
    You are certainly welcome here! We're on the third iteration of this thread. You can find the first two by clicking the link on the very first post in each thread.