Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It is a good article. I'd rather use finely ground pork rinds for meatloaf than low carb bread, though.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Hi I just started Fitnesspal but have been on Atkins since 8/15. I have lost 8 lbs. and totally enjoy all the protein. I need some help with how you track your carbs on this site? I am very slowly moving into phase 2 but I am keeping to the 15-20 carbs with a few additional foods like nuts. I have not had a chance to read all the posts for this group so if you could help me out I will get to reading asap.

You can tweak what nutrients your diary shows in the Diary Settings feature: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

I've changed mine round so I can see exactly how much fibre as well as protein I am getting (minus the fibre from the carbs at the bottom of your diary to calculate your 'net carbs' that Atkins works to).

Just make sure you log everything that you eat and drink (if you have a smart phone you can even scan the barcodes of what you are eating for quick uploads) and keep an eye on the figures at the bottom of your diary. Although Atkins is not all about calorie counting, I still keep check on mine using the diary.

And if you get stuck - just post on here again. Lots of lovely helpful people!
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Hi I just started Fitnesspal but have been on Atkins since 8/15. I have lost 8 lbs. and totally enjoy all the protein. I need some help with how you track your carbs on this site? I am very slowly moving into phase 2 but I am keeping to the 15-20 carbs with a few additional foods like nuts. I have not had a chance to read all the posts for this group so if you could help me out I will get to reading asap.
    You should be tracking net carbs so you'll want to set MFP up so you can see both carbs and fiber. You'll subtract your fiber total from your carb total when looking at your total for the day. It's really that simple.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I finally got the Keto Strips. I did my first keto test and I am somewhere between negative and trace....I thought I had been doing really well, but somewhere along the line I am not quite reaching ketosis for some reason. Hmmm...guess I will have to dig deeper and find out what I am eating that is wrong....

...but should''t 20g of carbs NET still get a darker pink/purple reading if those 20 carbs are coming from acceptable foods?
  • metromom1
    Options
    thank you for the info. on the account stuff. I wrote everything and came up with 56 carbs according to fitnesspal. Adkins says I had 5. This is going to take some getting use to.
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hope your all having a great evening. Finally I did it. I'm in the 140's for the first time in 24 yrs. Haven't seen them since I was 14 yrs old! I owe so much to Dr. Atkins and the low carb lifestyle. I have learned so much and continue to do so everyday. Don't give up ..it takes time to gain it and it takes time to lose it right.

God bless
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Hope your all having a great evening. Finally I did it. I'm in the 140's for the first time in 24 yrs. Haven't seen them since I was 14 yrs old! I owe so much to Dr. Atkins and the low carb lifestyle. I have learned so much and continue to do so everyday. Don't give up ..it takes time to gain it and it takes time to lose it right.

God bless
    Whoo hoo! Congrats to you!

I know just how you feel! Yesterday when the scale said 125 I did a little happy dance. I haven't seen 125 since about 2002 or 2003. It's taken me 6 months to lose almost 15 pounds and I have been feeling so frustrated with the plateaus and re-gaining a few pounds to lose them for a few days and then re-gain them. Finally seeing those numbers on the scale made most of the pain and heartache worth it.

We both have a little ways still to hit our goal weights and we CAN do it!
  • eegrieger
    Options
    just started Atkins about a month ago, and it's working really well for me. I'm a BIG meat eater so I'm pretty much in heaven :) Glad to find a group I can relate to!!
  • louisee294
    louisee294 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've made a new discovery this week in Sainsburys.

A range of ready meals that are low carb, the company is "look what we found" and there are loads of different ones, some no wheat, some no gluten, and 3 of them I have discovered are quite low carb and very tasty.

Beef and basil meatballs 6.3 net carbs
    chunky beef chilli 6 net carbs
    veal and mushroom stroganoff 6.3 net carbs.

There are also 3 with higher carbs but on a maintainence plan they would be fine

Fellside beef chilli 13.2 NC
    Beef bolognese 12 NC
    Venison stew 12.3 NC

They have a long date as they are in the tins isle, not refrigerated.
  • HeartLunger
    Options
    Official weigh in today showed a 1lb loss. I believe my sodium intake was too high as I don't understand how I could lose 16lbs in the previous two weeks (and I had several adult libations over Labor Day weekend) and only lose 1lb this week. :(. I believe I stayed under 30 net carbs each day, and I have ran 4 days this week. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

On a bright side, I received three compliments yesterday! One was from my buddy, and it's part of man law that you don't compliment another dude on their weight loss. Lol. Anyhow, that told me that it must be noticiable.
  • louisee294
    louisee294 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to not get hung up on the scale. Measure yourself weekly, because if you don't lose on the scale you will usually lose on the measuring tape.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    I finally got the Keto Strips. I did my first keto test and I am somewhere between negative and trace....I thought I had been doing really well, but somewhere along the line I am not quite reaching ketosis for some reason. Hmmm...guess I will have to dig deeper and find out what I am eating that is wrong....

...but should''t 20g of carbs NET still get a darker pink/purple reading if those 20 carbs are coming from acceptable foods?

The amount of ketones the strips show is irrelevent. If you even have a trace amount of ketones, you're in ketosis. The amount of ketones that show up will vary hour to hour. Having a darker color doesn't mean you're burning more fat or using more calories. The strips are only showing how many ketones are being expelled through your urine.

Relax, kick back with a couple strips of bacon and let your body burn your fat. :wink:
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Official weigh in today showed a 1lb loss. I believe my sodium intake was too high as I don't understand how I could lose 16lbs in the previous two weeks (and I had several adult libations over Labor Day weekend) and only lose 1lb this week. :(. I believe I stayed under 30 net carbs each day, and I have ran 4 days this week. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

On a bright side, I received three compliments yesterday! One was from my buddy, and it's part of man law that you don't compliment another dude on their weight loss. Lol. Anyhow, that told me that it must be noticiable.

Looks like another person waiting on a visit from the whoosh fairy. :laugh:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Man Law! I love it LOLOLOL

Off topic but it reminds me of a conversation DH and I had a few weeks ago

Me: Can I borrow your power drill real quick to install a towel bar behind the bathroom door?

DH: My power drill? I can't let you use that. YOu know how much trouble I could get into?

Me: With who?

DH: The Guy Police

LOLOLOL I love him! Not only did I use his power drill, but I sanded down my cabinet frames with a belt sander and orbital sander that weekend doing a DIY kitchen renovation.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Congrats, Soulthinker! You are truly an inspiration to me!!!
  • martinah4
    Options
    SO, after dealing with my 9 year old sons homework for 2 1/2 weeks now, I'd like to take a poll. What is an acceptable amount of homework for a 9 year old 4th grader? My son has been averaging 1 1/2 to two hours of homework. A night. I find this a little excessive.
  • martinah4
    Options
    And on a completely different topic, did anyone happen to read the new article in Time (maybe it was Newsweek) by Dr. Ornish on how we should be eating now? I was itching to read the article while in line to pay for my groceries, but didn't have to except to skim through. Thoughts, anyone?
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    SO, after dealing with my 9 year old sons homework for 2 1/2 weeks now, I'd like to take a poll. What is an acceptable amount of homework for a 9 year old 4th grader? My son has been averaging 1 1/2 to two hours of homework. A night. I find this a little excessive.

Hmm, my only kid is only three so I haven't been there yet. I think an hour and a half max is acceptable, and even that should be reserved for the weekends only. I like the idea of kids having time to do activities on some of the weekdays too.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    I don't think my son had nearly that much homework at that age, but he did two years later when he entered the gifted middle school program. Of course, he was also the kind to do as much of his work at school as possible. He always wanted to finish. I had to force him to slow down and double-check his work for mistakes.
  • SueInAz
    Options

Looks like another person waiting on a visit from the whoosh fairy. :laugh:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
    Just what I was thinking!

OP, be sure you're measuring yourself every few weeks; waist, hips, thigh circumference, etc. You'll find that you will lose inches when you aren't losing pounds and then suddenly you'll drop a few pounds, which means you had a visit from "The Whoosh Fairy."