Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    For those of you doing a lot of cardio and the weight is not coming off..............remember that chronic cardio raises cotrisol levels and can make weight loss come to a stand still.

Strength training is so much more important than cardio. Little cardio is good.
  • nrtenagrl
    nrtenagrl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow will be a whole 7 days on Atkins! I have to say that although it is a challenge to not eat that tortilla, or banana.. or like today, hot chocolate with a concha (sweet bread) it has been great. I don't feel terrible after every meal, I feel satisfied, not stuffed. I think I have lost around 5lbs,. which may be water weight but still its loosing something. The only thing is that I do feel that I need a nap almost everyday :) (that might be the lazy me trying to take over!) but with two kids,.. no can do. Good luck to all those beginning this journey, and to the healthy me longing to come out. I can't wait to update with more exciting news!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow will be a whole 7 days on Atkins! I have to say that although it is a challenge to not eat that tortilla, or banana.. or like today, hot chocolate with a concha (sweet bread) it has been great. I don't feel terrible after every meal, I feel satisfied, not stuffed. I think I have lost around 5lbs,. which may be water weight but still its loosing something. The only thing is that I do feel that I need a nap almost everyday :) (that might be the lazy me trying to take over!) but with two kids,.. no can do. Good luck to all those beginning this journey, and to the healthy me longing to come out. I can't wait to update with more exciting news!
    The loss in energy is pretty normal at first. You'll feel it start to pick up pretty soon and then you'll feel great!
  • fatcitizen
    fatcitizen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I tried pork rinds this week and they are good....didn't think I would like them but they are a wonderful "crunch" when the hubby and I are watching a movie.
    I see some talking about using them a breading and am going to try it soon.
    I have stalled the last couple of days, but nothing new.....
    A new goal has been set....We are going to re-new our vows and have big party on our 30th anniversary (which is in October 2014) and I would :heart: to wear my wedding dress.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    The loss in energy is pretty normal at first. You'll feel it start to pick up pretty soon and then you'll feel great!

True...if you stick with it, your energy will come back. I felt fatigue for about 2 weeks, but now have a ton of energy!
  • martinah4
    Options
    I tried pork rinds this week and they are good....didn't think I would like them but they are a wonderful "crunch" when the hubby and I are watching a movie.
    I see some talking about using them a breading and am going to try it soon.
    I have stalled the last couple of days, but nothing new.....
    A new goal has been set....We are going to re-new our vows and have big party on our 30th anniversary (which is in October 2014) and I would :heart: to wear my wedding dress.

The pork rinds are good. My husband uses them as the breading in meatballs, and even the kids love them!
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options

True...if you stick with it, your energy will come back. I felt fatigue for about 2 weeks, but now have a ton of energy!

Make sure you're getting your fats in. That will help with the energy levels.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how many calories everyone is intaking daily? I am really short and have lost the majority of my weight so far on 1200 calories a day. Do I need to watch my calories as well as my carbs? I only have about 15 lbs to lose and have been on Induction for 5 days (with no cheating) but I feel like if I watched my calories as well that I may be able to lose the weight? Any advice.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    I was wondering how many calories everyone is intaking daily? I am really short and have lost the majority of my weight so far on 1200 calories a day. Do I need to watch my calories as well as my carbs? I only have about 15 lbs to lose and have been on Induction for 5 days (with no cheating) but I feel like if I watched my calories as well that I may be able to lose the weight? Any advice.
    I'm bad and often don't eat all of my calories while on Atkins. I find it difficult at times to find something I can eat or want to eat, at the end of the day, so often just don't. That said, I always try to get at least 1200 net but my actual goal is 1500.
  • louisee294
    louisee294 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Opinions please!

Last night I had macademia nuts for the first time, and noticed that they have more fibre than carbs (30g, 1 carb, 3 fibre) and I'd also had quite a lot of veg in the day. so I ended up with 35g carbs and 25g fibre so net carbs of 10g.

I didn't want to eat any more carbs to boost it up to 20, as 35 grams before the fibre was taken off seemed too much.

What do you think?
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I usually get anywhere from 1200-1500....1700 on a day where I go all out! But typically it is between the 1200-1500 mark, although some days I struggle to get 1200 if I overthink what I eat too much!!!
  • HeartLunger
    Options
    Opinions please!

Last night I had macademia nuts for the first time, and noticed that they have more fibre than carbs (30g, 1 carb, 3 fibre) and I'd also had quite a lot of veg in the day. so I ended up with 35g carbs and 25g fibre so net carbs of 10g.

I didn't want to eat any more carbs to boost it up to 20, as 35 grams before the fibre was taken off seemed too much.

What do you think?

I think you may be mistaken on the nutritional date of the macadamia nuts. See here: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3123/2
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Opinions please!

What do you think?

I think you may be mistaken on the nutritional date of the macadamia nuts. See here: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3123/2
    I was thinking the same thing. About half of the carbs in a macadamia nut comes from fiber. Fiber is a carb, so there CAN'T be more fiber than carbs. You probably picked an entry where someone did the "net carb" thing for the carb total on the entry so they don't have to do the math for themselves in their diary every day. I see that a lot.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Well, it looks like I'm starting to have consistent loss rather than having to wait for the WF every few weeks. And even though I've still been losing, I've been battling with self-doubt the past few days. I love the weight loss, but I hate the lack of energy. I have been forgetting to take my vitamins, so I'm going to make sure I take them everyday this week and see if it has any effect.
  • louisee294
    louisee294 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Opinions please!

What do you think?

I was thinking the same thing. About half of the carbs in a macadamia nut comes from fiber. Fiber is a carb, so there CAN'T be more fiber than carbs. You probably picked an entry where someone did the "net carb" thing for the carb total on the entry so they don't have to do the math for themselves in their diary every day. I see that a lot.

Ah right- yes I think you are right about it being the net carbs, not the real carbs!
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Well, it looks like I'm starting to have consistent loss rather than having to wait for the WF every few weeks. And even though I've still been losing, I've been battling with self-doubt the past few days. I love the weight loss, but I hate the lack of energy. I have been forgetting to take my vitamins, so I'm going to make sure I take them everyday this week and see if it has any effect.

LOL, thanks for mentioning the vitamins! I keep forgetting mine too and I'm going to go take them RIGHT NOW! :)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

LOL, thanks for mentioning the vitamins! I keep forgetting mine too and I'm going to go take them RIGHT NOW! :)

I am getting back on my vitamin d and b12 regimen. The only place I am lacking.
  • gcineas
    gcineas Posts: 121
    Options
    how do you all count net carbs? I have been doing research and there are all sorts of theories on how to calculate it. net carbs= carbs - (fiber+sugar alcohol) or net carbs= carbs- fiber.

I guess I should just run an experiement and see which causes me to gain?
  • martinah4
    Options

Don't forget your fish oil! Don't be down, you're doing great! Make sure you're eating enough and not overdoing it on the non-veggie carbs, and your energy should come back!

SO, it sounds like you're done with the WF, so please send her to my house! Thanks!
  • martinah4
    Options
    how do you all count net carbs? I have been doing research and there are all sorts of theories on how to calculate it. net carbs= carbs - (fiber+sugar alcohol) or net carbs= carbs- fiber.

I guess I should just run an experiement and see which causes me to gain?

I only count carbs minus fiber. On the Atkins bars, I take out fiber and sugar alcohols, but I don't eat anything else with sugar alcohols that I'm aware of. (now I'm going to look more closely at everything I buy). I've heard that sugar alcohols can cause your weight loss to stall. In fact, my Atkins book says that if you are experiencing a stall or plateau, you should cut out the bars (I'm guessing because of the sugar alcohols).