Atkins Support Group

Options

Replies

• nrtenagrl
    nrtenagrl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Today in my food diary I ended up with 25 carbs and 7 of fiber... I did ok right? I'm in phase 1
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    UGH....I consumed about 150g of fat today...and likely over on NET carbs....I probably ended up at about 25 or 30....not horrible, but the fat grams are enough to be totally ashamed of. Hopefully such a high fat consumption today (and not even good fats at that) wont totally derail me....and my calories were so high too...I can't remember the last time I had above 1400, let alone 2000!!!

...I know we are not supposed to count fat and calories, but I cant help it on here if I want to keep track of the carbs too...

The more fat you eat and keep protein moderate the faster the fat will shed from your body. Nothing at all to be ashamed of!!!
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I am struggling today. I am staying within carbs, but my lovely monthly visitor is near and I am craving cream cheese!!! I've mixed up some with a little splenda to curb the craving (luckily no junk food/ non-Atkins food cravings) but it is still awful! I am constantly hungry today and am like a bottomless pit...

...does anybody else get this way on Atkins when that time is near? (Sorry for the TMI)

I have been averaging 1500 calories per day but less than 20g of carbs, but yesterday I ate 2400 calories (still 18 carbs) . I too was so hungry and craving. I have noticed that if I go low for a few days on my calories 1000 - 1200 that every so often I have a starving day! I do not go over carbs but wow, my fat grams are high! lol
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I like my fat with a side of fat.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I like my fat with a side of fat.

:laugh: So true!
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    AHEM AHEM *clears throat*

My new avi is a picture I just took of myself. I bought these pants less than four weeks ago and the waist is already about two inches too big. I guess I'll be doing some sewing this weekend. Oh yeah, I sew =)

I started tracking my progress on August 9th. As to be expected, I did not take any measurements lol. But, I did lose 11.1 pounds in this month. I'm very happy and contribute a lot of it to the support and advice I found here. I glittery heart you guys <3
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Today in my food diary I ended up with 25 carbs and 7 of fiber... I did ok right? I'm in phase 1

That's not bad. I tend to try getting at least 15g of fiber/ day personally. How many of your net carbs were veggies?
  • dittiepe
    Options
    I reached my first goal weight yesterday :) I'm so proud of me! Ya'll have been a great help! :flowerforyou:
  • SWC54
    SWC54 Posts: 14
    Options
    I have been doing pretty well with watching the carbs. The last few days have been eating way less than usual--barely hitting the goal #'s. then last night blew through take out Chinese which I knew was so gross...walk away from the Chinese food! but I was starving, why why why .........now the weekend is here, I am up another pound.this weekend- two dinners out that I know about.......how do you all deal with going out to dinner? i know i way under estimate the cals/carbs/ etc. i feel like i am living on hardboiled eggs, and dinners out. has to be a better mind set.
  • SWC54
    SWC54 Posts: 14
    Options
    :mad:
  • dittiepe
    Options
    I have been doing pretty well with watching the carbs. The last few days have been eating way less than usual--barely hitting the goal #'s. then last night blew through take out Chinese which I knew was so gross...walk away from the Chinese food! but I was starving, why why why .........now the weekend is here, I am up another pound.this weekend- two dinners out that I know about.......how do you all deal with going out to dinner? i know i way under estimate the cals/carbs/ etc. i feel like i am living on hardboiled eggs, and dinners out. has to be a better mind set.

Salad first. fill up on that and then go for a steamed unbreaded meal of some sort. Eat the protein portion and then veggies if you can.
  • gcineas
    gcineas Posts: 121
    Options
    congrats!!
  • gcineas
    gcineas Posts: 121
    Options
    when I go out to eat I just order a big plate of meat...if the dish comes with a carb I just ask them not to add it. I normally just have a steak or some fish!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I reached my first goal weight yesterday :) I'm so proud of me! Ya'll have been a great help! :flowerforyou:
    Whoo hoo!

The Whoosh Fairy hung around for another day. Lost another 1.8 pounds since yesterday! There's still a little more to go because my rings are still tight and my ankles are still swollen, but almost there!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    when I go out to eat I just order a big plate of meat...if the dish comes with a carb I just ask them not to add it. I normally just have a steak or some fish!
    I've been known to do that, too, or ask if I can substitute a steamed vegetable side for the baked potato or rice. Most places are more than happy to accommodate you.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should know the answer to this... but just wondered if anyone had any advice...

Most weekends I go hiking - around 4/5 hours and 2,000ft-3,000ft. I much prefer it to going to the gym and do it for love of it, rather than for exercise. Only problem is, if I don't have carbs before setting off, after about 1.5 hours I start to feel deathly ill and shaky (I'm asthmatic too, which doesn't help).

I've read posts with people saying it's possible to do marathons on low carb etc etc but I'm not massively fit and it just doesn't feel right not to have carbs.

Last weekend I gave up on Atkins for the day and had sugarfree museli with soya milk for breakfast and had a sandwich on the walk (wholemeal bread) and (gulp!) a bar of chocolate and a banana.

Despite staying within 1,200 calories for the day and burning off around 3,000 calories on the walk, my weight had bumped up 2lbs the next day. It has taken me all week to get those pounds back off.

Is it really possible to do low carb when exercising for several hours? Any ideas on what I can take to eat on the walk?
  • AlyRoseNYC
    Options
    Maybe I should know the answer to this... but just wondered if anyone had any advice...

Most weekends I go hiking - around 4/5 hours and 2,000ft-3,000ft. I much prefer it to going to the gym and do it for love of it, rather than for exercise. Only problem is, if I don't have carbs before setting off, after about 1.5 hours I start to feel deathly ill and shaky (I'm asthmatic too, which doesn't help).

I've read posts with people saying it's possible to do marathons on low carb etc etc but I'm not massively fit and it just doesn't feel right not to have carbs.

Last weekend I gave up on Atkins for the day and had sugarfree museli with soya milk for breakfast and had a sandwich on the walk (wholemeal bread) and (gulp!) a bar of chocolate and a banana.

Despite staying within 1,200 calories for the day and burning off around 3,000 calories on the walk, my weight had bumped up 2lbs the next day. It has taken me all week to get those pounds back off.

Is it really possible to do low carb when exercising for several hours? Any ideas on what I can take to eat on the walk?

To be honest, I would have eaten a slice of bread with butter or something. Or maybe some strawberries. Just enough to make me feel better.
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options

I don't do workouts that go past an hour, but the workouts I do are pretty vigorous (40/50 lb kettlebell). I used to hit a wall if I didn't have a banana or apple a few hours before a workout. The past few weeks, I've had more than enough energy without needing a quick carb up. I guess my body is pretty well adjusted to working out without carbs.

I'd suggest you try a quick carb snack before working out while you're starting out.
  • nrtenagrl
    nrtenagrl Posts: 138 Member
    Options

That's not bad. I tend to try getting at least 15g of fiber/ day personally. How many of your net carbs were veggies?
    [/quote

I don't know the exact answer to that, however I believe most of them were from veggies. Also, Cooking at home consist of a lot of tomato and onions those are kind of like a staple to any meal... If you get the chance and want to help me a bit my food diary is open to friends/ public. You might have a tip or two to offer! Thanks
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

Bananas!! Sweet potatoes and more bananas lol. I play women's rugby and still do lowerish carb - it's not 4-5 hours of exercise, but it's pretty intense 2 hour practices and 80-minute almost non-stop games (think american football, but you play both offense and defense, and the clock keeps running like in soccer with no timeouts). Throughout the week I'm around 50 net carbs average, but I'll eat a bit more today for a game tomorrow (but I'll probably still be under 100).

Also, I believe the latest book (New Atkins for a New You, I'm in the middle of it), says don't go more than 4-5 hours without eating? Nuts would be another option to bring along, should have enough fat to help slow down the insulin spike from the carbs. Beef jerky, but beware of added sugar in commercial varieties.

There's a book called The Paleo Diet for Athletes by Loren Cordain, which addresses low carb for marathoners & triathletes. Unfortunately he didn't say much of anything about team sport athletes other than he didn't think they needed extra carbs since it wasn't over an hour.... :grumble: But the marathoners do have to eat extra carbs prior to races, during, and after in his book, but only then. The rest of the time should be low carb.

BTW I'm new to this group, I've been lurking for a while though! I'm a friend of Amy's :flowerforyou: